6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2008 8:26 PM by davidmedifit

Alternatives to per processor flex use

aniruddha.ghorpade
      What we have
      8 processor linux box with 8 websphere licenses.

What we need now:
      Implementation of flex technology.But for which we need to use 8 licenses of flex as its per processor based license.

Problem :
      cost going high 8 process = 8 licenses .

What I am looking for or is it possible or any inputs
      1)Can we use flex as shared library if not 1 across 8 processors can we live with 4 shared flex lib across 8 processor
      2)Sorry we cannot cut down on processors we need all 8 processors running
      3)Are there any other apis's which can make this possible.
      4)need some work around.
        • 1. Re: Alternatives to per processor flex use
          davidmedifit Level 1
          aniruddha,
          It appears you've fallen into a FUD trap that is commonly quoted in the IT community.

There is NO per-processor cost for Flex. Flex Builder is a product you can use to create your Flex apps - they deploy as a SWF and can be placed on any server, or as many servers as you like for no extra charge.

Now, if you cannot afford Flex Builder, you can download the SDK, develop and deploy Flex apps for free.

So, please....don't reduce your servers, you got alot of firepower there, I hope you get to use it all :-)

Post back if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Davo
          • 2. Re: Alternatives to per processor flex use
            aniruddha.ghorpade Level 1
            Hi davidmedifit , Thanks for the inputs .
            I think you are talking about Felx builder, what we are talking is about FELX Data Services or now its called Lifecycle Data Services, which is a server side component.

So reframing my Question shall be.
            What we have
            8 processor linux box with 8 websphere licenses.

What we need now:
            Implementation of FELX Data Services .But for which we need to use 8 licenses of FELX Data Services as its per processor based license.

Problem :
            cost going high 8 process = 8 licenses .

What I am looking for or is it possible or any inputs
            1)Can we use FELX Data Services as shared library if not 1 across 8 processors can we live with 4 shared flex lib across 8 processor
            2)Sorry we cannot cut down on processors we need all 8 processors running
            3)Are there any other apis's which can make this possible.
            4)need some work around.

please do let us know , appologies for the typo.
            • 3. Re: Alternatives to per processor flex use
              davidmedifit Level 1
              AH! LiveCycle - that IS a different story. I'm not sure I have an answer for you - maybe you could get a sales volume discount from Adobe?

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but have you researched "Blaze DS"? It is a free and open source version of LiveCycle (created and supported by Adobe). Now, I'm not an expert by any means on this, but the main difference appears to be this: Blaze will only "push" data to a client, and will not handle synchronization (which LCDS will).

More information was posted on Ben Forta's blog a little while ago:
              http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/12/13/ColdFusion-And-Data-Services--Live-Cycle-Da ta-Services-or-BlazeDS

Also, my user group is trying to arrange a presentation on this subject, our blog is located here: www.cfugitives.com, you're more than welcome to sit in on the presentation when it happens.

Cheers,

Davo
              • 4. Re: Alternatives to per processor flex use
                paulfeuer Level 1
                you can also deploy applications without LiveCycle. our app just uses servlet calls. it does mean we have to do all the other stuff, but it's not been too big a hassle.

./paul
                • 5. Re: Alternatives to per processor flex use
                  aniruddha.ghorpade Level 1

Blaze DS Research
                  Thanks davidmedifit for pointing me to Blaze DS .

My research on Blaze DS shows that Technically there is no difference between LiveCycle and Blaze DS. I was puzzeled coz you said
                  "Blaze will only "push" data to a client, and will not handle synchronization (which LCDS will)."

Contrary to the above I am reading.....
                  The only difference I am viewing on the diferent websites/rviews on the website is .
                  LiveCycle is a certified version of Blaze DS , belssed by Adobe support etc , with no technical difference in them.
                  Thi is an intresting excerpt .
                  "What about the product Adobe LiveCycle Data Services product? We'll be offering a LiveCycle Data Services, Community Edition as a subscription offering that includes certified builds of BlazeDS, enterprise support, additional developer support, and may contain additional benefits, such as product warranty and infringement indemnity. "

taken from
                  http://www.dcooper.org/blog/client/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=D3DE455C-4E22-1671-5DCB743AA 03272F4.

other links are.
                  http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Adobe-open-sources-BlazeDS-/0,339028227,339284603,00. htm

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/12/adobe-releases-blazeds-open-source-version-of-livecyc le-data-services/

I am trying to narrow down and get the truth from the developer community who have seen the product or the trial versions.

pl do let me know.
                  • 6. Re: Alternatives to per processor flex use
                    davidmedifit Level 1
                    aniruddha,
                    This was a little further down Damon's blog post: "LiveCycle Data Services ES is the commercial version of the product for enterprise-class applications that require data synchronization"

So, there are different versions of LiveCycle, and I read the same as you did, that there is little, if any, functional difference between Blaze and LCDS (standard as opposed to ES). It's something I plan to bring up at our next user group meeting.

I hope this solution works for you.

Cheers,

David