5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2018 2:46 PM by psteamscribe

Photoshop CC Text Anti-aliasing problem.

j.quercia

Hey guys, not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem, but today I turned on my machine and starting layout out some type and noticed that it looked alot chunkier than before. I had my anti-aliasing set to Mac LCD, which is usually spot on, but this particular text field looked terrible. I opened an old document and sure enough, I was right, the same type of anti-aliasing looked vastly different, even when both of the typfaces were exactly the same. I've had others open the file on their machines and have gotten the same problem. Now every time I create a new text field, I get chunky, terrible looking anti-aliasing, no matter what font I'm using. The only way I can get good looking type is by copying and pasting from old files. I've included an example file of what I mean. On the left is Trade Gothic, and on the right is Trajan (just to show it's not any particular font). The top versions of the fonts look beautiful clean, and anti-aliased properly. The bottom versions look chunky and blurry. Any help would be much appreciated!

Download the file here: http://cl.ly/3I2L2f163q3z

Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 1.49.12 PM.png

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC Text Anti-aliasing problem.
          thedomovoy85

Im having the same problem with PHOTOSHOP CC!!!!!!!  

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC Text Anti-aliasing problem.
            JWill76 Level 1

Same problem here.

This fixed it for me. Though, only temporarily:

1. Select all layers of your PSD file.

2. Select the type drop down > Anti-Aliasing > None

3. Save your file

4. Quit Photoshop

5.  Re-open the file

6. Select all layers of your PSD again

7. Select the type drop down > Mac LCD (or desired aliasing)

8. Save the file

9. Continue working

This worked the last few times I tried but it is not a permanent solution.

I feel your pain

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Photoshop CC Text Anti-aliasing problem.
              lutze79660581

Sorry for bringing up this old topic, but has anyone ever found a solution to this?

Experiencing the same issue in the latest version of Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC Text Anti-aliasing problem.
                bradb71070702

I having the exact same problem. Suddenly the anti-alias feature no longer works! Certainly Adobe must know something about how to fix this?

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC Text Anti-aliasing problem.
                  psteamscribe Adobe Employee

Folks:

So we've been taking a look at this test file internally. Initially we were quite confused, because we couldn't think of anything that's changed in the anti-aliasing algorithms that would cause the kind of discrepancy you're seeing. But I think we've been able to figure out what the difference is between the top and bottom pieces of text in the file...

Namely, a Transform has, at some point, been applied to the top pieces of text in the file, while the bottom, new pieces are NOT transformed. What do I mean by that?... If you ever hit Ctrl/Cmd + T to Free Transform a Type layer, you're not actually changing the font size directly, you're applying what we call a "transformation matrix" on TOP of the Type layer. The size of the text will change, and you'll see the Font Size update, but really you're just stretching the underlying Type layer via Free Transform. This is how we're able to do things like Rotate and Skew with Free Transform.

Here's how you can see what I'm talking about...

1. Click in either of the top two layers of text in the file.

2. Commit -- via check mark in the Options bar, or by clicking away from the text box. This will ensure that the current Type settings -- from the top layer you just committed -- are persistent.

3. Click elsewhere in the document to create a new Type layer. Start typing.

4. Check the Font Size shown in the Options bar. You should be seeing 20.55 pt.

This implies that the text has, at some point, been transformed. When you strip out the transform and create a new Type layer based on the underlying text, you see the actual underlying specified Font Size.

Try another test... Create a new Type layer -- just click and type. Set it to 16 pt text. Now hit Ctrl/Cmd + T and drag it out bigger (hold down Shift to constrain proportions). You'll see the Font Size change, almost certainly to some decimal value. This is a clue the text has been transformed. At this point, however, you can adjust the Font Size on that transformed text to a full integer value and you've lost your clue that it's ever been transformed. I think that's probably what happened here.

So the subtle differences you're seeing in the anti-aliasing is because, thanks to the Free Transform performed at SOME point in the past, the two pieces of text ARE subtly different. Unfortunately, we don't currently have a good way in the UI to call out the fact that there's a transformation applied. We're actually trying to work on that right now. It's a difficult problem, because we're talking about a very old, very heavily used feature in Photoshop. But we're trying to figure out a way to make it less confusing.

But for now, here's a workaround for you...

If you want the exact same properties as the transformed Type layer in a NEW Type layer...

1. Click on the Type layer in the Layers panel.

2. Ctrl + Click to access the context menu. Choose Duplicate Layer.

3. The anti-aliasing should be the same on the resulting layer.

4. Now change the text as you wish.

Sorry for all the confusion Free Transform is causing with Type layers. Please take a look at your text using the top set of steps to confirm there has been a transform applied. If yes, you can try the workaround above to preserve the anti-aliasing you want on a new Type layer.

Eric Floch

Photoshop Quality Engineering