7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 4:14 PM by Rallymax-forum

What format to export to?

Adrtghhjj Level 1

I have a completed project for a movie about 2h in length. I need to know what format to export it into before I take the resulting file and make it into a blu-ray. I am interested mainly in what format(s) is used in the "industry"/by the pros, at this step. As high quality as possible would be a bonus, too.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: What format to export to?
          Adrtghhjj Level 1

I'm afraid none of the above links helped. They get into intricacies but don't specify what formats are good at what jobs. BTW I don't work with 3rd parties so I don't have the problems associated with that.

Here is a list of export formats from Premiere: Animated GIF, AVI, DNxHD MXF OP1a, F4V, FLV, H.264, H.264  Blu-ray, MPEG2, MPEG4, P2 Movie, WMV.

I just want to know which of them are best for a feature film (as opposed to Youtube videos).

If someone in Hollywood made a movie, what format(s) would they usually export it to before sending it to Blu-Ray?

• 3. Re: What format to export to?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to make a BluRay you choose a format from the Export Settings either H.264 BluRay or mpeg BluRay.

H.264 is known to give the best picture quality.

Choose a preset that matches your timeline.

• 4. Re: What format to export to?
              Adrtghhjj Level 1

Ann Bens wrote:

If you want to make a BluRay you choose a format from the Export Settings either H.264 BluRay or mpeg BluRay.

H.264 is known to give the best picture quality.

By mpeg BluRay you mean mpeg2 BluRay or mpeg4? As mpeg BluRay doesn't appear in my formats list.

"Choose a preset that matches your timeline": What exactly does this mean? The duration of the project?

And thanks for the Blu-Ray info.

• 5. Re: What format to export to?
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are but two BluRay formats so yes mpeg2-BluRay.

If you got e.g. 1440x1080 par 1.33 25 fps on the timeline choose an setting that matches that.

• 6. Re: What format to export to?
                  SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

To clarify/consolidate some of the above info, the official Blu-ray specification is, well...pretty specific. The content on the disc must be either MPEG-2 or H.264, and of a specific kind of MPEG-2 or H.264. You can take an .avi or whatever into Encore, but Encore will transcode that material to the proper format to meet Blu-Ray specs before burning. Even if it is H.264, but not the "right kind" such as meant for YouTube, it will have to be transcoded to meet Blu-Ray specs.

In AME, you should see "H.264 Blu-ray" and "MPEG-2 Blu-Ray" options. Further, there will then be multiple presets available for each, and that is where the "Match the timeline" comes into play. If using HDV source material, such as 1080i 29.97 at 1440x1080 resolution, then you will find a 1440x1080 preset to match. For full HD, there are 1920x1080 options and make sure to match frame rate. Not all frame rates are supported though, so there may be a conversion needed.

As H.264 is a more efficient codec, it is the better choice for quality, though at a high bitrate MPEG-2 and H.264 may have similar quality. H.264 can pack more quality into a smaller file, so for longer videos (lower bitrate) then H.264 has the definite advantage. Basically no reason to even use MPEG-2, unless maybe doing some quickie proof and you think MPEG-2 will encode quicker to meet a deadline perhaps.

Once you choose the correct preset, the only adjustment in the settings to consider is the bitrate - if it is too high, the encoded file may be too large to fit the disc, then Encore will be forced to transcode (re-encode) the material again to a lower bitrate. There is a size estimate shown at lower left of AME window, but that is not always accurate. You may want to consult an online "bitrate calculator" - you just punch in the specs of the disc (DVD or Blu-ray, length, etc.) and it will recommend a data rate to use.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 7. Re: What format to export to?
                    Rallymax-forum Level 3

For a feature film you would first export to a Digital Master for long term storage.

Popular Digital Intermediates these days are

AVID DNxHD

Apple ProRes4444 (Mac only)

From there you have your "MASTER".

Then you would drop the MASTER into Adobe Media Encoder (AME) and encode it for final production.

For Bluray that is typically h.264*

For DVD it is MPEG2

*If you want the absolute best quality output for bluray without paying $500,000 for a hollywood-grade encoder go with the 3rd party plugin x264pro