5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 7:00 PM by A.T. Romano

PE11 import 1080i Sony Nex7 output 1080p blur

bertro2013

I have some footage of quick moving bicycles. Importing to project AVCHD 1920 x 1080i 60 from Nex 7. Project is full HD 1920 x 1080i 30, square pixel, upper field first. I check "always deinterlace" try to output Mp4 h264 1080p 29.97 and there is lots of motion blur.

I have exported deinterlaced, field reversed, and straight 1080p and they all pretty much look the same.

imput file is .MTS upper field first interlaced

29.97 fps

15.5 - 18 variable Mbps

CABAC / 2 Ref frames

8 bit depth

4:2:0 Chroma

running on i7 with 16gb ram

Can someone help me with settings for full HD computer play back as well as best blueray playback.for HDTV?

thanks.

• 1. Re: PE11 import 1080i Sony Nex7 output 1080p blur
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why are you not using the project settings for AVCHD 1920x1080p?

The workflow you're describing steps your 60fps frame rate down to 30i. If you then output as 1080p, you're just multiplying frames, not actually getting back to your original 60 frames per second. Deinterlacing would have no effect here.

Regardless, Premiere Elements outputs a 30i BluRay, so there is no way to keep 60p the whole way through the process if you're going to output a BluRay with menus from Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: PE11 import 1080i Sony Nex7 output 1080p blur
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bertro2013 and SG

I see nowhere that a 1080p60 source is mentioned or involved here. So, I need clarification related to SG's comment

so there is no way to keep 60p the whole way through the process if you're going to output a BluRay with menus from Premiere Elements.

For your consideration....

If you have "AVCHD 1920 x 1080i 60", you have 1920 x 1080 16:9 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second (aka 60 field per second).

The only Premiere Elements 11 project preset that I see consistent with that source is:

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD Full HD 1080i30

Not...

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

or

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97.

As for export source...what are you aiming at...a file to playback on the computer or a burn to? Or both....Seems to be both.

a. the burn to is fixed at 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second no matter what is on that Timeline. And, the field order would seem to be consistent from project preset to import to export...upper field first for project preset and import and upper field first for the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. So, I would ask "what did the video (unrendered or rendered) look like on the Timeline with the project preset that I have cited above?"

b. more on the export to file saved to hard drive later...but just quick question...when you were going this route, did you have Field Options/Always Deinterlaced selected when you were at Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 where it would seem de-interlacing is part of the export whether or not you have the Field Option selected?

bertro2013 and SG, please review and then let me know if I have misinterpreted anything in what has been already posted.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE11 import 1080i Sony Nex7 output 1080p blur
              bertro2013 Level 1

I see that although the setting is 1080i 60 the frame rate is only 29.97fps. I was importing with "full HD 1080i 30" preset for project. Should I be using the 1080p 30 avchd preset? My priority is computer playback from hdd / youtube.

• 4. Re: PE11 import 1080i Sony Nex7 output 1080p blur
                bertro2013 Level 1

Yes, the output preset was in addition to the "always deinterlace" filter. Does the preset MP4 H. 254 1920 x 1080p 30 have that built into the preset for export? Thank you guys for the replies.

• 5. Re: PE11 import 1080i Sony Nex7 output 1080p blur
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bertro2013

I suspect that the output preset has the "deinterlaced" included since you can see that listed for an Output description even if you do not have anything on the Timeline at the time that you open Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

The project preset should be as I have indicated. No matter what your intended export...the project preset should match the properties of your source media so that the program can be directed to find project settings to match it for editing, not exporting, purposes. The project preset setting will direct the program to set up a space in the Edit Mode Monitor to agree with the properties of your source for editing purposes.

From what you have posted, you have "full HD 1080i30". That is 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. If that is also a description of your source, then that is where you want to be with the project preset.

The following is meant for informational purposes and not to distract you from the path that you are on and are evaluating for your use.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

It is an article explaining interlaced and progressive footage.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR