6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2013 4:11 AM by JoaoCP

Can you export plugins in Indesign CS6?

Church Agency

I have supplied an InDesign CS6 file to a colleague, when he tries to open it it asks for 4 missing plugins? Does anybody know a solution to this?
      Do I need to 'export' the plugins, if so does anybody know how to do this?

• 1. Re: Can you export plugins in Indesign CS6?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yo cannot export the plugins, you must export the file -- to .idml. The .idml can be opened in any version from CS4 onward, but don't expect an exact match in earlier versions than CS6. Any features you used that are not supported in the earlier version will be ignored and lost, and differences in the text engins from version to version may cause text to reflow.

This is not a great method for collaboration. What is the aim for giving the file to your colleague? Do they need to edit?

• 2. Re: Can you export plugins in Indesign CS6?
            Church Agency Level 1

Hi Peter

Yes my colleague needs to edit the layout etc.

I am just figuring out what version of InDesign he is using? I also think he is on a PC not a Mac.

I am going to back save and see how he gets on.

Thank you for your input.

Kind regards

Mandy

• 3. Re: Can you export plugins in Indesign CS6?

Mandy,

Please delete your auto signature when you reply by email. All reponses are posted to the web.

Aside from the potential problems noted above, there may be font issues when switching from Mac to PC. The safest bet is to confine yourselves to OpenType fonts, or if you  cannot do that, Windows TrueType fonts are also cross-platform. Mac .dfonts and old format TT and T1 fonts are not usable on PC.

• 4. Re: Can you export plugins in Indesign CS6?
                JoaoCP Level 2

Peter Spier wrote:

This is not a great method for collaboration. What is the aim for giving the file to your colleague? Do they need to edit?

Just out of curiosity, Peter: why isn't this a great method for collaboration? It's a sincere question, since I've been doing this all my life.

• 5. Re: Can you export plugins in Indesign CS6?

Moving files back and forth between versions can have problems with dropped features and text reflow. What one user sees in version A is not necessarily what another user sees in version B. The differnces can be subtle, or disastrous, like page endings that are diffeerent in long docs that can result in overset text or text moving to the wrong page. If the last person to edit has final approval it can work OK, if you're careful, but it's much better if everyone is on the same version.

• 6. Re: Can you export plugins in Indesign CS6?
                    JoaoCP Level 2

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

I thought you were referring to common exchange of ID files between collaborators. I didn't realize that, in your answer to the original poster, you were referring to ID files of different versions. My apologies.