2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2013 1:56 AM by vivavivalunaluna

Healing Brush = Clone Stamp when used on separate layer?

vivavivalunaluna

I can't find corroboration on the web so I want to konw if anyone here has seen this - when using the Healing Brush tool in Normal mode, the opacity of the cloned pixels when painted onto the same layer as the source pixels will usually be decreased to blend better, BUT if the cloned pixels are painted onto a separate layer (to work non-destructively) the tool will NOT decrease opacity and the Healing Brush will work more like (if not exactly like) the Clone Stamp - true??

• 1. Re: Healing Brush = Clone Stamp when used on separate layer?
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

The Healing Brush Tool should work about the same in both scenarios.

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Could you post a screenshot of the difference you see?

• 2. Re: Healing Brush = Clone Stamp when used on separate layer?
            vivavivalunaluna Level 1

Hmm, It seems to be working differently for me now. Probably me being tired . I guess I'm just learning how it works. Here are some tests I just did. The top left is a cloned section using the Healing Brush with the "Current Layer" setting - looks identical to the original (even when not sitting on top of the original bg layer), and also looks just like the Clone Stamp (using either setting). The  bottom left is a cloned section using the Healing Brush with the "All Layers" setting – NOTICE THE BLENDED OPACITY (as one would expect it to work).

I guess this is the normal difference of the two different Healing Brush settings...?

I'm working in both CS5.1 and  CC (trial version). Thanks.

photoshop-healing_cloning.png