32 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 7:06 AM by jeffs51955710

ICC Profile error

Aiken Graphics Level 1

Hi,

I keep getting this error from inDesign - Version 4 ICC Profiles were converted to version 2 ICC Profiles during PDF Export. Just wondering will this effect my PDF?

Any help would be much appreciated!

• 1. Re: ICC Profile error
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Generally, this conversion should not make any difference.

Very few existing ICC color profiles are anything but version 2 in format. What particular profile(s) were you using?

- Dov

• 2. Re: ICC Profile error
            Aiken Graphics Level 1

I removed the attached colour profiles from my Photoshop files when saving and ran the export again and there were no errors.

• 3. Re: ICC Profile error

No profiles were attached to your last posting. (These forums only allow sysops to do attachments!)

You certainly don't want to lose the profiles' information. The conversion to version 2 is not a problem. But not having a profile at all could be a big problem! 

- Dov

• 4. Re: ICC Profile error
                Aiken Graphics Level 1

Sorry, I didn't attach the profiles to my reply. What I meant to say was I unchecked the "Embed Colour Profiles" in Photoshop. I then placed these files into my inDesign file and exported the PDF. The error did not show.

• 5. Re: ICC Profile error

Understood. But still, the point is that in these workflows, profiles are important. Simply throwing away the profile by not having Photoshop embed the profile (version 4 or otherwise) to get an error message-free PDF export from InDesign can mess up your output. Don't worry about the message! Your PDF file will be fine and possibly much better than without the converted profile!

- Dov

• 6. Re: ICC Profile error
                    Aiken Graphics Level 1

Understood. I'll replace my files and include the colour profile in Photoshop.
                    I am happy to use the PDF once I know the error will not create any problems down the line.

• 7. Re: ICC Profile error
                      gökhany20812670 Level 1

Please try.

Standart profile PDF/X-4:2010    -  Compatibility minimum It must be PDF 1.4.

Ekran Resmi 2017-03-03 10.02.52.png

5 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: ICC Profile error

Irrelevant to original thread!

- Dov

• 9. Re: ICC Profile error
                          tonyd23993142 Level 1

I am getting this error too. No one here has explained how to fix it, just that it isnt dangerous to a pdf. How do I fix the issue?

• 10. Re: ICC Profile error
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No one here has explained how to fix it,

Are you exporting to PDF/X-1a? Try PDF/X-4 and if you need an all CMYK PDF convert to the destination. Does this work for you?

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 10.49.40 AM.png

• 11. Re: ICC Profile error
                              nytwng Level 1

Just got my first such error message. Document was Illustrator, not InDesign, but betting the issue is similar in both.

I only had 2 photos in file, so was easy to test them to alleviate the error code. Changed the images from RGB to CMYK, and it went away.

But honestly, this is something that just popped up, after working in this program for years. So I don't understand why it suddenly reared its head on this little file. Would love to know more.

• 12. Re: ICC Profile error

I think you can safely ignore the warning. What destination profile are you using?

• 13. Re: ICC Profile error
                                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

It's clearly not an error message so why do people keep acting as if it is?

• 14. Re: ICC Profile error
                                    everettc50774507 Level 1

I just got this and it does put a line through the photo image on out put. I took a picture using my iPhone, Placed that straight into Illustrator added some graphics than when saving to a high-quality print I got the error. Indeed there a line over the image. If I used the suggestion above but the same thing with no error. must be an issue with iPhone photos??  

• 15. Re: ICC Profile error

A profile wouldn't do that, but setting the compatibility to Acrobat 4 might because you are flattening transparency. Also it might be the PDF reader. Are you viewing the PDF in Acrobat?

• 16. Re: ICC Profile error
                                        jimmyp37448068 Level 1

I too, received this alert and it affected the print outcome.

When I printed the PDF, the blue background printed over head shot photos but displays normal in PDF.

• 17. Re: ICC Profile error

Sounds more like an overprint or spot color issue when printing to a composite color printer. Is the blue background a spot color?

• 18. Re: ICC Profile error
                                            rayk43 Level 1

it's clearly stating "1 problem was found with a background task." which is clearly one more problem than people want in their files. thanks for the useless non-answer though

• 19. Re: ICC Profile error

I too, received this alert and it affected the print outcome.

When I printed the PDF, the blue background printed over head shot photos but displays normal in PDF.

It could be a coincidence? Are you sure there's not an overprint set somewhere? Can you share the PDF?

• 20. Re: ICC Profile error
                                                hayleys54183080 Level 1

I'm getting this error and it is muting all my beautiful poppy reds into a flat rusty brown-red on export. Something is off here. Nobody has describe what's going on, just saying it's a non-issue. Why is it happening and how to fix it would be a correct answer IMO

• 21. Re: ICC Profile error

This thread is 5 years old, so you might want to start a new question. Or at least show a screen capture showing the error message and the color shifts. Also, tell us what version of ID you are using, along with the color modes and assigned profiles of the affected page items.

• 22. Re: ICC Profile error
                                                    hayleys54183080 Level 1

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 1.17.56 PM.png

PDF left, InDesign right.. CC 2018, never messed with the profiles, but I swapped all my CMYKs to RGBs and tried an RGB blend space. I've only ever used the "High Quality Print" preset and for the printer will add marks and bleeds, so this is very strange to me. I tried as mentioned above with changing the "Standard" drop down to PDF X/4:2010, but still get the same alert and muted colours.

