5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2013 8:27 AM by rlwegs

How to make swatches persistent from one document to the next?

rlwegs

I want to have a custom swatches in my  workspace each time I open a document. How can I make swatches persistent in InDesign?

• 1. Re: How to make swatches persistent from one document to the next?
          Michael Gianino Level 4

You can have swatches available in new documents if you make them part of your defaults by loading them while no document is open, but there is no way that I know of to open any existing document that doesn't have a particular swatch and have that particular swatch available without loading it yourself. Probably the quickest way to load them into existing documents would be to:

1. Make a frame
          2. Fill it with a swatch
          3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you have a frame for each swatch you want to transfer
          4. Grab all of the frames and drag them together into a library as one entry

When you open a file, drag the frames from the library to the doc and immediately delete them while they are still selected. All of the swatches will have been added to your swatches list, and it's a little quicker than going to the swatches fly-out, selecting Load Swatches and navigating to a file that has the swatches saved in it, but that's another way if you prefer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to make swatches persistent from one document to the next?
            Tom Usrey Level 3

Michael's advice is right on, but I'll share the way that I do it. For InDesign it seems there's almost always more than one way to do things.

I use a Snippet. I create the Swatches in an InDesign doc and apply them to Frames (as Michael does). As an additional step, I create the Layers that I like to use for work, applying the names and colors that I want. I make sure that each of the Layers has at least one of the Swatch-filled Frames on it (even if they're just duplicates). Select all the Frames and pull them onto the Desktop. Rename the Snippet so you can identify it.

Then when I receive a document from someone else, I can either drag the Snippet onto a document page or use Place. As soon as the loaded cursor appears over the document page, I can hit the Escape key (to cancel), but the Snippet still loads the Swatches and Layers without adding the filled Frames to your document. To get the Layers added, you do need to have Paste Remembers Layers active (in the Layers panel flyout).

• 3. Re: How to make swatches persistent from one document to the next?
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the swatches panel with the correct swatches in place

You can use the Sub Menu of the swatches panel (top right of panel)

Save Swatches

You can then load those swatches into InDesign using the sub menu and choose Load Swatches - navigate to the location you have saved and it will remember that choice when you go to load the swatches again.

• 4. Re: How to make swatches persistent from one document to the next?
                Tom Usrey Level 3

That's not only two ways to do it, but now three.

• 5. Re: How to make swatches persistent from one document to the next?
                  rlwegs Level 1

Thanks All! I'll try these methods. I appreciate your solutions!