Premiere n my Macbook Pro

AirFoxMedia

Hi, I am using:

Premiere CS6

macbook pro '09

OS10.6.8

8 Gb Ram

2.53Ghz Intel 2 Duo

I am getting serious lag, The job and file sizes are large, but i am inquiring: Is there anyway to pump up my system, will more RAM help in this case, etc?

Should scratch disc settings be set to a sperate disc than media file storage?

Suppose I could transcode all the media to small proxy files. dont really want to do that.

thanks!

A

• 1. Re: Premiere n my Macbook Pro
          Sanders29

A few of the tutorials I watched suggested getting a GPU or graphics card to help speed up processing. Especially if you are working with HD. I am very new to Premiere myself so I don't know much myself but I thought I'd pass that along.

• 2. Re: Premiere n my Macbook Pro
            AirFoxMedia Level 1

can i get a new graphics card for my laptop? A GPU, is that a piece of equipment that plugs in thru the firewire and you run premire trhu that?? hmm...

• 3. Re: Premiere n my Macbook Pro
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are editing HD, I think you are under powered in at least 2 areas (maybe 3) with only 8Gig of ram and only a dual core CPU... the 3rd "maybe" is number and speed of hard drives... speed is 5400rpm -vs- 7200rpm

I think these are about Windows, but some laptop discussions

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4717373

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

A GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) is usually built-in for a laptop... but, does yours allow adding/changing the GPU?

• 4. Re: Premiere n my Macbook Pro
                jasonvp Level 3

AirFoxMedia wrote:

Hi, I am using:

Premiere CS6

macbook pro '09

I am getting serious lag, The job and file sizes are large, but i am inquiring: Is there anyway to pump up my system, will more RAM help in this case, etc?

What kind of media are you editing?

Unfortunately, your MBP is highly underpowered for the task at hand, and its upgrade path is nearly nil.  You can't add any more RAM to it, as far as I know.  The GPU only has .5G of RAM at most and is a fairly underpowered nVidia 8600M.  There's nothing you can do to change that.

Extra storage may help.  The problem is: you don't have much in the way of useful expansion ports on the laptop.  USB 2, FW800, and an ExpressCard3/4 slot.  The ExpressCard slot could give you eSATA expansion capabilities, but unfortunately I don't think it's v2.0, meaning it's slower(!) than USB.

I'd recommend saving your sheckles and going after a newer rig.  I know it's a lot to consider, but your laptop is a little over 4 years old now, and that's a good run for something like that.

• 5. Re: Premiere n my Macbook Pro
                  AirFoxMedia Level 1

do u know if i can upgrade my ram on this machine? its a 15" model identifier: 5,4

• 6. Re: Premiere n my Macbook Pro
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a Mac, you might want to contact Apple to find out technical specifications