8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2013 4:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files

emckenny

I am running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8. When I attempt to use "Add Media" to import a 1 hour and 15 minute .wmv from my harddrive, Premiere freezes up and is forced to quit. There is no error message or anything, it simply locks up and becomes unresponsive until I force quit it. I have tested other .wmv files made by the same software (a game recording program) which are much shorter and they have imported without any trouble. My assumption is that the issue has to do with the length of the file, then. Any ideas?

My computer:

64-bit Microsoft Windows 8 Pro
      ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM)16.0 GB
      Video CardAMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
        • 1. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

emckenny

Let us start with the usual drill so that we do not take anything for granted.

Could you post a MediaInfo (tree view) video and audio properties readout for this .wmv file?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Does freeze occur with any other format of video or just this one particular .wmv type from thie "game recording program"? What is the game recording program that is generating this .wmv file. Do you have an option to generate an alternative format from this program?

Have you assured that your video card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card? In spite of your impressive computer resources, can we assumed that your computer is optimized, defragmented, and not over run by pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, or conformed video files?

Let us start here. I will follow up on this in the morning and will be watching for further details from you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
            emckenny Level 1

Thanks for your response. The file was created with a program called D3DGear. It is capable of recording in other video formats, but I haven't attempted to use any of them yet. This and another .wmv from the same program both fail to import into Premiere Elements 11, both over an hour in length. Other, shorter .wmv files created by the program work fine.

The computer is only a couple of months old, so everything is up-to-date and should be pretty optimized.

Below is what I got out of the MediaInfo program. I've never used it before so hopefully this is what you need.

General

Complete name :          C:\Users\Erik\Videos\games\SaintsRowTheThird_DX11_2013_06_19_224009_0.wmv

Format :          Windows Media

File size :          16.9 GiB

Duration :          1h 15mn

Overall bit rate mode :          Variable

Overall bit rate :          32.0 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate :          32.3 Mbps

Encoded date :          UTC 2013-06-20 03:40:09.830

Video

ID :          1

Format :          FVFW

Codec ID :          FVFW

Description of the codec :          D3DGear Hight Performance Encoder

Bit rate mode :          Variable

Bit rate :          31.7 Mbps

Width :          1 280 pixels

Height :          800 pixels

Display aspect ratio :          16:10

Frame rate :          30.000 fps

Bit depth :          8 bits

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :          1.031

Stream size :          16.7 GiB (99%)

Language :          English (US)

Audio

ID :          2

Format :          WMA

Format version :          Version 2

Codec ID :          161

Codec ID/Info :          Windows Media Audio

Description of the codec :          Windows Media Audio 9.2 - 320 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo 1-pass CBR

Bit rate mode :          Constant

Bit rate :          320 Kbps

Channel(s) :          2 channels

Sampling rate :          44.1 KHz

Bit depth :          16 bits

Stream size :          173 MiB (1%)

Language :          English (US)

• 3. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

emckenny

What are you or the program setting as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset? Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size? Probably NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD-LITE 720p30 would be the closest match. You may have to set the project preset yourself if the program sets it to its default 1080i30 if it cannot recognize the properties of that video when first dragged to the Expert workspace Timeline.

At this point, a combo of factors are probably causing system stress which gets magnified by the file size of 16.9 GB.

a. Video Codec = "FVFW" 

and

b. Atypical frame size 1280 x 800 (16:10) instead of 1280 x 720 (16:9)

and

c. Maybe a mismatched project setup.

Let me back up on this a little. According to the MediaInfo readout, a D3D Gear High Performance Encoder is involved. Is the following what you are using to record your video?

http://www.d3dgear.com/faqs.htm

If so, what are you setting now and what are your alternative settings in the D3D Gear Properties dialog/Movie Tab for:

Movie Resolution

Frame Rate

Format

Video Codec

You say that you can import smaller file sizes of the format that you are currently using. Just what exactly is the smaller file size that you say imports OK? So, if possible, can you import the first half and second half of your 16.9 GB and get that to the Timeline OK in that two, rather than one, process?

Please review and see if any of the above helps. Then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
                emckenny Level 1

To back up a little, I'm making a video which is a combination of 1080i AVCHD video from a camcorder and video recorded by D3DGear from a game running on my computer. So the project settings are 1080i, but this is the setting I want based on the dimensions of the camcorder-recorded video that makes up most up the project.

My D3DGear settings are:

Resolution: 1280x720

Frame rate: 30

Format: WMV

Video Codec: Fast MPEG-4 Version 2 Codec

As far as I can tell tell there is no option to automatically split recordings.

I'm willing to give up on this specific recorded video, but if you could help me figure out alternate settings that would allow me to get 1+ hour videos recorded with D3DGear into Premiere in the future, I'd appreciate it.

• 5. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

emckenny

Thanks for the additional information.

Question for clarification...in your video properties readout, it show frame size 1200 x 800 (16:10).

But in your D3DGear settings, you show 1280 x 720 (16:9).

How did that happen?

But fundamental questions are:

a. Can you export a 1080i project successfully with the .wmv completely out of the equation?

b. Can you export a 1080i project successfully with just short segments of the .wmv?

c. If b is possible, what is the maximum total duration of .wmv that the project will tolerate to go to a successful export completion?

Thanks.

ATR

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
                    emckenny Level 1

My only guess as to the frame size disparity is that the settings might have been different when the recording was made. It's not a recent recording.

The only way to test different sizes of the .wmv would be to cut it up, which I'd need to be able to import it into Premiere to do. I'll try recording new videos of various lengths/file types so I can test them, but that will take a little while as a 30 minute video will take 30 minutes, a 45 minute video will take 45 minutes, etc. I'll get back to you once I've tried a few different sizes.

• 7. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
                      emckenny Level 1

I think I may have resolved the issue. By changing the settings in D3DGear to export videos as .avi files, the program both produces much smaller files while automatically splitting them. The result is that an hour of video is now two video files of around 2GB each, which I was able to easily add to a Premiere project.

Thanks so much for your help in figuring out the issue.

• 8. Re: Premiere 11 crashes when importing large video files
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

emckenny

Bravo. Great job.

Very impressive troubleshooting there.

Thanks for the follow up which is helpful to all.

Continued success.

ATR