jimad3

I go to:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

I click on:

Get the latest version

Download the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player

It DOES NOT give me an option to deselect McAfee

This give me:

Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.94 (16.9 MB)

Your system: Windows 64-bit , English, Firefox

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

which downloads and installs McAfee without anywhere giving me the option to deselect McAfee.

I do not expect, and I do not want, Adobe to install a competitor's product to the security software vendor that *I* chose to put on my computer.

It is not reasonable on the part of Adobe to force my selection, against my will, of a competitor's security software.  Such duplicate installation often causes security problems!

• 1. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
          Mike M Level 6

Download the Adobe Flash Player installer directly by clicking one of the following links.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Nothing bundled in those. BOOKMARK them for future reference and don't use the updater.

• 2. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
            pwillener Level 8

jimad3 wrote:

Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.94 (16.9 MB)

Your system: Windows 64-bit , English, Firefox

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Strange; when I go there I see

Untitled.png

Anyway, if you use the offline installers from the links in the previous post, you will never have to worry again.

• 3. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
              jimad3 Level 1

The setup you are quoting is 32-bit.  The setup I am quoting is 64-bit.  The user should not have to implement workarounds to escape unreasonable corporate behavior by Adobe.

• 4. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
                pwillener Level 8

Because I took yesterday's screenshot on a 32-bit system.  This is how it looks on a 64-bit system

getfp1.PNG

The only thing the users have to do is to uncheck that little checkbox.

• 5. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
                  jimad3 Level 1

When I rerun the install today from Adobe’s website using the default, I get an alternative display which offers, but does not force a “Free Trial of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom”, and then the install proceeds without apparently forcing the install of McAfee.  And then when I go back and do it again, it displays the McAfee display, with the checkbox, which now appears to function correctly, install McAfee, or not, depending on the checkbox.  So I would guess this was a programming glitch on Adobe website, which now appears to be fixed.

• 6. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
                    Mike M Level 6

jimad3 wrote:

When I rerun the install today from Adobe’s website using the default, I get an alternative display which offers, but does not force a “Free Trial of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom”, and then the install proceeds without apparently forcing the install of McAfee.  And then when I go back and do it again, it displays the McAfee display, with the checkbox, which now appears to function correctly, install McAfee, or not, depending on the checkbox.  So I would guess this was a programming glitch on Adobe website, which now appears to be fixed.

The Lightroom trial is for Mac users only AFAIK, so I don't understand HOW you could have seen it on a Windows system. Adobe uses browser and OS detection javascripts to determine WHICH page a visitor is directed to. If you're seeing a McAfee download, it's detected that you're using Windows and it WON'T show you a "Mac only" download option (Lightroom).

• 7. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
                      jimad3 Level 1

Sounds to me like the Adobe website is major screwed up.

• 8. Re: Flash forces install of McAfee
                        manuel_321 Level 1

As if it were not enough to receive constant flash player updates anouncements, the last one came with a surprise. This time Adobe didn't allow me to choose whether to install mcafee or not (btw shame on you Adobe for making me to have to uncheck that box every time). A pop up window shown up with the download status of both Flash player update and mcafee, and installed it without asking. Why should I have to loose my time having to uninstall mcafee? Why should I have to loose my time having to uncheck that box every other time? How do I know Mcafee has not left anything in my computer after uninstall? I have my own antivirus, so please, just stop annoying your users with that kind of annoying behaviour.

PS: I don't install anything automatically before checking how it was for other users, so save your advices on enable updates automatically.

SHAME ON YOU!

Manuel