19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 7:01 AM by A.T. Romano

burning to a blu ray disk

65 Lenny 888 Level 1

I have some 1280 X 720p wmv files and mp4 videos.  These look fine in the preview window in PRE 10 but when I burn them to a blu ray disk, one inch or so around the border is cropped off.  PRE 10 only gives me a choice of 1440 x 1080 or 1920 X 1080 when burning to a blu ray disk.  I don’t see an output resolution (1280 x 720) that would match my video.  I had a wmv video of a golf lesson on a flash drive and when I burned it to a blu ray disk, the golf  ball at the bottom of the screen was almost completely cut off.  How do I burn 1280 x 720p to a blu ray disk and make it fit properly?  

• 1. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, first know that, if you do show your 1280x720 video at full screen, it's going to look a little fuzzy because you're increasing its resolution by about 250%. (More so if it's a highly compressed WMV.)

In version 10, right-click on the clip on your timeline and select Show Properties to open the Properties panel. Option Motion properties and set Scale to about 230-240%. The video should now fill the screen in your 1920x1080 project.

• 2. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
            A.T. Romano Level 7

65 Lenny 888

Please let us know the following so that we might make suggestions to address the issues that you described for your Premiere Elements 10 Windows project...

a. Given you have 1280 x 720 @ presumed 30 frames per second (.wmv files)....What is that information for the .mp4 videos also going into this project?

And what are you setting as the project preset for this project?

b. When you open Premiere Elements 10, are you making any changes in the preferences before you import your videos into the project's media? Please take a look at Edit Menu/Preferences/General. Does the option "Default Scale to frame size" have a check mark next to it? If so, then I would ask SG to modify his scaling recommendations to you. I see his recommendation to be consistent with the "Default Scale to frame size" option being turned off. With it on, all you will be doing is zooming in on the image and overshooting the space in the monitor, not the intended "just filling the monitor space for the project settings.

I am suspecting that will more appropriate project settings, things will be fall into place. But more details are needed as indicated above.

When you get to burn to Blu-ray, please use the 1920 x 1080 setting since then your player will not have to deal with recognizing the 16:9 flag of the 1440 x 1080.

Please note, that with burn to Blu-ray, whatever you source media, the Blu-ray disc format on the Blu-ray disc is going to be    29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL) interlaced frames per second....and that is going to be 1920 x 1080 16:9 or 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. No other choices for the burn to there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Please review the thread that I just posted for 65 Lenny 888, especially the part where I refer to your scaling recommendations posted in your post 1. I am not sure how it is with your Premiere Elements 10 Windows, but with mine the default is with the "Default Scale to Frame Size" with a check mark. So, you can see the problem with the generalized workaround of scaling to 230 - 240% to get the image to just fill the screen. It is a blow out instead.

If I overlooked something here, please let me know. 65 Lenny 888 may have the same default as I do for version 10, so I thought that I had better mention it since this ID is a first time poster.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                65 Lenny 888 Level 1

Thank you for the help. I should have mentioned this:  I also tried burning these videos in PRE 11 running Windows 8 and I had the same problem.  I am going to try Steve Grisetti’s suggestion and right click the timeline (I assume this will work in PRE 11 as well).

1. A.T. Romano, the MP4s are 29 fps.  I have tried many different settings (DSLR, AVCHD LITE 720p 30 fps.  I have even tried some 1080p settings.  Everything I burn whether it is 1280 x 720 or full 1920 x 1080 AVI or MP4 gets cropped off about an inch all around the border when I burn the project to a blu ray. 

In my most recent project in PRE 11, I drug the clips into PRE and they went into the time line.  It did not ask me for project settings like PRE 10 does at the beginning.  How do I use “Default to scale frame size” in PRE 11 and what project settings should I use for the MP4s are 29 fps (1280 x 720)?  Thanks.

• 5. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. The process of resizing a video is very different in version 11.

You did say you are using version 10, right?

• 6. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Lenny 888

Thanks for the follow up information about the frame rate for .wmv and .mp4 source.

You say that the frame size for the .wmv is 1280 x 720. Please confirm, "Is the frame size of the .mp4 also 1280 x 720? If not, that please let us know. Did you mean to indicate that 1280 x 720 applied to both .wmv and .mp4 when you wrote

I have some 1280 X 720p wmv files and mp4 videos.

Also when you are viewing your Blu-ray, is the bottom cut off for the whole video or just those parts that are derived from either .wmv or .mp4 source?

What are you using for viewing the Blu-ray...computer program of TV's Blu-ray player or other?

