5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2013 5:34 AM by Tommyvincent

How do I avoid duplication in the title?

Tommyvincent Level 1

I have a five minute video with a General/Default Text title at the beginning and at the end. When I change the text in the opening title, the text in the closing title is changed to this same text. When I edit the closing title text, this edit is reflected in the opening title. How can I change text in one title so that it does not change the text in the other title?

I tried this title edit many times. It always happens the same way. I want the opening title to say one thing and the closing title to say another.

• 1. Re: How do I avoid duplication in the title?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

What you actually have are Instances of the same Title.

To achieve what you want, you will want create a Duplicate Title, say to be used at the end of the Timeline. This creates a separate Title, but based on the original - same fonts, Styles, etc., but one which can be independently edited.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I avoid duplication in the title?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This article goes into more detail, plus has links to some useful titling articles: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5563721#5563721

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I avoid duplication in the title?
              Tommyvincent Level 1

I see now what I did wrong. I dragged the title from the start of the movie to the end and there changed the text. That changed the text in the start title.

Instead of dragging the title from the movie, I inserted a new title from the Action Bar. Now everything is OK.

• 4. Re: How do I avoid duplication in the title?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

That little behavior has bitten many. The user sees that Title in two places, and assumes that it is two separate Titles. It is not. It is an Instance of one Title.

Now, that behavior can be very useful, under certain circumstances.

An example goes a ways back in cinema, when films were silent with Titles interspersed. In Westerns for the era, one saw Titles, such as "Meanwhile back at the ranch," indicating that action was taking place elsewhere, though at about the same time. Let's say that one created such a Title, but had a typo, "Meanwhile back at the raunch." Let's also say that they used that Title (actually Instances of the one Title), and realized their typo. With one quick edit to the spelling of "ranch," ALL Instances would update. Too bad that the editors in those old Westerns did not use PrE...

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I avoid duplication in the title?
                  Tommyvincent Level 1

Just a comment about titles and subtitles. When I was a kid living in Hollywood I went to many foreign language films - Japanese, Italian, and French. When I thought about those films later, it wasn't the subtitles I was seeing in my mind; it was the voices of the actors speaking in English. In the Columbus, Ohio area where I'm now living, there is only one theater that shows Foreign language films and that's an hour from where I live. Most of the films around where I live are "action" films. Action means killing. By the way, a great film with subtitles is Departures. This Japanese film won the Academy Award in 2008 for the Best Foreign Language Film.