4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2013 2:17 PM by John T Smith

AVCHD to NTSC Forced Cropping

Chris11589

Hey guys,

I'm somewhat new to editing and camcorders and I'm figuring it out as I go. I have an Canon XA10 camcorder that my work is using now, and the process seems to have been like this: We record in the AVCHD format, and then when we want to edit it we have to convert or look at it in NTSC format, so I think there is a conversion process since when I go to edit the footage, the footage is now cropped and different than the raw footage. Is there a way to record in the XA10 that would let my raw footage match the footage I edit? I won't be able to look at the camera till tomorrow, but it'd be great if I can come in with ideas.

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: AVCHD to NTSC Forced Cropping
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Edit "native" and export as needed... what is your final output going to be... BluRay or DVD or ???

The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help, with more help in message #5

I edit AVCHD with final output on DVD... I'm in the US, so NTSC DVD... but I always edit native AVCHD

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AVCHD to NTSC Forced Cropping
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are new to Premiere have a look at this:

file

Get Started with Premiere Pro

New to Premiere Pro? Get started with your first project

The XA10 records in AVCHD.

If you have choosen you camera settings wise it will be in full HD.

Set up an avchd sequence setting that matches the footage.

When finished editing export to mpeg2-dvd in ntsc for dvd. (I assume its going to end up on dvd)

Getting it on dvd is another matter.

That is for next time'.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AVCHD to NTSC Forced Cropping
              Chris11589 Level 1

It will go onto public access television, and before that its also uploaded to a cloud server (i think) until reviewed and finally put up. Thanks for the list of forums, I will go through them and continue to troubleshoot my own issues, as well as save these forums from clutter. The information seems invaluable on them, especially for someone of my experience.

So i guess what i hear from you is that it should be edited naturally ("native") and then I should have it exported as such into whichever format may be needed. I'm in the US as well fyi.

I should also add that it seems to crop the sides of the image off (not the top), making it more like a square than a rectangle, this might give a better idea of what is happening.

I will definitely try it out and maybe update this forum tomorrow with the exact process that my department uses to find where the problem lies (sorry for the premature questioning, wish I had more info to offer today)

• 4. Re: AVCHD to NTSC Forced Cropping
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I edit AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 I export to Widescreen (NOT standard) DV AVI for Encore authoring to DVD

It **sounds** like whatever you are doing, you are exporting/converting your widescreen AVCHD to standard... which would be a 16:9 aspect ratio to 4:3

Again... edit your AVCHD as it comes from the camera, and only export to "whatever" you need at the end of editing

Be sure your sequence matches your video by doing the below...

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/message/3776153

-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341