I want to do a run through of what you are doing in order to see if I can pin point the cause of your problems. That is why I am asking for confirmation on the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                      65 Lenny 888 Level 1

I used PRE 10 for the past year.  I purchased PRE 11 on Saturday and I am trying to learn how to use it now.  Sorry for the confusion.  Please help me with PRE 11.  I tried to burn several MP4 videos onto a blu ray disk.  The MP4 videos are 1280 x 720 29 fps.  I am playing the burned blu ray disk on a Pioneer blu ray player connected to my widescreen TV in the den. 

It does not seem to matter  if the source is WMV or MP4, there is still about an inch or so cut off from top and bottom as well as side to side.  I  also noticed that when burning a 1920 x 1080 WMV it did something similar.  A small portion was cropped off the top and bottom.  I think the problem is worse when using 1280 x 720 sources.  When I burn to a blu ray disk it seems to blow up the picture to fit the screen but it blows it up too much.

I’m sorry I cannot give you more technical details,  I don’t know very much about burning disks and I am just now beginning to learn a few basic things aside from clicking "burn" on the burn to disk page.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

65 Lenny 888

Thanks for the helpful details. I will give this a run through with my Premiere Elements 11 Windows. I do not have a Blu-ray player to connect to my TV. I will just be checking it out via computer playback.

So, let me ask "If you play back the Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, do you see the cropping if you are doing computer playback? If so, what computer player(s) are you using?

I post again some time today with my results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

65 Lenny 888

I just did a run through

Premiere Elements 11

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD AVCHD-LITE 720p30

Source was a 1280 x 720 pixels at 30 progressive frames per second, AVCHD.mov.

Burn to Blu-ray with presets H.264 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

No cut offs at all when disc was played on computer using CyberLink PowerDVD or Media Classic Player HC.

My VLC Player right now is problematic for "home made" Blu-ray once I set it up to play back store purchased Blu-ray movies.

Still trying to work that out otherwise I would have tested this Blu-ray with VLC Media Player also.

If you get the same type of computer playback that I did in this case, we need to go after your TV's Blu-Ray player's settings.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...for what is written above, I work with Edit Menu/Preferences/Default Scale to Frame Size with a check mark. Works

great that way for use indicated.

• 10. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                            65 Lenny 888 Level 1

When I play the blu ray using Cyber Link Power DVD, it plays in a small rectangle in the middle of the screen and there is nothing cut off in the video.  When I select “full screen” in power DVD it blows up and  there is an inch cut off.  When I play this disk on two different blu ray players, it plays full screen and there is an inch cut off all around the borders. 

So, the video looks good in the preview window in PRE and it looks good in the small rectangular viewing screen in Power DVD but it will not play on a blu ray machine without blowing up to fill the screen (with one inch being cut off).

I also have one more huge  problem now that I am trying to move to PRE 11.  I tried to make a movie using PRE 11 and I could not do anything of the things I have done with PRE 10.  I do not even know where to begin. 

I tried to drag and drop several clips but it does not show the clips individually like PRE10 does in the maid window in the center. I highlighted 10 AVI files and tried to drag them into the main page that opens up when I launch PRE 11 and it only shows one clip.  I tried to drag that one clip down into the timeline and it said that it does not play audio files.   I don’t see the individual windows in the timeline where I can drag the files down like I did in 10. 

I also do not see where to select AVCHD Lite 720p 30 in PRE 11 like I did in 10.  Sorry  for all the questions.  This is so frustrating I am about ready to quit.    How do I begin making a project with several individual clips?

• 11. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

65 Lenny 888

First getting started with Premiere Elements 11 Windows

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 and go to File Menu/New/Project and in the new project dialog set the project preset for your project. Based on what you were using 1280 x 720 p30, set the project preset at NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p30. Make sure that you put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

2. I want you to be in the Expert, not the Quick, workspace. Go to Add Media/Files and Folders..browse to and select your 720p30 file. That will place the file in Project Assets. From there drag the 720p30 video to the opened Video Track 1 on the Timeline. Repeat for addition files.

3. If you had done the same thing in the Quick workspace, that is, Add Media/Files and Folders, your video would have gone directly to a scene space in the video bar of the Filmstrip. If there was audio linked to that video, there is no audio bar for that to be displayed in the Quick workspace. Further, the Quick workspace does not have a media storage area (Project Assets) as does the Expert view.

If you are working in the Quick workspace and are determine to work from that workspace, please take a look at my blog post on the Premiere Elements 11 Quick workspace.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe11-quick-workspace.html

Please review the above and then comment so that I can know that I am understanding your Premiere Elements 11 import issues. The program offers automatic setting of the project preset, but for this example I prefer not to complicate things by letting the program do that and introduce an unwanted issue. That manual setting of the project preset that I have suggested with take away at least that possible erroring of the program.

Now for the matter of your Blu-ray display...

Let us review the workflow that worked for me. Please repeat it detail for detail and then let me know if you still have the same problems with the Blu-ray display at playback anywhere (computer, TV, and Blu-ray player).

