4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 12:18 PM by vectyr

Keeping animation in a graphic in an armature

vectyr

So I have a character I'm animating. I have the whole character set up in an armature and the head is a graphic with animated frames inside. As the animation plays, the head graphic starts over every time it hits a keyframe on the armature.

Is there a way to just have the graphic continue to play without starting over?

• 1. Re: Keeping animation in a graphic in an armature
          Asymetrical Adobe Community Professional

Absolutely. What's happening most likely is that your symbol is restarting from frame 1 each time it hits a keyframe. Go to the properties box and look to see if the symbol is looping and on each keyframe change the nuber value to the frame the playhead is actually one and it will stop.

Properites box.JPG

• 2. Re: Keeping animation in a graphic in an armature
            vectyr Level 1

So I actually figured this out about an hour after posting this message and while it DOES work, that's just a really ghetto way of handling it, imo.

It there no other way?

• 3. Re: Keeping animation in a graphic in an armature
              Asymetrical Adobe Community Professional

Well I agree it's not the best way to animate for some, but in fairness to Adobe, I wouldn't call it 'ghetto' as much as that you didnt correctly set up your scene in the first place or plan out your animation beforehand. If you had set the symbol on frame 1 to be single frame from the getgo you wouldn't have had that problem. Symbols always start out with Loop at default.  Granted, that seems silly once you know that fact, but it's probably like that to show it's even possible. Animating in Flash in 80% preperation. The only thing you could do is to go to an earlier version of Flash. What's causing it is the little lines sperating the keyframes. They weren't there prior to Flash CS5 and they actually allow you to change a symbol on the fly in a Tween which wasn't possible before that. It's actually VERY useful.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Keeping animation in a graphic in an armature
                vectyr Level 1

I don't think that it is a preparation issue. I need the head graphic to play continually and not restart every time I add a keyframe. There's no reasonable way to prepare for that, you just have to manually select every keyframe and set that graphic to play from that frame. This is horribly inconvenient. Shouldn't there be an option to allow you to chose one way or the other. If I remember correctly the graphics used to play continually in CS4.

With motion tweens, there's a checkbox for "sync" and this will keep the graphic from resetting on each keyframe. It would make sense that there would be functionality to do this for armatures as well.

I agree that changing the symbol on the fly in a tween is useful in SOME cases but in the case of animating a head on a character which seems like a pretty common thing to do, this "new" functionality is counterproductive.

Unless I am missing a setting or something somewhere, which I hope I am.