10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 7:33 AM by JeanK77

TOC Entries from Numbered Paragraphs are Out of Order

RAOmilctr Level 1

I have a book and related documents. Strewn throughout the documents are several graphics, with which I have used the Live Captions feature. The numbered paragraphs generate with the correct figure number in the text frame to which they are added. However, when generating a TOC for the Book, and including related book documents, my paragraphs do not list in order when there is more than one figure (instance of the numbered paragraph) on the same page. This occurs whether I have Sort Entries in Alphabetical Order checked or not.

Thus, I have a graphic at the top of page, Figure 01, and a graphic at the bottom of page, Figure 02. For some reason, the TOC places Figure 02 above Figure 01 in the TOC:

Figure 02 - This is the second graphic for the document....... 1

Figure 01 - This is the first graphic for the document............. 1

I created a new document, and just placed six instances of the Caption style I created, and they all have the correctly ordered  numbered paragraph. Figures 01 through 06. The captions are out of order on the page, however, in the following way:

Figure 01 - Caption 1

Figure 02 - Caption 2

Figure 03 - Caption 3

Figure 04 - Caption 5

Figure 05 - Caption 6

Figure 06 - Caption 4

These entries feed into the TOC correctly; in figure order as above, or when Sort Entries in Alphabetical Order is checked, they change order and alphabetize, based on the caption, thusly:

Figure 01 - Caption 1

Figure 02 - Caption 2

Figure 03 - Caption 3

Figure 06 - Caption 4

Figure 04 - Caption 5

Figure 05 - Caption 6

At the same time the entries in the previous document chapter, are still out of order, so the entire TOC looks like this:

Figure 1-02 - This is the second graphic for the document

Figure 1-01 - This is the first graphic for the document

Figure 2-01 - Caption 1

Figure 2-02 - Caption 2

Figure 2-03 - Caption 3

Figure 2-06 - Caption 4

Figure 2-04 - Caption 5

Figure 2-05 - Caption 6

Things I have tried to remedy the situation:

Saw in a Google search that the order of the placement of the enclosing frame on the page determines the TOC order, so I ensured that the first graphic was leftmost at the top paragraph of the page. No change in sort order of the TOC entries.

Saw that the order in which graphics are added to the document determines the TOC order, so I cut all graphic elements out of page, and carefully re-pasted each in the order they should be in. No change. Tried reverse order, pasting last graphic first, and first last. No change in behavior.

I have updated all book/document numbering from the shortcut menu in the Book tab window. Updated TOC, and no change.

On a lark, I copied all of the document contents to a new document for the book, and added the document to the book in last position. I then updated the numbering again, and updated the TOC. It looked like this:

Figure 1-02 - This is the second graphic for the document

Figure 1-01 - This is the first graphic for the document

Figure 3-02 - This is the second graphic for the document

Figure 3-01 - This is the first graphic for the document

Figure 2-01 - Caption 1

Figure 2-02 - Caption 2

Figure 2-03 - Caption 3

Figure 2-06 - Caption 4

Figure 2-04 - Caption 5

Figure 2-05 - Caption 6

Now, at this point, I just have to ask, WTH? The documents are in 1 - 2 - 3 order for the book, but the TOC re-sorts the Caption style entries to the order 1 - 3 - 2? What in the world is going on???

Any help or suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich