6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 3:13 PM by Dragonspear

Synchronization of multiple clips from two cameras using TIMECODE

kalmargyula

Hi there and greetings everyone,

I'm new to the adobe forum, but I'm quite familiar with premiere pro and generally with filming and editing.

My question is simple, yet complicated:

I have 2x 5D mark III synched via timecode to the second and I have an event of about 30 minutes, where each camera recorded individual clips in an alternating way (so there are gaps between clips from the same camera, but almost 100% coverage with the 2 cameras together - we used this method for a more creative / interesting end result)

HOW DO I import the clips from the 2 cameras in such a way that there will be two different video tracks (so for exemple track 1 for cam 1 and track 2 for cam 2) yet I will be able to sync them via timecode in my timeline ?

Aditional info:

- the only thing I managed was to select all the clips, create a multi-camera sequence and open that in a timeline format (everything is synced up, but each individual clip is on a different track, so I have 61 video layers basically instead of 2)

I've asked lots of people, red tens of topics, watched lots of tutorial videos, none seemed to answare my question

- I know there is the Multi Camera Monitor, but that option is designe for editing and synching clips when there is 1 long clip / camera, and where you actually watch the entire recording and do the editing real time, which is not my case.

- Some sugested me to use plural eyes, but I don't see any point in using andio based synchronization if I have excelent timecode.

- I also need it done the way I described because for me it;s more manageble that way, I can edit it faster, and I already know what to look for, so it;s again nonesence to use the multicam feature.

The bottom line is that I am looking for something similar to pluraleyes (when you import everything in one timeline) and use the audio info to sync it, but in this case I would use the embeded timecode.

I've red a post where someone mentioned that in other editors its just select all / sync / done, so I can't believe it;s that complicated in Premiere.

foto1.jpgfoto2.jpg

• 1. Re: Synchronization of multiple clips from two cameras using TIMECODE
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't do what you want here, at least not automatically.  PP assumes every clip is a new angle, and will put it on a new track.

To get the proper setup, you'll have to add the clips from each camera to their own track and sync them all up manually.  Since you can change the sequence timecode to match that of the first clip, it shouldn't be to difficult.

The larger lesson here is that when shooting multicam, leave all cameras running until you're done (and it's corollary, don't use DSLRs that can't record long clips for multicam event work ).

• 2. Re: Synchronization of multiple clips from two cameras using TIMECODE
            kalmargyula Level 1

I simply can't believe such a complex software can't do something simple as that.

I understand your point on DSLR and thanks for the suggestion, but in your oppinion:

- what's the point in having embeded timecode on camcorder or DSLR when a: if you have lots of clips you still need to sync them manually ? b: if you have 3x1 clips from 3 cameras, it's childs play to sync the up manually anyways.

- whats the point in keeping all cameras running, even if you start walking with your monopods and youll throw away those secs / mins of film anyway when you have timecode, which was designed for easy automatic positioning of any clip ?

ps. whatch this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frWyoho_SQk

and pay attention to section 1:10 to 1:20

I guess it is exactly what I am talking about

• 3. Re: Synchronization of multiple clips from two cameras using TIMECODE
              Martin Douglas Level 2

I Had one of these the other day where I ended up with 100plus layers.

What I did was use the tilde key to get the timeline fullscreen then dragged each individual clip that was visible down to layer 2. Then do a delete all empty tracks, which makes the next 10 or so layers with clips visible and repeat till finished. Took about 10 to 15 mins and a sore mouse hand.

Martin

• 4. Re: Synchronization of multiple clips from two cameras using TIMECODE
                kalmargyula Level 1

Hi Martin, thanks for the feedback and the idea.

• 5. Re: Synchronization of multiple clips from two cameras using TIMECODE
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

- whats the point in keeping all cameras running, even if you start walking with your monopods and youll throw away those secs / mins of film anyway

The point is to sync only once.

Free Run timecode won't guarantee a sync between cameras.  They need to be physically connected and genlocked to get that.  I'm not aware of any DSLRs that can do that.

• 6. Re: Synchronization of multiple clips from two cameras using TIMECODE
                    Dragonspear Level 1

There are currently better sync features in the works!

I know your frustration. For a similar and more in-depth discussion, see another thread I posted in here: Batch syncing audio and video using timecode

Unfortunately in CS6 (what I currently use)  it creates a separate track for each clip, which can be a mess if you have hundreds of clips. The best way I have found to make things easier is to create a separate TC synced multi-cam sequence for each individual cameras footage.  For example, I follow the same steps you did for each of my cameras footage independently so that I have a TC synced sequence for camera A, a TC sequence for camera B, etc. Then you can select all the footage of each sequence, nest it, and copy each nest into a master sequence to work with. What you end up with is a single clip for each camera. MUCH easier to work with!  To keep track of where clips start and/or end in the nested sequences you can go into your original sequence and place a marker (shortcut "M") at each clip. These markers then show up in your Mastertimeline clips for reference.

I know things could be easier, but this is currently the best option I know of. I already put in a feature request and was told by the Engineering Manager of Premiere Pro that new sync features were in the works. (see thread link above)

Hope that helps!

...and for the record, here is my TC sync process:

1. SELECT ALL clips you wish to sync from your Project Tab/Window.
                    2. RIGHT-CLICK and SELECT "Create Multi-camera Source Sequence..." In CS6 it is the next-to-last option in your popup window.
                    3. A dialogue box will appear. For the Synchronize Point, SELECT the box that says "Timecode" and UN-CHECK "Ignore Hours"
                    4. You will now see a new multi-cam sequence in your Project Tab/Window.
                    5. RIGHT-CLICKyour new multi-cam sequence and SELECT "Open in Timeline"