7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 5:46 PM by xcvenoruafgheqawfcv

Error compiling movie. Unknown error.

xcvenoruafgheqawfcv

Argh! Going really crazy here, I am really hoping someone nice out there can help!

We have a new camera, its a Canon XF100 and I keep getting the above error message.

So the footage looks fine in the timeline... everything is working as it should.... right up until I try to export it.

Then whammo, get the error message.

Please, please can someone give me advice?

Thanks, Cat

PS. I'm using Premiere as part of CS6 on a 2012 iMac. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Error compiling movie. Unknown error.
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I had the same thing yesterday, spent about 5 hours figuring out what was wrong. btw same great camera (must be coincidence )

Turned out something was for some unkown reason not correct on the timeline, removed it and voila.

I went through the whole ball of wax.

Opening in new project,

copy/paste new sequence,

same name,

different name,

deleting media cash,

firing up with shift + alt,

narrowing down the export in and out point,

and god knows what.

Here some probable solutions:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/906/cpsid_90670.html

Good luck, you need it.

• 2. Re: Error compiling movie. Unknown error.
            xcvenoruafgheqawfcv Level 1

Oh thanks so much. I'll give it a try. It's driving me crazy!

• 3. Re: Error compiling movie. Unknown error.

Hi Ann

I think I've fixed it.

Not sure if you're on a Mac, but I am, I've bought and installed Quicktime Pro, and its working.

Regards Cat

• 4. Re: Error compiling movie. Unknown error.

Thank for reporting back.

I am actually on a PC.

• 5. Re: Error compiling movie. Unknown error.
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

btw same great camera (must be coincidence )

I just used that model over the weekend.  I hate, hate, HATE that damn thing.  I never understood all the fuss about red peaking until I used that camera.  Both the EVF and LCD are fully useless for pulling focus.  And the autofocus, when it actually does work, is so slow that I missed several shots, forcing me to ultimately switch to manual focus for the rest of the evening, which is near impossible to do because of the terribly low resolution of those viewfinders.  My standard def DVX100 had a sharper viewfinder.

And who the hell designs a camera with one ring for focus, zoom and iris?!  It seriously never occurred to Canon that we need full, instantaneous access to all those lens functions at the same time?  WTF?!  And those fly-by-wire lens connections are so slow and 'unresponsive' that I kept overshooting.  I finally understand why so many shooters want manual lenses with mechanical rings.

The XF100 may work fine in a production situation, but it's a God-awful event camera.

OK, rant over.  I just had to vent.

• 6. Re: Error compiling movie. Unknown error.

I would have bought a XF300 but its too heavy for me and out of my budget.

I cannot do without red peaking.

Most of the time in manual focus I use the push auto function. I find the focus quite snappy even in auto.

It has three different speeds you can set in the menu.

It does gets some getting use to 1 ring (my former camera had 3)

I  have my iris set to the custom wheel.

Leaves the zoom to the ring.

The only thing I do not like about the camera is the bouquet.

• 7. Re: Error compiling movie. Unknown error.

Hi Ann

Okay, so my problem came back and after a couple of attempts, I've got some help from Adobe. This is what they said to me:

1. It turns out I was importing incorrectly. You plug your CF card into the computer, open PP, use media browser to import from the card. The media browser should automatically change the settings to "Canon XF" and so PP knows what raw footage it is dealing with. If you want to copy the footage to a drive (which I always do), copy the "contents" folder. (I was copying the "clips001" folder.) The error message may also be due to me using an external USB drive. Adobe suggest loading footage onto either the hard drive or use a thunderbolt as your external drive.

2. The QT export settings that seem to work for me (we shoot in PAL) are:

QT/1080P/h.264 (and) QT/Custom/Uncompressed 8 bit/Progressive

So hopefully that will help you too.

Regards Cat