31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 2:57 PM by Scott Worthington

OT: Cutting Back

Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is an open letter to my many friends here on the forum.

You're going to be seeing a bit less of me going forward. A lot of things have coalesced over the last month or two, not least of which was an offer to join the staff at PrintUI.com doing InDesign technical support, which I have accepted. Since they pay me, and Adobe does not, I think you'll all understand that my priority needs to be there, rather than here.

But that's not the only thing that is pulling me away from the forum. InDesign, and the publishing industry are both changing, and I still love the smell of ink and the sound of presses. I don't even own a dumb cell phone, let alone a smart one or a tablet device, and I just don't have the interest in epub and DPS to keep up with the new tools and methods. I feel like a larger and larger number of posts are about things I know nothing about, and that isn't going to change.

I've also seen the rise of a new crop of regulars who are doing a fantastic job of helping out. Thank you to all of you.

Participation here has been a very large part of my life over the last decade, and will continue to be important to me. I'm just going to be doing less of it, and I'm going to be more selective about the topics I respond to. I'm going to try not to feel guilty if I don't read every post or answer every question that requires a link to resetting prefs, how to track down corruption in a file or get ID to stop crashing, or even the ones that need to learn how to reinstall when it's already failed three times.

So don't hesitate to jump on those posts as they come in, guys (and gals). I'm not likely to be first on the scene very often anymore. Let's see some new names on that Top Participants list.

Cheers.

• 1. Re: OT: Cutting Back
          MW Design Level 4

I know that by nature, you do not need replies and kudos. But...

I have learned a lot from your past posts, much less contemporary ones. That isn't likely to change with your exciting new adventure. With the exception of frequency, of course. It is the history of previous posts that exemplify your involvement here.

Thank you for all you have you done for the advancement of knowledge, shared in a non-contentious manner.

Mike

• 2. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Thanks for your kind words, Mike. I've learned a thing or two from you, as well, and I'm counting on you to pick up some of the slack.

• 3. Re: OT: Cutting Back
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This place is like the Hotel California, you can check out but you can

never leave.

• 4. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                peter minneapolis Level 4

Hi, Peter S.

Sorry to hear this. I know so many folks like you who fail in achieving their goals because they just wimp out early. So, quitting at around 44K posts that answered innumerable calls for help and clarification and enlightenment, simply because you don't have that special inner voice, like Rocky, saying "fifty-thousand, fifty-thousand...etc.," must be a blow.

Seriously, thanks for all your work to make this forum THE BEST, and inspiring so many volunteers to do the same kind of returning stuff to the community.

Best,

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Hey, Bob. Thanks for the chuckle.

And I fear there may be quite a bit of truth to what you said.

• 6. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Now's your chance to pass me, Peter.

• 7. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

No worries, there will always be "too many" Peters ;-)

But seriously -- lately I have been jumping into discussions less as well, partly because of external reasons, and partly because not only ID's *users* are diverting from its intended usage (read: creating excellence through typography), but ID's *programmers* are as well. And it's not even as if that's bothering me (.. *very* much ..), but it's just not something I do, or aspire to.

Well, that, and Adobe's decision to ditch their own help and offload it to the unpaid volunteers in here.

• 8. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                        Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Peter

I am new to this forum but I love this forum because of your very helpfull answers, technical support and your patience to look after the problems until it solved.

Thanks for all your work to make this forum THE BEST, and you are still the reference of the this forum in spite your work at PrintUI.com.

• 9. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                          Ellis home Level 4

Peter, I thank you on behalf of the newcomers. I started with this adventure that is Indesign about a year ago with no background on press printing when by “accident” I had to assist a relative in putting together a book. You walked me through the hoops as a first time user and I felt inspired by you to try to give back the little knowledge I have gathered in this process. I wish you the very best in your new job and I’ll be eager to learn more from you and the other experts in this forum in the future.

• 10. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Theun,

I've noticed your absence, and often wished you would jump in and rescue me when I'm blundering my way through a GREP question. I understand your feelings all too well, though.

• 11. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                              Mary Posner Level 3

Just adding my thanks to you, Peter, for your many, many contributions over the years. Working in InDesign is a constant learning experience, and I'm very grateful for all I've learned from you and the many knowledgeable users here.

Break a leg at your new gig!

• 12. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Thanks to Salah and Ellis as well. Knowing that something I wrote actually helped someone is all the thanks I ever really wanted from being here.

I'll admit that my opinion is highly biased, but I also think this is the best forum around, and it got that way by the kind help of everyone, not just me. Keep up the good work.

• 13. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter, if anyone has earned some slack, you have. You've sustained an above-and-beyond posture in this forum for so long, that pulling your participation back to normal levels will certainly feel like a loss to the community for some time. I'd like to personally thank you for all I've learned and witnessed just by way of lurking here. I'd say you have the patience of a saint, but it might be the other way around!

• 14. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                    Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Golly. Just as I have time to hang out here you're cutting back.

