4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 4:09 PM by SurJones

2013 Pilot 3rd Window Graphics Set Up

SurJones

Sup Sup,

New one for me. And this is a personal project. I want to set up my 2013 Pilot with windows graphic that you can see out of from the inside. Anyways. I cant find exact dimensions to the windows, and it's angled and rounded cornered and I need help figuring out a way to make a template I can use for my window design in the future, I will also need to do the rear hatch window as well... Anyone does this before?

• 1. Re: 2013 Pilot 3rd Window Graphics Set Up
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I haven't got a clue what you are talking about, but it sounds interesting.  Would you mind expanding on what a 2013 Pilot is, and more information about your project?

• 2. Re: 2013 Pilot 3rd Window Graphics Set Up
            SurJones Level 1

It's a SUV from Honda. Never heard of a Pilot?  The 3rd window is the 3rd window counting back from the driver or passenger side.  Window Graphics are usually a vinyl material that sticks the the window. In this case it's a comprised up of small holes so you can still see out of it from the inside. But looks like a solid graphic from the outside.

• 3. Re: 2013 Pilot 3rd Window Graphics Set Up
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

SurJones wrote:

It's a SUV from Honda. Never heard of a Pilot? 

This may come as a suprise, but there's a whole big world outside of North America, and believe it or not, they don't sell Honda SUVs there.

So take a photograph from very square on to the side of your SUV - preferably using a longish focal length to avoid distortion - and use the width across its centre  (Whoops) center line to set the image size.  There's every chance you won't manage to take the photograph perfectly perpendicular to the side window, because it angles in towards the top, so you'll probably need to stretch your template vertically to correct the aspect ratio.  I would expect to produce a template accurate to 5mm (did it again ) 1/4 inch using this method, but remember to stand back and zoom in to prevent barrel distortion.

• 4. Re: 2013 Pilot 3rd Window Graphics Set Up
                SurJones Level 1

So I went to a company which does vehicle wraps. they actually had this HUGE book of templates - They sent me the .ai file  (which is a 1/20th scale) - I selected the the window I wanged to design, and then copied, switched over to photoshop, pasted as a Path, but was having issue with it not not attching to a layer, so I re-pasted and made it a smart object. (first option) and then CMD+T lock the demensions and increase to 2,000 percent.  I used the MagicWand and selected in the inside of the area, and Deleted the inner fill leaving on the stroke. then designed using that as my grid.

Came out pretty well!