7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 2:59 PM by SueCampbell54

Auto size text box on master page not working

SueCampbell54 Level 1

I am using running headers in a book and populating them with variable text. The headers use a top and bottom rule that are the length of the text box containing the header. But I want each one to vary by the length of the text. The the text is centered so that an ornament running above and below the two rules and text stays centered. I have selected ”Auto Width” in the text box (from left or right depending on which page it is) and set a minimum width. The problem is that the auto width doesn’t seem to work. When the Variable text exceeds the width of the box it just squishes the letters together rather than extending the width of the box to fit the contents. Any ideas?

This is how they are supposed to look (this is the minimum width I've set.)

Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 10.50.36 AM.png

But is the text gets longer it just squishes the text and doesn't grow the box. (from left to right) I want the folios to stay where thay are.

Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 10.52.48 AM.png

If I center the text in a longer box and use rules to text length and forgo the auto size I get this. I don't want the folios to move from the corner.

Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 10.57.02 AM.png

If I make it flush left I get this

Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 10.58.28 AM.png

I can't really make the ornament centered and the text with rules flush left, as the oranment will center to the box not the text.

My auto size settings are: Auto size On, Width only from left (or right for right hand pages) with a minimum size set to 1.5" wide. Is there something I've missed or a work around? Text is really going to be variable and I can't set these manually in a long book!

Shouldn't this work??

Thanks,

Sue