• 23. Re: ICC Profile error

PDF left, InDesign right.. CC 2018, never messed with the profiles, but I swapped all my CMYKs to RGBs and tried an RGB blend space. I've only ever used the "High Quality Print" preset and for the printer will add marks and bleeds, so this is very strange to me.

The issue you are describing is not related to the version 4 ICC profile error described in the original post.

If you are using RGB document colors, you shouldn't use the [High Quality Print] preset. If you do, your RGB document swatches and colors will export with no color profile and the appearance will change depending on where the PDF is viewed.

Also, don't choose the High Quality print preset and change the Standard drop down. Instead choose the the PDF/X-4 preset from the Adobe PDF Preset dropdown.

When you are comparing the InDesign preview to the Acrobat preview you have to watch whether the apps are showing you a CMYK print simulation of your RGB colors. With InDesign, if you have Overprint Preview turned on, the preview of RGB colors is a CMYK soft proof simulation, even when the Transparency Blend space is set to RGB. In Acrobat Reader or AcrobatPro there is a preference for an overprint CMYK simulation under Preferences>Page Display>Use Overprint Preview.

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 24. Re: ICC Profile error
                                                        hayleys54183080 Level 1

I only swapped everything over to rgb cuz I was getting this issue. I'm far from a print production wiz to understand why this ICC 4 > 2 alert is even happening out of the blue. The issue may have been with the linked icons. Two were ai files that I went in and changed them to CMYK spaces, then I made 4 other icons that were png and recreated them in ai under the same colour space. Then just drew one out in InDesign and applied the swatches within. I still get the alert with "High Quality Print" but I turned overrprint preview on, and exported using pdf/x-4 as you suggested, and now there is no error and the colours are more in tune. So this is sort of resolved. I just want to know why I'm having to do this pdf/x-4 work-around now to avoid an alert that apparently doesn't affect anything. Why is it happening then?

• 25. Re: ICC Profile error
                                                          hayleys54183080 Level 1

And thank you ever so much for your time on this. I really appreciate it

• 26. Re: ICC Profile error

So far as I understand it the alert just means what it says. Most apps use the old ICC V2 profiles. Some apps make the new iCC V4 profiles. To keep things working, if you use a new V4 profile it has to be converted, and you get this WARNING (it's not an error). Possibly some colour accuracy is lost. Chances are the V4 profile came with a graphic you used.

• 27. Re: ICC Profile error

I just want to know why I'm having to do this pdf/x-4 work-around now to avoid an alert that apparently doesn't affect anything. Why is it happening then?

Show a screen capture of the error.

The error would only happen if you exported to a CMYK destination where the destination profile is a version 4 profile—something like GRACol Coated 2013. A document has to have a CMYK profile, it's either assigned (Edit>Assign Profiles...), or if there's no profile assigned the Color Settings CMYK profile is used. What profile are you using?

But again, the color shift is unrelated to the profile alert—the error is a coincidence.

The [High Quality Print] preset is somewhat outdated and I would stop using it. It does not include color profiles for either CMYK or RGB native colors, so when you view the PDF in another application the color is randomly assigned a different profile and the appearance can shift. The PDF/X-4 preset solves the problem because all RGB color exports with the correct source color profile, and it includes your document's CMYK profile as the printing intent so the CMYK previews will match

• 28. Re: ICC Profile error

Possibly some colour accuracy is lost

I'm not sure you have to worry about that, at least when you are exporting to a CMYK destination where the profile is version 4.

I've done some number checking comparing conversions done from RGB to GRACol 2013 (which is version 4) inside of Photoshop vs. on export from InDesign and haven't found any differences in the output values. If you were worried about it, you could make all CMYK conversions in Photoshop before placing and export to a PDF/X preset. In that case there would be no conversions during the export, but you would still get the alert because the profile is included as an Output Intent.

• 29. Re: ICC Profile error

You prompted me to look up what is new in ICC V4.  There is talk of some colour conversions being “more consistent”, “higher quality” and “more accurate” at least potentially due to extra info in the profile. Pretty vague of course, and it will depend completely on the colour engine (CMM). High level intro on Why use ICC v4 profiles?

• 30. Re: ICC Profile error

Oh, one more thing: I believe PDF 1.7 is the first to support ICC V4. So if you save down to an older PDF format, new V4 profiles must be converted. This is not a bug, or any kind of error, it’s what you ask for in making PDF Compatible with older software. I am at a loss as to why many people describe this message as an “error” when it isn’t. Is it because it doesn’t include “Warning”?

• 31. Re: ICC Profile error
                                                                      hayleys54183080 Level 1

I did misuse the word error and should have said alert. The word warning would help.. and a link to this thread or an info area on how to correct the issue would save people the confusion on how to prevent the warning from occurring. I had a colour issue built into my situation so I thought it was because of the alert as it was the first time I'd gotten it and my brand reds went off.

• 32. Re: ICC Profile error
                                                                        jeffs51955710 Level 1

I tryed to ignore this message, but my proof color printer (OKI C11) always display "fatal error"and didn't print the job. So, I discovered that one font in my job was corrupted. I replaced that font and this message gone.