6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 11:52 PM by neil wilkes RSS

Creating a DVD Menu with Multiple Options

tapiot Community Member

I am creating a slide show. Due to the sheer number of images, we would like to have the user select a category to watch, or multiple, or one selection that selects all categories. Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Creating a DVD Menu with Multiple Options
          Stan Jones MVP

This might be moved to the Encore forum,

Whether the slideshows are created in Encore, or you make "slideshows" (as a video) in Premiere, you can make "playlists" in Encore that use one or multiple slideshows that the user can select.

• 2. Re: Creating a DVD Menu with Multiple Options
            John T Smith MVP

As Stan says, a question for http://forums.adobe.com/community/encore

The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 has a link to download the PDF user guide, for easy searching

• 3. Re: Creating a DVD Menu with Multiple Options
              neil wilkes MVP

tapiot wrote:

I am creating a slide show. Due to the sheer number of images, we would like to have the user select a category to watch, or multiple, or one selection that selects all categories. Is this possible?

Hiya Tapiot.

Can you please give a better description of what you are trying to accomplish - I am not too sure from the original question exactly what it is you are wanting to do.

A DVD slideshow is exactly that - a sequence of stills set to an audio track (if wanted) and there are no interactive options I can think of.

• 4. Re: Creating a DVD Menu with Multiple Options
                tapiot Community Member

What I am doing is a slide presentation for a museum. Right now I have about 1500 images. At 5 seconds each, nobody will sit through the whole thing (and due to content, 5 seconds is really too fast).

So we decided to break it into chapters, each one being a single room of the museum. What it boils down to is whether in the menu, I can have one setting that would contain ALL the chapters. That is about the simplest I can make it. Also, this museum has been the curator's life, she may want a slower version so if she was showing it to someone, she would be able to talk about each item. Perhaps PowerPoint would actually be a better option and letting viewers select whether they want to let it run automatically or manual advance.

Nothing is cast in stone at this time.

Tim Tapio

Tapio Productions, LLC

Custom Photo and Video Solutions

A Service Connected Disabled Veteran Owned Business

910-429-4620

Seize the Day!

• 5. Re: Creating a DVD Menu with Multiple Options
                  Stan Jones MVP

Perhaps PowerPoint would actually be a better option and letting viewers select whether they want to let it run automatically or manual advance.

I think it is, especially for the curator-lead version.

• 6. Re: Creating a DVD Menu with Multiple Options
                    neil wilkes MVP

Hiya Tapiot.

The problem with using a powerpoint is that it must be played on a computer based setup as PPT will simply not run on a DVD player at all, of course.

You can work around this by adding those presentations into ROM content (which would work well) and a simple screen telling the user to load into a ROM drive to access this would sort that out.

I suspect you are actually trying to find a way of doing this in the DVD-V section though, but off the top of my head I cannot think of a way to do this elegantly in Encore.

The only way it would work is to create each chapter as a slideshow and trigger these from menus - but Encore has very, very little in the way of helpful functionality here - scripting would help you no end. I have to end up by saying I think there is no good way to do this using Encore.

Sorry.