15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2013 6:51 AM by A.T. Romano

Capture of avchd video

stephen_george

Camera Panasonic HC-V500 recording to SD memory card. Which setting for capture to computer do I use? The setting on the camera is 1080/50p. So far previewing imported movies seems jerky and editing clips very hit-and-miss.

• 1. Re: Capture of avchd video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You haven't said which version of the program you're using. But, if you're using version 11, you should use Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from the camcorder over a USB connection. This will also set up the project automatically for Full AVCHD 1920x1080p.

If you are using a different version of the program or you've used another method to copy the video from your camcorder to your computer, this auto-setup may not work and you'll need to set the project up manually.

• 2. Re: Capture of avchd video
            A.T. Romano Level 7

stephen_george

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system.

For now, I will assume Premiere Elements 11 Windows, using your 1080p50 footage.

If you are transferring the AVCHD 1080p50 from "camera with memory card inserted" to computer and saving it to computer hard drive..then for Premiere Elements 11:

Add Media/Files and Folders/and into Project Assets from where you drag the 1080p50 to the Expert workspace Timeline.

At that point, the project is supposed to set automatically the right project preset based on this first drag video to the Timeline. In this case it should be setting

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

Check it out via, Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

If the project has not done it correctly, then you set the project preset manually to the setting that I cited. To do that

File Menu/New/Project

Make sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project.

Then import your 1080p50 via Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and then to the Timeline.

If you are transferring the AVCHD 1080p50 from "camera with memory card inserted" to Premiere Elements...then

open Premiere Elements 11

set the project preset manually as described above

then, with your camera connected to the computer via USB,

Add Media/Video from Flip or Camera/Video Importer and its "Get Media" button to put the 1080p in Project Assets and

on the Expert workspace Timeline.

There should be no orange line over the Timeline content in either case when the video first arrives on the Timeline. After you edit, yes, but

then you Render the Timeline to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing on the Edit Mode Monitor screen.

Please review and then we can plan any troubleshooting strategy accordingly.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I did not see SG's post until after I have posted mine.

• 3. Re: Capture of avchd video
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>previewing imported movies seems jerky and editing clips very hit-and-miss

As well as the other 2 questions, please give hardware details... editing AVCHD requires a "strong" computer with at least 2 7200rpm hard drives... one for Windows and all software and the 2nd hard drive for video and project files

A couple past discussions that may help

Elements and AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947846

Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

Also, the Help-and-Tutorials page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

• 4. Re: Capture of avchd video

Thanks for the added details, ATR.

Although I do want to note that Premiere Elements often has trouble with automatic project setup when MOVs are used as the source files. So your suggestion to manually set up the project and force the settings is an excellent one!

• 5. Re: Capture of avchd video
                  stephen_george Level 1

Thanks for all your efforts. In fact I'm using Premiere Elements 10. I have been removing the SD card from the camera and inserting it into the card reader built into the computer and then going through the get media command etc. However, there isn't a choice for 1080/p50 as such in the list of settings, but rather :

Full HD 1080i 25

Full HD 1080i 25 5.1 channel

HD 1080i

HD1080i 25 5.1 Channel

I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit Samsung laptop with 1Tb of memory.

• 6. Re: Capture of avchd video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks.

For me, the automatic project setup cannot be counted on for a variety of formats, not just the QuickTime .mov.

The situation is not helped when no message is given to the user when the program defaults to its default (1080i) when it cannot establish the project preset based on its criteria and the properties first drag to the Timeline.

Looking forward to Stephen_George's results from what we all have offered.

As always thanks,

ATR

• 7. Re: Capture of avchd video

>Windows 7 64-bit Samsung laptop with 1Tb of memory

That would be 1T of hard drive, not memory... how much Ram memory do you have?

Being a laptop, is that a 5400rpm hard drive, or 7200rpm?

Does that laptop have an i3 or i5 or i7 CPU?

• 8. Re: Capture of avchd video

That is correct. Support 1920x1080p was not added until version 11.

For best performance, I'd recommend you either set your camcorder to shoot in 1080i or you update to version 11. Otherwise, version 10 is going to step-down your video to 1080i anyway and you'll need to render often as you work (whenever red lines appear above the clips on your timeline).

• 9. Re: Capture of avchd video
                          stephen_george Level 1

The RAM is 8GB

The processor is i5

I'm afraid I don't know the speed.

• 10. Re: Capture of avchd video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

stepen_george

Here is what I would like you to consider for your Premiere Elements 10 Windows 1080p50 project.

Open Premiere Elements 10 and set the project preset to:

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

Then in the opened project, and, if you have your camera connected to the computer via USB,

Get Media

Flip, AVCHD, Cameras, Phones or Removal Drive

Video Importer with its final Get Media command

If you want to export this 1080p50 as 1080p50, then

Computer

AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H264 1920 x 1080p25

and under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, make sure the settings are as follows:

saturday.JPG

Later you could experiment with VBR, 2 Pass and other Bitrate Settings if necessary.

Please check it out and see if any of the above works for you. Remember, be looking at the Rendered Timeline before any judgments of monitor playback quality.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Capture of avchd video
                              stephen_george Level 1

Many thanks for your help.

Will do as you suggest.

Stephen George

• 12. Re: Capture of avchd video
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

stephen_george

Looking forward to your results.

I had forgotten to ask about the audio on your 1080p50. But from what I have read, your audio is AAC 2 channel. So, that does not force us to bring in any 5.1 channel aspects to import or export.

ATR

• 13. Re: Capture of avchd video

>The RAM is 8GB...The processor is i5...I'm afraid I don't know the speed

A single hard drive, even if it is 7200rpm and not the "usual" laptop speed of 5400rpm, is less than optimal for video editing

If you find that your video editing is still "jerky" you might want to consider an external hard drive, but only IF you have a USB3 or eSata port

External eSata or USB3 are both fast enough for video editing... eSata may be better - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117813

ONE possibility is this $47 USB3 dock with fan http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI

• 14. Re: Capture of avchd video
                                    stephen_george Level 1

I can't thank you enough for your advice, help and interest.

Stephen George

• 15. Re: Capture of avchd video
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stephen_george

Thanks for the opportunity to try to help.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

ATR