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 and set the project preset manually to NTSC AVCHD AVCHD-LITE 720p30, remembering to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project"

2. Be in the Expert workspace. DO NOT change the preferences. I want you working with the "Default Scale to Frame Size" option with a check mark. Then Add Media/Files and Folders to bring in your 720p to Project Assets. From Project Assets, drag your 720p30 file to the Timeline Video 1/Audio 1. Add additional 720p30 as wanted in a similar fashion. When the Timeline Indicator runs across the Timeline, do you see your video filling the Edit Mode monitor screen?

3. Tools/Movie Menu if you want to create a disc menu.

4. Then Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray and use the preset H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby.

What version of PowerDVD do you have? I have PowerDVD 9 (OEM). When I go through the process just described, the video playback in my PowerDVD fills the screen ..full view of the video...no cut offs.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....After all of the above, I forgot the most important part...DO NOT GIVE UP.

• 12. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                65 Lenny 888 Level 1

I followed the instructions mentioned above.  The blu ray disk now plays in Power DVD (version 10.0) with no cut off.  On one of my Blu ray players (Pioneer Elite 23 FD) it plays with a little cut off probably one half inch.  On my other blu ray player (Pioneer Elite 41 FD) the disk still plays with an inch of the video cut off from the top and bottom as well as both sides. Both blu ray players have the latest firmware updates from Pioneer.  I guess this is a blu ray player problem perhaps something specific to Pioneer since the disk plays on the computer with Power DVD? 

Is there another brand like Samsung or Sony that people have had good luck with?  I thought Pioneer Elite was supposed to be an excellent player?

Also, when burning a 1920 x 1080 MP4 at 24 fps, what presents should I use?

Thanks

• 13. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lenny,

Quick question:

Are the various Pioneer units hooked to the same TV?

The reason that I ask is that most HD TV's now have settings in their Menu, to determine exactly how various inputs will display. Some DVD/BD players have similar. That gives one two places to check that the settings are correct, and the same. I would verify all display setting on the TV(s), and also for each of your Pioneer players, just to rule that possibility out.

Your computer is likely showing the full Raster of the BD, where most TV's have a bit of overscan - though much less than with older CRT TV's. Still, many do not, and will not, display the full Raster, just more of it, than in the CRT days.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

65 Lenny 888

If you have not already, please recheck your non computer Blu-ray players' settings visually and via the instruction manuals. Maybe also check the TV if it has an aspect ratio setting.

If you have a "1920 x 1080 MP4 at 24 fps" Timeline and you are doing a burn to Blu-ray, you

would use

Burn to Blu-ray with presets H.264 1920 x 1080 NTSC Dolby (that is 29.97 interlaced frames per second)

There is no H.264 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second here.

If you were going to export that 1920 x 1080 MP4 at 24 fps as a file saved to the computer hard drive, then please

consider

,,,,/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080 p24.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

65 Lenny 888

I did not see Hunt's post until after I just posted.

If we are going in bring TV overscan into the matter, you might do a mini test where you keep your activity content within the outer rectangle of the Safe Margin feature. The inner rectangle is for the text limit. To display Safe Margins, just right click the monitor and select that option. The Safe Margin can be disabled by clicking on it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

If you have a newer TV, I think that I would check its aspect ratio as I stated in the prior post.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                        65 Lenny 888 Level 1

A.T.

I think what I meant to ask was what settings should I use when importing files that are 1920 X 1080 MP4 before I click burn to disk?  I see an AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30?  Thanks. 

• 17. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

64 Lenny 888

For that 1920 x 1080 mp4 file, we need to know what field type and what frame rate in order to make our decision on the most appropriate project preset in the new project dialog that greets you when you open a new project.

If you have 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 or 30 progressive frames per second, then look at

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DLSR 1080p30 @ 29.97

If you have 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, then look at

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

If you have 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 24 progressive frames per second, then look at

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

Please check out the above and let me know if I have targeted what you asked. If not, I will rewrite my reply based on your further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                            65 Lenny 888 Level 1

Thanks for the all the help ATR.  I think I solved the problem.  I played the disk on a new Samsung BD F7500 and a new Sony Widescreen LED and the disk played with no cut off.  I guess it was both of  my blu ray players as well as the TVs.  I am surprised.  I have a Pioneer Kuro Plasma that is four years old and a three year old Pioneer  Blu ray player with the latest firmware but I guess that is not current enough.  Anyway thanks for the help, I did learn some important things about burning blu rays that I will continue to use in future projects. 

• 19. Re: burning to a blu ray disk
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

65 Lenny 888

Thanks for the follow up. Glad that you sorted out the player TV side of the troubleshooting. Good job.

Premiere Elements is a continuing learning experience.for beginner, intermediate, and advanced users.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR