7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 7:19 AM by Nschutt

Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!

CorneliaGeppert

From time to time photoshop (cs4 and cs6) deletes our Wacom settings and we have to put every shortkey completely new in the wacom settings. how did this happen? how can we avoid that? or at least can we save the wacom settings somehow? HELP! thanx.

• 1. Re: Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This has nothing to do with PS, this is the Wacom stuff by itself. This usually happens when the driver crashed or the control panel thinks you have changed your screen resolution and thus the projection area. Likewise, a simple thing like plugging the tablet to a different USB port can reset settings.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

CorneliaGeppert wrote:

From time to time photoshop (cs4 and cs6) deletes our Wacom settings

What proof do you have that any Adobe Software is even looking at you Wacom tablets settings?  I can not think of any reason why Photoshop would even need to know what setting have made for your tablet for Photoshop or any other program.

Photoshop has setting you can set and change for how Photoshop reacts to your tablets pen pressure and tilt. That's about it. Photoshop does not have anything to do with express keys, clicks or touch any more then it does for you mouse buttons and keyboard keys.  Photoshop just reacts to what they  do if it relates to Photoshop.

I would think it is more likely that some Wacom or system security application the is deleting your Wacom settings.    The Wacom Tablet Properties control panel application is what you use to configure your tablet.  If you use the control Panel, Express keys or a touch gesture to configure your tablet.  Your settings are stored in your user id settings.  Each user get their own stored in a file named "Wacom_Tablet.dat".  Where this file is depends on the OS and version your running. On my Windows 7 Professional system its in  "C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\WTablet" and if your tablet supports touch there a second file in there "WacomTouch.xml".  

Back Up the configuration file(s) and use your backup to restore your settings when they get deleted.   You may also have to unplug the tablet restorer the setting file and then plug the tablet back in.  There may be a monitor utility you could use to see what applications touch the configuration file to get a handle on what is deleting you settings.

• 3. Re: Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!
              Level 7

Photoshop doesn't know anything about Wacom settings, and could not delete them.

• 4. Re: Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!
                Frank J Benz

This happens from time to time on my Macintosh computer as well, has been happening for years and I have never been able to figure out just what is causing it but it affects both of my tablets, one is an Intuos 4 medium and the other is an Intuos 5 medium. While it is annoying to have to reset everything there is a rather easy way to accomplish this with the supplied Wacom Utility.

You should have the Wacom Tablet Utility installed as part of the software that comes with the tablet. Once you have all of the buttons set the way you want them just open the utility and choose the back up setting. Pick a file and location someplace on your computer where you will be able to find it with ease later. If you have more than one tablet, just save each ones settings under the tablet model name for ease of finding. If at any time down the road you make changes to your settings just do another back up.

When the little glitch comes along that causes the settings to return to factory default all you need to do is open the Wacom Tablet Utility, locate the file where the back up is stored, locate the proper tablet (if you have more than one), click on that file and then click on the restore button. Takes about two or three seconds and the tablet will restart with all of your previously saved settings.

• 5. Re: Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!
                  CorneliaGeppert Level 1

Thanx to you all for the Help. At least the back up idea helps a lot! we will try all other suggestions and see if it may work!

• 6. Re: Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!
                    dshylton

I'm having this same issue but I know for a fact it's not PS doing it, its the tablet software itself.  this has been going on for years now and every time I contact Wacom about it they tell me they can't do anything about it.  USELESS!!!  The back up utility doesn't work either because when I do save it, and go to restore it, it still doesn't put my settings back.

• 7. Re: Help! Photoshop randomly deletes all the Wacom Settings!
                      Nschutt

I know this is an old thread, but this happens to me, too, on my MAC every couple of months including yesterday.  An old-fashioned reboot fixed it without resorting to doing a restore of my saved Wacom preferences.