12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 4:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7

MeekaLuluLuna

I still need help creating a slideshow set to music for DVD playback at my 50th high school reunion. 

Video Media = 700 still images in .jpg or .tff format.  Pixel sizes range from 200x200 to over 3000x4000.

I first created this project using PE's presets and original image sizes.  Images added to PE were more blurred than originals & images burned to DVD were even more blurred so I asked for advice.

Last week several people in the forum tried to help.  I really appreciate everyone's suggestions but would still appreciate further advice. 

Forum experts said to restart my project with project settings changed to DV 720x480...and to resize my images to 1000x750 pixels.  Then today in a PE11 chat session, I was told something different: use project settings changed to DVD 720p 30 and resize only larger images down to 1280 x 720 (leave smaller images alone). 

So what project settings and resizing should I use for better image clarity?  How do I change project settings?  By clicking on "new" under "file" >change project settings >DVD 720p 30 or something else?

• 1. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For NTSC, DVD-Video will be 720 x 480 @ 30FPS, in either Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9. Are you planning to output to DVD-Video?

If you are going to DVD-Video, then that NTSC DV (again, either Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9) will be what you want. I think that there was possibly confusion on the part of Adobe Chat.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your questions were all answered in your other thread, Meeka.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5622411#5622411

What specific aspects of the project do you still have questions about?

a) Make sure that all of your photos are sized 1000x750 pixels in size.

b) As Bill says, start a new project using the settings for DV video. You can not change your project's settings mid-project. You can only set your project settings when you first start a project.

Follow those two simple rules and you'll get the best possible results.

Otherwise, please refer to your old thread in which we covered a number of details.

• 3. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
              MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

Thank you, Bill.  I'm taking your advice.

FYI: the chat guy said "

As I advised you to resize the images to 1280x720 and select the project

settings as HDV 720p.  This is the best settings for you to start up with

the new project and will not give you a blurry playback.

So I did 4 short test projects last night, 2 using your setting advice & 2

using chat's advice.  Then I burned each two ways (NTSC DV Dolby &

Widescreen).

Results: the project created with your settings and burned NTSC DV

widescreen won hands down.  The text captions on many of my images is not

readable with disk playback to TV!  Thank you very much.

• 4. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
                MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

Thank you Steve.  One more question: is it necessary to upsize photos that

are smaller than 1000x750?  I don't see any clarity differences in

comparison DVD playbacks from the test projects I created.

• 5. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7

If you're happy with the results, that's all that matters.

But I don't know how a 200x200 pixel photo is going to look when blown up to a 720x480 now matter how it is up-rezzed. Photos really do need to be at least 640x480 to look even remotely good on a DVD.

• 7. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7

Okay -- but, as I say, upsizing may not make all that much difference.

If your original photo is only 200x200 pixels, then upsizing it is just going to repeat pixels --- so your picture is going to look blurry anyway.

I really recommend not using photos smaller than 640x480, even if you manually upsize them, in a video project if you can possibly help it. They just don't have enough resolution to give you a clear picture!

• 8. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure you are correctly reading what Steve said... I don't think he said that you SHOULD upsize... I think he said that photos need to START at least at a 640x480 size... and that if you upsize a smaller photo it may not look good

If you do have pictures that are smaller than 640x480 and you upsize... be prepared for pictures that don't look very good on a DVD

• 9. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Up-rezzing small Still Images, regardless of the program and the Scaling algorithm used, can lead to a diminished quality. As Steve says, pixels are created, where none existed. I try to stay away from up-rezzing, whenever possible, due to that diminished qualtiy.

If I have to work with very small Images, I often use another workflow, and a different asethetic choice. When faced with the prospect of using small Images, I will create a background of some sort (many options here), and then use that small Image at its original size, "framed" within that background - no Scaling involved, but obviously, that small Image will not fill the screen. The viewer usually has fewer problems with the small Image, than one that is larger, but has started to fall apart, due to the up-rezzing.

One "trick" that I use is to use that small Image AS the background, but alter it greatly, probably dropping its contrast and upping its brightness, and even adding a Blur to it, then do a PiP (Picture in Picture) of the Image at its original size. I might even create a "picture frame" in Photoshop, to really set that small Image apart from the background. That is but one of dozens of such possible treatments, and one is only limited by their imagination.

Another possible treatment would be to do a "photo wall" with several of the small Images in say a 3 x 2 matrix of PiP's. Sort of like a Contact Sheet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
                          MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

Great ideas. Thank you.

Sandy

• 11. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
                            MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

What you said about up-sizing rezz problems for the viewers makes sense.  I

appreciate the explanation.

• 12. Re: Need tech help creating project with PE11, Windows 7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

When doing a Project, such as yours, it's not always possible to get the greatest Images (or Videos, for that matter), and I have been there, done that.

I have tried to use decades of Photoshop work as a guide, and to come up with other methods to use less than optimal material.

The same thing happens, when one has vertical (portrait) Images, which present several problems in a horizontal (landscape) Video Project. For that reason, I did a tutorial on working with those, and using an "abstract background," to allow me to mix portrait and horizontal materials: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2471303#2471303

That tutorial takes things to a "whole new level," but might be useful to give you some ideas for your material.

Personally, and depending on your Images, I think that I would consider the photo wall matrix with various PiP's for the smaller Images. I often use that technique, even when I have adequately large Images, but want something a bit different.

Good luck,

Hunt