3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 5:11 PM by a C student

How do you add alternate text to a child tag?

PixelTwisted

I have a link that I've added alternative text to but it does not show when I mouse over it. Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do you add alternate text to a child tag?
          a C student Level 3

Greetings,

Are you displaying the document in Acrobat, a browser, or some form of assistive technology? Alt text is used by assistive technology. For example a screen reader will speak the alt text instead of whatever it is set as an alternative to. It isn't mouseover text. To the best of my knowledge Acrobat provides no easy way of setting mouseover text when the document is viewed in Acrobat or a web browser - someone please correct me if there is a way to do this.

Hope this helps.

a 'C' student

• 2. Re: How do you add alternate text to a child tag?
            PixelTwisted Level 1

These PDFs are posted online. I've checked them online, in different browsers and there is no ALT text display on mousevover. Acrobat only displays the hyperlink and not the ALT text on mouseover.

I tested the links with JAWs and it reads "link" before the text. Is this the best solution for making links accessible?

Thank you for your quick response.

ta

• 3. Re: How do you add alternate text to a child tag?
              a C student Level 3

Yes, assuming that your alt text accurately and concisely describes the function of the link, and you have included the proper link structure in the tags, that is the WCAG recommendation and PDF/UA requirement for an accessible link.