8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 9:29 AM by Peter Spier

ID CRASH: Path Text Issue

Flügel

Hello,

I use ID CS 6 on Windows 7 64 Bit.

I have build a new Project over a few Weeks and everything worked fine.

Today I tried to type on a Path, like i did several times before.
      And suddenly ID just stops working, just crashed.

Not even the Error Window of W7 appears.

I started new and tried to type on a path in a new file, it just works fine, i tried again in the Projektfile and ID crashs again.

I´ve tested an older version of the Projectfile, there is the same Problem: ID crashes.

So after installing the newest update, searching in Help Center and searchengines iam here to ask you about the Problem.

Did some one of you got an idea what the problem is or even got a solution for me?

Have a good day.

Flügel

• 1. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It could be any number of  things, from a bad font to a corrupt style. The palce to start with problems that affect only a specific file is to export to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 2. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue
            Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Hi Flugel,

I started new and tried to type on a path in a new file, it just works fine, i tried again in the Projektfile and ID crashs again.

Based on above statement I would expect it to be a file specific issue.

You could export the file to IDML (File>Export) which could help in removing minor corruption from file.

--Manish

• 3. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue
              Flügel Level 1

Hi Manish, Hi Spier, yes it has to be an file specific issue.

But i tried your ideas:

First I exported it to an IDML.
              Then i saved the IDML as INDD.

In this INDD-FIle was no Text anymore (can you tell me why this happend and how i can remove my text)!

Actaully i tried to type on the path in this corrupted (missing text) INDD-file. It doesnt work. ID crashes again. Remember i worked a long time in this specific file, and the Type is not bad, so i really don´t know what happen dto the file.

Equal, Indesign is really stucked when i try to type on the path in the IDML file, so i can not really tell you whether it works or not.
              I startet the pc and indesign all over again and again but the issues do not  dissapear.

Its really bad, because its just a very new situation, till now everything worked fine!

I hope you can imagine what i try to explain , sorry for my bad english i am from germany!

Flügel

• 4. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue

Ther is somethign SERIOUSLY wrong with this file. If the .idml file has no text, that is either an incomplete export or some other issue inside the file. Are you sur the text is missing, and not just hidden in some way? Check the story editor after putting your cursor where the text used to be, if you can.

Did you start this project fresh in CS6, or is it converted from an older version? Do oyou have any backup copies of older versions?

See if you have any success with this tool: Adobe Community: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)

• 5. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue
                  Flügel Level 1

Okay, we getting closer.

The Text is just hidden, i see the text in the Story Editor, got an Idea why its hidden in the idml?

I have older versions with the same problem....

it was all build in cs 6...

I try your program, very interesting.

Thanks

• 6. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue

Text can be hidden for any number of reason. Check the color, for starters.

Do you see an overset indicator? Could be a text wrap issue with some other frame. Might also be a keep options problem, or even a line too long to fit the width of the frame that cannot break for some reason. It's usually easiedt to diagnose from the Story Editor.

• 7. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue
                      Flügel Level 1

OK, i think i will try to finish the project with out path type...
                      I will find out why the text is hidden, if the color is white now it happend automatically.
                      THE IDML File is not editable, because indesign is crashing while opening (64bit with 8Gb RAM).

The new INDD File opens slowly but finally opens and then all texts are hidden.

But the Questions is not why the text is hidden, the question is how can it happend that i cannot use path type.

If the Project is done i will try out your Programm and maybe try again on the idml!

Its very crazy!

• 8. Re: ID CRASH: Path Text Issue

You may have missed my point about how damaged your file seems to be. An undamaged file should export to .idml and open on the same system looking identical to the original. The fac that that didn't happen means something is wrong in the original file, and that something is probably also related to the problem with the type on a path.

I would suggest youmake backup copies of this file at every major change point in case it gets worse so you have somethign recent you might be able to recover.

I'd also try makeing a new single page docuemnt the same size, then select all the pages in the orignal file in the Pages panel and use the Move Pages command to put them in the new file BEFORE page 1 (to preserve page order and recto/verso relationships), thenb delete the old page  1 which shoul now be a balnk page at the end. See if that behaves any better.