6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 2:55 PM by Reimund T

Does ucf.jar handle spaces in file names?

wgallafent

As far as I can see, it does not:

humber:zxpdir williamg$ find .
      ./foo
      ./foo/foo bar
      ./foo/foobar
      humber:zxpdir williamg$ java -Djsse.enableSNIExtension=false -jar ../../../adobesigningtoolkit/ucf.jar -package ../foo.zxp -C /Users/williamg/Projects/zxptesting/build/zxpdir/ .
      humber:zxpdir williamg$ unzip -l ../foo.zxp
      Archive:  ../foo.zxp
        Length     Date   Time    Name
      --------    ----   ----    ----
             41  08-26-13 19:46   mimetype
              0  08-26-13 19:46   foo/foobar
      --------                   -------
             41                   2 files

That appears to indicate that the file “foo/foobar” is being added to the zipfile, but that “foo/foo bar” is not.

Is this a known bug, … and if so, is there an ETA for it to be fixed?

As an aside: is there a way to determine the version number of the ucf.jar that I have? “-version” doesn't seem to be available on the command line.

• 1. Re: Does ucf.jar handle spaces in file names?
          Yuanyuan Liu Level 1

Please use  the tool "Adobe Exchange Packager" to package extensions.

where should I download "Adobe Exchange Packager"? Please Login "https://www.adobeexchange.com/", click"go to the producer portal" and signIn, choose "Resources" and download the "Adobe Exchange Packager".

• 2. Re: Does ucf.jar handle spaces in file names?
            wgallafent Level 1

According to the documentation:

“If you have created your product using earlier versions of these tools, or the free Creative Suite SDK, or if it is a script or  C++ plug-in, or some combination of these things, you can manually create a manifest MXI file and package your delivery files into a ZXP, using the command-line utility in the Packaging and Signing Toolkit. See the section Packaging Manually

(The link points to the section which indicates that the UCF command line tool should be used to create the package.)

Is this documentation wrong?

The Packager utility indicates that it supports the following types of content for Photoshop:

• Actions (ATN)
            • Brushes (ABR)
            • Gradients (GRD)
            • Patterns (PAT)
            • Scripts (JSX)
            • Swatches (ACO, ASE)

That does not include filter plug-ins (.8bf on Windows, .plugin on Mac), and so it does not apply to my use case.

(Furthermore, it does not appear to be possible to run the packager tool from the command line, meaning that it is not useful to me since it would be very difficult to integrate it with our build system. Is it possible to run the Packager from the command line?)

• 3. Re: Does ucf.jar handle spaces in file names?
              Carl Sun Level 4

Adobe Exchange Packager is a new tool. It doesn't support command line. "Using Adobe Exchange Packager" section hasn't been updated to reflect the latest version. Now you can create a mxi file manually and place it as well as all content files in a folder then package it with Exchange Packager. You can use .8bf or other file types.

• 4. Re: Does ucf.jar handle spaces in file names?
                wgallafent Level 1

Since Adobe Exchange Packager cannot be driven from the command line, it is not useful to me, so I will continue to use ucf.jar.

I see that the spaces-in-filenames problem is fixed with the version available through the prerelease programme, which is dated December 2012. Perhaps it's time to replace the publicly available version with the one currently in prerelease, and to update the currently misleading documentation of Adobe Exchange Packager to reflect the current state of affairs!

• 5. Re: Does ucf.jar handle spaces in file names?
                  wgallafent Level 1

So, finally, to answer my own question:

The version of ucf.jar dated December 2012 does support spaces in filename. At the time of writing this version is only available through the prerelease programme. The publically released version, dated October 2012, does not support spaces in filenames. There is no known other tool provided by Adobe which may be driven from the command line to create .zxp packages for Extension Manager.

• 6. Re: Does ucf.jar handle spaces in file names?
                    Reimund T Level 1
                    There is no known other tool provided by Adobe which may be driven from the command line to create .zxp packages for Extension Manager.

As of now, there is at least one other tool. As explained in this article ZXPSignCmd can be used to create zxp packages.

http://www.davidebarranca.com/2014/05/html-panels-tips-10-packaging-zxp-installers/