8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 11:31 AM by A.T. Romano

Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.

dmike515 Level 1

Hello. This is my first question. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Every video I render ends up looking a little bit shaky. The original video is not shaky, nor does it appear on the editing screen. The final video is not terrible but it is quite noticable and I am not happy with it. Each rendered video appears to be jumping up and down very slightly, about the height of one or two pixels. 

I suspect I am making a simple error or missing an option somewhere that will help. I have seen discussion of interlacing and de-interlacing but I do not know what this means or how to change it. All the software settings are still in their original state.

Also, the title screens I have made do not shake, only the video portions.

I am using the PC version of Adobe Premier Elements 11. I import videos from a Sony HD camera in .MTS format. I output them using the settings for Computer and AVCHD, then selecting MP4- HD 720p  24. The final videos will be for use on both Youtube and a private website.

What am I missing? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dmike515

To get a better understanding of interlaced and progressive video, please check out the following online article which I believe does an excellent job explaining the matter.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

As for your "Final Video Shaking", let us start with the usual drill.

a. What are the properties of your source media? And, what you or the project setting as the project preset? The program is supposed to do that setting automatically for you. Sometimes it does that OK, sometimes, does not. If you need to know what the program is setting for you automatically, please look to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for the Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size. If the program is not giving you the appropriate match between properties of source media and project preset, then you set the project preset manually and correctly before you import any media in with Get Media/Files and Folders/...to Project Assets.

b. What are the export setting, including those under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset selected? Are you customizing any of them? Or are you just going with

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

MP4 - HD 720p24

Are you selecting the MP4 - HD 720p24 because that is what you want or because you are using that as a substitute for something that you cannot find?

What are you using for player for the export? And, in reflecting on "shaky", is that more flickering or other than shaky?

Please review and then we can move forward based on your details.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
            dmike515 Level 1

Thanks ATR!

a. Original file is AVCHD video in .MTS format. 1440 x 1080.

The PE11 is choosing for me. It is set to HD1080i, 29.97 frames, 1920x1080. So it appears this is one point I have missed, and that I will need to change it each time? Also I have not been importing in the way you describe. I have just been dragging and dropping each file onto the timeline. I assume you describe importing it in this way for a reason and I will try it that way next time.

b. I have not been customizing the export settings. I select them in the way you describe each time. I have chosen this setting for no reason other than a friend who works in media resources suggested that it was a good setting for my needs. I am happy to hear any other suggestions or reasons to use a different setting. I do not know what the professional standards are.

The player I am using is media player. I have also uploaded the video to a private Youtube channel and it appears the same there.

It is definitely a shakiness or jumpiness rather than what I think of as a flicker. It is not moving from side to side, only up and down. It is jumping up and down about the height of one or two pixels, about 8 or 10 times a second. The lighting does not change.

I am brand new to all this and greatly appreciate the help. I read the link you posted about interlacing and that seems to not be a factor here but that is a very helpful link! Thank you!

• 3. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
              dmike515 Level 1

Playing around now. Tried exporting a 30 second clip with a few different settings:

Set the import settings to better match the original file. Set the output file to MP4 - H264 1440x1080p 30 and it took care of my problem! Hurray! The new problem is that the newly rendered file is 5 times the size of the old ones I was making. So this setting will take longer to render and make a much larger file which I think will complicate things in terms of upload times and loading times for viewers.

These videos don't have to be the absolute best quality. I do want them to look professional though, with a balancing factor being that I don't want them to take forever to render and to upload, etc. Any advice on video quality and file type would be wonderful.

Thank so much.

• 4. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

dmike515

Good news. Let us see if we can fine tune.

If you source is AVCHD.mts (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9) at 29.97/30 interlaced frame per second, then the appropriate project preset is going to be

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD HD 1080i30

The program's automatic project preset setting is not 100%, so best you define your situation. In your case, manually set the project preset to the above as detailed in my prior post.

Now when it comes to export...the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080i30 is probably going to give you the best results. I do not recommend the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic here. Although both will give you the display of 1920 x 1080, the 1440 x 1080 with its 16:9 flag forces the player to recognize the 16:9 flag to give the 1920 x 1080 display. Some players can have a problem with that, not just Premiere Elements footage.

Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, the settings should look like...

Settings.JPG

If file size is a problem, you could try to find a good compromise of bitrate settings and file size and quality.

My screenshot cut off the default Target Bitrate = 32 Mbps (megabits per second) and Maximum Bitrate = 40 Mbps.

Please check out the above and let us know how you are progressing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
                  dmike515 Level 1

I still haven't found the right balance yet but I am extremely happy and grateful.

I cannot thank you enough for your time and effort. Your clear answers and attention to detail are a blessing. More than I hoped for!

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

dmike515

Thanks for the update.

If you want me to think about this some more, please do not hestiate to ask.

We can go into any number of variations related to alternative camera settings, export choices, and best players for the export playback,

Just describe where you would seek better and, if there is a better, we will try to find it.

Continued success with your projects.

Thanks again.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
                      ForumCruiser Level 1

This is an old post now but I will add my simple solution.

I had the exact same problem as dmike515. I am using PE10 and tried to output using the supplied MP4 720-24 settings. The finished video was jumping up and down.

My simple solution was to modify the framerate setting to match my camera at 25 fps insteaed of 24. The video is now perfect. I am recording at 1920X1080 but that doesn't seem to affect the output a whole lot.

• 8. Re: Final video is shaky. It is an ongoing problem.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ForumCruiser

Although we are glad for you in that one of your Premiere Elements 10 issues resolved, we would question your generalization that "I had the exact same problem as dmike515.".....presumed "finished video was jumping up and down." And, we would remind you that problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. And, your report

My simple solution was to modify the framerate setting to match my camera at 25 fps instead of 24

would need a lot more attention as to cause and effect.

dmike515's issue was looked at in detail and resolved over a year ago based on the details.

If you are currently having problems with your Premiere Elements 10 workflows, please do not hesitate to ask questions, accompanied

by the details of the issue.

Thank you.

ATR