5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2008 11:14 AM by heathrowe

1px dash border on rectangle? Shows as solid line?

The Pie Man
      Am I doing something wrong? I need to make a rectangle that has a dashed 1px border. It only seems to work if the border is 2px or larger - if it is set to 1px it shows as a solid line. I've tried using different strokes to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?
        • 1. Re: 1px dash border on rectangle? Shows as solid line?
          Level 7
          The Pie Man wrote:
          > Am I doing something wrong? I need to make a rectangle that has a dashed 1px
          > border. It only seems to work if the border is 2px or larger - if it is set to
          > 1px it shows as a solid line. I've tried using different strokes to no avail.
          >
          > What am I doing wrong?

I find that it works if I first set the stroke to 1 pixel hard, and then
          switch it to Basic Dash. You can adjust the width of the dashes in the
          advanced stroke options window. To get there, once you've set the stroke
          type to Basic Dash, scroll to the bottom of the stroke category list and
          select Stroke Options. In the Stroke Options window, click on the
          Advanced button.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: 1px dash border on rectangle? Shows as solid line?
            The Pie Man Level 1
            Oops - my email notification of a response was in my junk folder so I didn't notice your answer.

I've tried this. First I draw a rectangle. Then I set it to have a border of 1 px hard. So far so good. Then I go to advanced options, and choose "single dash". It shows as a dash in the bottom of this advanced panel, and I hit the "ok" button.

Nothing happens to the rectangle I have selected. It still has a solid line for a border. I can draw a new rectangle and it still has a solid border. If I then select the line too and draw a line, it is dashed - but obviously that's not much help.
            • 3. Re: 1px dash border on rectangle? Shows as solid line?
              Level 7
              The Pie Man wrote:
              > Oops - my email notification of a response was in my junk folder so I didn't
              > notice your answer.
              >
              >
              > I've tried this. First I draw a rectangle. Then I set it to have a border of
              > 1 px hard. So far so good. Then I go to advanced options, and choose "single
              > dash". It shows as a dash in the bottom of this advanced panel, and I hit the
              > "ok" button.

Try pressing the Enter button instead. Which version of Fireworks are
              you using?

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              • 4. Re: 1px dash border on rectangle? Shows as solid line?
                The Pie Man Level 1
                Fireworks CS3 on OS X 10.5.1

Same result using Enter (and Return). If I set the line to 2px instead of 1px it shows up.
                • 5. 1px dash border on rectangle? Shows as solid line?
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                  I get the same result as Pie Man.

Dashed only shows on a rectangle with Stroke of 2 and above.

1 pixel Stroke Dash works fine with Brush, Pen and Vector Path Tools but not with the primitives!

WinXP Pro

But it does work by merely selecting the Basic Dash Preset and ignoring the process of going through the Advanced Options.

h