2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2008 6:50 AM by Newsgroup_User

help please!

olivercraigdesign
      At the moment I am learning Director. I am having a problem with trying to create a small section of a PNG image to use as a navigation button. The section i want as the button is an irregular shape.

Any ideas on how I can overcome this problem?

Thank you
        • 1. Re: help please!
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant
          You will need to cut out this section of the larger image. Make a copy of the png and edit it as needed. Place this new art in a sprite channel on top of the larger image sprite. Set its ink to "matte". Add a behavior as needed.
          • 2. Re: help please!
            Level 7
            olivercraigdesign wrote:

> At the moment I am learning Director. I am having a problem with trying to
            > create a small section of a PNG image to use as a navigation button. The
            > section i want as the button is an irregular shape.
            >
            > Any ideas on how I can overcome this problem?

Hi Oliver,

Just expanding somewhat on what Rob said. As he indicated, you'll need to use
            the Matte ink effect. This is the only ink effect that will allow
            non-rectangular hot spots for bitmap sprites. The Matte ink makes all external
            (non-enclosed) white pixels transparent. If you have a png with soft edges
            (edges are anti-aliased), what you could do is have your png but then have
            another copy of the image, perhaps 1 pixel or shaved off the edges and make
            sure you don't have an anti-aliased edge. If you place this over your png
            sprite, and choose Matte, you'll get the smooth edge from the sprite under.
            Attaching your behavior to the Matte sprite will mean that it defines the
            outline of the clickable / interactive area.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au