2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 4:46 AM by Steve Fairbairn

Units for type

Steve Fairbairn Level 5

I know you can set ruler units in inches, millimetres, points or whatever.

But is it possible to keep type measures in points while ruler measures are in, say, millimetres?

I ask this because I don’t know what those greyed out "points" boxes are for (to the right of Horizontal and Vertical) in Units and Increments prefs.

Clearly it would be more convenient if type were all in points instead of type size and leading in points and paragraph spacing in millimetres.

Picture 2.png

• 1. Re: Units for type
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

steve fairbairn wrote:

.. I don’t know what those greyed out "points" boxes are for (to the right of Horizontal and Vertical) in Units and Increments prefs.

Custom units:

"To change the measurement system used for rulers, dialog boxes, and panels, choose the desired system for Horizontal and Vertical, or choose Custom and type the number of points at which you want the ruler to display major tick marks."

Clearly it would be more convenient if type were all in points instead of type size and leading in points and paragraph spacing in millimetres.

"Type" is already specified in points.

You cannot globally change the measurement unit for type size and leading (at least not in CS4), but you can set your vertical units to points and see the paragraph spacing that way.

• 2. Re: Units for type
            Steve Fairbairn Level 5

O.k., thanks :-)

More used to working in Illie where the problem doesn’t arise.