4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 8:38 AM by ConduitMonitorFyas

Width animation in After Effects

ConduitMonitorFyas

I already revealed my logo with a mask. The mask is with a line.

So as the line (it's just a thin rectangle) goes to the right, it reveals the text.

Next I want the line to grow thicker into a box.

Except after I add the keyframe, I change the width of the line and the Rectangle goes all the way to the left off the screen. Or I try to change the width and it doesn't change it for that key frame but throught out the animation like with the mask.

I don't get how this works, How can I animate it so that it won't move so wildly? All I want is to animate the thin rectangle to grow wider to the right side. Help? Adobe after effects Creative Cloud I'm using.

• 1. Re: Width animation in After Effects
          wideEyedPupil Level 1

When you place a single keypoint and make an adjustment to say the stroke width it applies to the whole timeline until you enter a second keynote with a different value. But i might have misread your question.

You will need to set your anchor point to the left corner of the rectangle if you want to animate it to get wider without moving its position also to compensate for the change in width, although for a mask getting wider off-screen is not a problem. Post a link to your project if you can.

• 2. Re: Width animation in After Effects
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

How can I animate it so that it won't move so wildly?

Well, by using the right tools and methodology. It's as simple as that. You are too bound trying to do everything on a single layer with a single mask, which rarely ever works. Also masks have this odd thing with mask interpolation, which might well explain your difficulties. To reveal your layer, one would simply use a linear wipe or another layer as a matte, which by all means could be an animated shape layer. therein also lies the answer to yopur otehr problem: Simply animate the properties of a parametric shape layer rectangle. Much more controllable.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Width animation in After Effects
              ConduitMonitorFyas Level 1

How do I post a link to the project? How would I post my project?

also how do I set the anchor point to the rectangle?

• 4. Re: Width animation in After Effects
                ConduitMonitorFyas Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

How can I animate it so that it won't move so wildly?

Well, by using the right tools and methodology. It's as simple as that. You are too bound trying to do everything on a single layer with a single mask, which rarely ever works. Also masks have this odd thing with mask interpolation, which might well explain your difficulties. To reveal your layer, one would simply use a linear wipe or another layer as a matte, which by all means could be an animated shape layer. therein also lies the answer to yopur otehr problem: Simply animate the properties of a parametric shape layer rectangle. Much more controllable.

Mylenium

Well, yeah, that's the problem. I"m okay with the linear wipe mask revealing the text, I feel I've done that fine, it's just the animation of the rectangle now.