1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 8:09 PM by gator soup

Tagged PS file into InDesign Mystery

GeofferyH Level 1

I have a file of a flower box with purple/blue/deep orange flowers and greenery whose profile is Adobe RGB. I convert to Japan Color Newspaper 2002 (remarkable and obvious appearance difference compared to the Adobe RGB version, more washed out and muted). Save As with the profile embedded.

Now I place the same two images with different embedded profiles — Adobe RGB and Japan Newspaper — into an InDesign Document. Indesign ignoring the profiles by default.

From InDesign I output to PDF with these conversion settings;

Color Conversion—Convert to Destination (Preserve Color Numbers)

Destination—U.S. Web Coated (SWOP)v2

Profile Inclusion Policy—Include Destination Profile.

When viewing the PDF both images look virtually identical. The Adobe RGB and the Japan Color Newspaper iterations look good, decent saturation similar color and tone, actually "better" than the Newspaper converted, washed out and muted image when viewed in Photoshop.

How is this so? That is, it's almost as if InDesign is seeing the Adobe RGB version within the Japan Color Newspaper profile and converting that to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP)v2 (from ID). In other words, if I open the file with the Japan Color Newspaper profile in Photoshop and convert to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP)v2 (or ProPhoto for that matter) the image doesn't change, it stays the same, doesn't get more vibrant or saturated.

So what is InDesign doing with the file? How is it "improving" it so it looks identical to the Adobe RGB file [after conversion to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP)v2 by InDesign]?

• 1. Re: Tagged PS file into InDesign Mystery
          gator soup Level 4

profile is Adobe RGB. I convert to Japan Color Newspaper 2002 (remarkable and obvious appearance difference compared to the Adobe RGB version, more washed out and muted)

read up on Photoshop out-of-gamut colors, gamut warning

I place the same two images with different embedded profiles — Adobe RGB and Japan Newspaper — into an InDesign Document. Indesign ignoring the profiles by default.

Photoshop is using the embedded ICC profiles, if you have InDesign (ID) set up to strip embedded profiles, i would expect to see a display difference in ID depending on your working spaces

i suggest you get ID color settings set up to Preserve Embedded profiles...

From InDesign I output to PDF with these conversion settings;

Color Conversion—Convert to Destination (Preserve Color Numbers)

Destination—U.S. Web Coated (SWOP)v2

Profile Inclusion Policy—Include Destination Profile.

When viewing the PDF both images look virtually identical. The Adobe RGB and the Japan Color Newspaper iterations look good, decent saturation similar color and tone, actually "better" than the Newspaper converted, washed out and muted image when viewed in Photoshop.

How is this so?

you need to wrap your brain around how Adobe apps use ICC profiles (so you can theorize what you are seeing and try other options/workflows that do what you want)...