13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 9:39 AM by GSBrennan

Text variable on master page not on document page.

GSBrennan

I have created a master page with a text variable that is the Chapter Title of the current chapter. Only the paragraph rule that is part of the style appears on the document pages. I scrapped the offending Template and recreated another from scratch adding in all the paragraph styles etc and creating the master pages required for the book. Even this new template won't add the text variable created on a master.

I'm running well behind deadline with this problem and would appreciate someone's help and advice.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally - I don't know what you have and haven't done - so I will start with what would seem obvious to me and see if it solves your issue.

Have you created a new master page? If you have then you would need to apply that to your current pages by dragging it from the Top section of pages of the Pages Panel onto a page in the Pages Panel in the bottom section.

Screenshots would be useful too.

• 2. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
            GSBrennan Level 1

Yes, Eugene I've done that, but still only the paragraph rule below the text which is a part of the style appears on the document pages.

Do you have anyother thoughts. I should add that I'm working in InDesign CS 5.5

• 3. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd really need to see screenshots - you can use the camera icon to post them if you have time.

Perhaps go to the master page and go to the Text Frame go to Object>Text Frame Options and turn on the "Ignore Text Wrap"?

• 4. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is the variable actually picking up the text it is supposed to? It's far from clear in your original post if the variable itself is working.

• 5. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                  Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Could you insert a different variable such as date to see if the variables are coming in at all. Then we can see what the problem with Chaper title is

• 6. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                    GSBrennan Level 1

Sandee, I change the text variable to something else as you suggested, and yes that works. i.e. that new variable shows up on the document pages.

• 7. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                      GSBrennan Level 1

Peter,

Only the paragraph rule which is part of  style of the text variable Chapter Title comes through on the document pages.

I've just tried a suggestion that Sandee made and that was to change the text variable from Chapter Title to something else. When I did so, that new choice did indeed show up on the document pages.

• 8. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.

Tell us more about the Chapter Title variable... How is it defined? Does it need to pick up text from the page? If so, is that text actually on the page?

Screen shots would REALLY make this easier....

• 9. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                          GSBrennan Level 1

The Chapter Title for the running head is defined by the paragraph style Header. The actual Chapter Title that appears at the beginning of the chapter is defined by the paragraph style: Chapter Title.Both the Header and Chapter Title paragraph styles are the same except the font size in the Header style is smaller to fit the running head. The Header also includes the paragraph rule.

Hope this is clearer. Also, here are the two screen shots: one of the Master Page and the other of the document page.

file://localhost/Users/patriciahansen/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-23%20at%2017.15.30.p ng

file://localhost/Users/patriciahansen/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-23%20at%2017.13.55.p ng
                          I haven't had the need to post screen shots before, so I hope these open up okay.
                          Thank you.

• 10. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                            Ellis home Level 4

Maybe there's not enough room for the chapter title and the paragraph rule to fit?

• 11. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                              GSBrennan Level 1

Peter — I should add that for the first four chapters that I laid out InDesign using the template worked. It was then that looking at the font size for the chapter title I wondered if a slightly smaller font size would look better. So I highlighted the chapter title and made a change in the bar (not to the paragraph style). I didn't like the change anybetter than what is already styled so I simply deleted the 'new document' and launched a new document template and continued to lay out the word document. It was then that I noticed that the complete running head had not shown up on the document pages -- just the paragraph rule.

I wonder if there is any significance here in what I had done. Not knowing how to correct things, I trashed the template I had been working with and created a new one with all the same criteria for paragraph styles and master pages — even so I'm still face with the same issue i.e. the chapter title not appearing on the document page after I place the word document into the InDesign document.

Patricia

• 12. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.

Your links don't work because they are tied to your computer and we can't connect to that. The easiest way to show a screen shot is to embed it in your post using the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

I'm still not really clear what's going on with the layout. That said, it sounds like you have  Running Header (Paragraph Style) variable in the header on your page, and you type the chapter name on the document page, which the variable is supposed to pick up. If I understand the post, the varaible is set to find a paragraph formatted with the style Chapter Title, but you've actually assigned the style Header to the text you entered. If that's true, then it explains why there is no text being picked up.

• 13. Re: Text variable on master page not on document page.
                                  GSBrennan Level 1

Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa.

So sorry to everyone for your help. I seem to have had my head in the cloud (sorry for the pun). The percieved problem was created because I had not yet actually "styled" the chapter title when I first placed the word document. As soon as I did that, then the chapter title for that exact chapter was on the page correctly.

How we give ourselves headaches.

Thank you all for your suggestions with the proviso that the next chapter I place works as it should -- if not, than the issue still remains.