Was it something I said. <grin>

I'm sorry to read this. Your knowledge is superb.

• 15. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                      Pickory Level 3

Peter, thank you for all the help you have given.

Screen shot 2013-08-23 at 18.48.07.png

Nearly 44K posts! Thank you.

• 16. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                        Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'll admit that my opinion is highly biased, but I also think this is the best forum around, and it got that way by the kind help of everyone, not just me. Keep up the good work.

It's hard for me to understand why this forum has held this status for so long (come on, it's still like the late 90s around here - all of these top-notch professionals offering to help strangers for free?!?!), but I know that a big part of the reason why this place is so great is because of your efforts. You haven't only helped us by showing us how to work with InDesign, Peter. You've shown us how to help others - leading by example, of course, and your efforts here have set the standard for helping-strangers-on-the-Internet at a very high level. For this, you deserve more than thanks.

So I'm thrilled that someone is going to be giving you some green-ink-printed thanks.

Best of luck with your new gig!

• 17. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter, I agree a lot with what Joel has to say about how you've set a high standard for the quality of your answers, and your attention to detail. I know no one who is so patient in handling every beginner's first InDesign crash, and how to try to solve it.

Your spending less time here will force the rest of us to help pick up the slack. But, as Bob pointed out, you can't really leave this place. ;-)

• 18. Re: OT: Cutting Back

I'm glad you folks noticed that I've tried to be friendly and thorough. I've never believed half an answer is better than none, or that being rude made you more credible. Of course I tend to get a little long-winded and tangential sometimes, but I hope it makes people think beyond the original question and maybe discover something completely new.

And Sandee, how's a nobody like me supposed to compete with a celeb like you?

I'm still wondering, though, if the post counts are accurate. It akes me at least five times as long to answer a post as it takes Bob, he's been here even longer than me, and his count is only a little more than half of mine.

Actually I wish there was no counter, or points. It distracts from the mission.

• 19. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Nothing before August 11, 2002 exists anymore.

I've been hanging around these parts since some time in 1994. Of course back then I was asking more questions than answering them. Now, about that gold watch...

• 20. Re: OT: Cutting Back

I remember 1994. I had my first computer, a blazing fast 486 with 4mb of RAM, and I was taking my first DTP class -- Pagemaker.

I don't miss those days at all.

Could somebody please go down the street and find that guy selling Rolex knockoffs. Get Bob a yellow one.

Sandee, I just re-read your post about my "superb" knowledge. I believe you may remember showing the world how little I know and publicly humiliating me in font of a hundred people at the Boston ID user group meeting a couple of years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed our encounter.

• 21. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                                  Tom Usrey Level 3

Peter, I remember when Adobe combined the Mac and PC InDesign forums, and I remember first seeing your posts and thinking "Who is this Peter Spier guy who knows everything?"

I want to add my thanks for your unselfish contributions to this forum.

• 22. Re: OT: Cutting Back

I remember having quite a time earning the respect of Mac users when the forums combined, and having to be pretty firm that most questions were platform agnostic and Windows users should be as welcome as anyone. Times have really changed, and for the better. And thanks for sticking with us over the years, too, when a lot of your colleagus from the old Mac forum jumped ship.

• 23. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                                      Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter,

You've done a wonderful job making this forum a welcoming place, and convincing unselfconcious upstarts that there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers (I know!). It's good to hear that we'll see you around here from time to time anyway. Good luck with your new endeavours.

Warmest best wishes,

Peter

• 24. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                                        Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Peter,

When it comes to activity here you are a rock star.

• 25. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                                          Bo LeBeau Level 4

Peter,

I've been in these forums, in one way or another, for many years,

I've seen so many people come and go, and I must say that you have been the most even-tempered, level-heading person l've ever seen in any of these forums.

You have the patience of a saint, I just don't how you do it.

More than just a rock star, you are an oracle.

Thank you!

• 26. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                                            Harbs. Level 6

If I know Peter, his "cutting back" will still be more activity than all the rest of us! I know, I've been way too quiet lately.

Either way, I'm thrilled to pieces having him on-board at PrintUI:

https://printui.com/blog/2013/08/welcome-peter-spier/

• 27. Re: OT: Cutting Back

I love that hat, Peter!

• 28. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Thanks.

Didn't I wear it last time we did lunch?

• 29. Re: OT: Cutting Back

Maybe, but still...great hat!

• 30. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                                                    Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

SHOCKED !!!

I think Peter has set an example again that at the age of 90's people can still get a job , so I am happy.

I have learned a lot from all the people here and I can surely say this is not only a loss to Adobe but a loss for me indiviually.

Peter has taught me a lot and his stubbornness for resolving the issue has always been motivational.

I can surely say Adobe's work has hell lot of increased.

• 31. Re: OT: Cutting Back
                                                                      Scott Worthington Adobe Employee

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Thank you so much for all the help you have given to everyone on these forums! Even with your time diminished your efforts have made an enormous difference and helped many.