3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 7:09 AM by Doc Maik

Preflight panel not displaying / broken

stdausgfx

The Preflight panel will not display. Invoking it from the main menu (Window > Output > Preflight), or the bottom of the document window or via the keyboard shortcut - none of them work - the preflight panel appears for the briefest moment and then disappears. No other part of the interface appears to be broken or behave the same way.

System

Mac OS 10.6.8, InDesign CC version 9 and Indesign CC version 9.1

Previous versions:

Exact same behaviour in CS6 (8.0.1)

Works fine in CS5.5 (v7.5.3)

Steps taken to troubleshoot:

Replicated the problem in a Mac OS X guest account.

Replicated the problem after resetting the preferences (as described in Troubleshooting 101 post: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990?start=160&tstart=0 )

Tried disabling preflight (via bottom-of-document preflight menu). Tried creating new profiles.

Deleted / reinstalled the preflight profiles?

Not sure how I might do this, but it has occured to me this might be worth pursuing.

Using non-standard preflight profiles ?

No, using the supplied preflight profile.

Any troubleshooting advice appreciated...

• 1. Re: Preflight panel not displaying / broken
          stdausgfx Level 1

Turns out, I managed to get the Preflight panel to display. Here's how: I changed workspace to one that included the Preflight panel ("Printing and proofing"). Simple as that.

However, the problem persists when trying to invoke the panel from the bottom-of-window preflight menu, or from the keyboard shortcut - the preflight panel will still flash and disappear instantly. This must be some sort of UI bug.

Nevertheless, I now have a workaround.

• 2. Re: Preflight panel not displaying / broken
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The behavior you describe is not normal, and not reported by other users, making it highly unlikely to be a bug, and very likely to be some sort of configuration issue on your system, some other program running in the background or a third party plugin causing a conflict, for example.

• 3. Re: Preflight panel not displaying / broken
              Doc Maik Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

The behavior you describe is not normal, and not reported by other users, making it highly unlikely to be a bug, and very likely to be some sort of configuration issue on your system, some other program running in the background or a third party plugin causing a conflict, for example.

All of a sudden I have this right now. Preflight and conditional text panels empty. Preferences already trashed - no change. Seems to me like a damaged source file.

While thinking about how to make both panels work as usual again, I wanted to repair the CS6 installation. Well, Adobe's installer does not offer a repair option...

Update: creating a new user on Windows made the panel appear normal again. So it seems the registration of Indesign's plugins is corrupt. Well, then let's reinstall it...