3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2013 12:12 PM by Ann Bens

Subtitling

Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I need to burn in subtitles to a documentary I am making for the big screen.

But I am a little stuck on the font and size.

What is the most common one used and at what size?

Project is in HD 1920x1080.

I am fiddling around with,

Myriad Pro 56,

Aspect 110,

Leading 12,

Stroke 40.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Subtitling
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

That is a very controversial question in some people's opinion from what I can tell.

There is a book on the subject but it does not appear to have an e-book available. I saw it in a library recently. I only noticed it because I saw a subtitled film when I was 19 years old that has always been one of my favorite films.

Subtitles: On the Foreignness of Film

Another one that does have an e-book is:

The Elements of Subtitles: A Practical Guide to the Art of Dialogue, Character, Context, Tone and Style in Subtitling

The basics say not to take up more than 80% of the screen width, use a non-serif font - Helvetica being the standard with Arial being a rip-off of Helvetica and just as popular. I like Myriad Pro for a non-serif.

I just tested out your parameters and they look pretty good to me, but keep in mind that you can generally get away with smaller subtitles on the big screen than you can on a television. Yours look appropriate for a theatrical release.

Personally I would reduce the stroke to 20 or so, but that could depend entirely on the content of the film.

Just curious, doesn't the production company that would distribute your documentary have a set of standards you must adhere to?

• 2. Re: Subtitling
            pplabrisher Level 1

I often use Myriad Pro myself, and have used Comic Sans MS  and the every handy Arial, all at the regular option. I'd be inclined to reduce font size to 40 and drop leading to zero in case you have more than one line of text; your other settings look good.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Subtitling
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Steve: this docu does not have a prod. comp. just me.

Its for a film festival.

With all due respect I do not want to read a book about subtitling.

Just want to subtitle some Spanish to Dutch and be readable.

pplabrisher: I will give your settings a try. Thanks.