5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 4:02 AM by Ann Bens

Aspect Ratios and Video Distortion

swilliams1027

I am trying to take a video that was recorded at 1440x1080 and shrink it down to 192x144. When I currently do that, it extremely distorts the video. How do I avoid this?

• 1. Re: Aspect Ratios and Video Distortion
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1440x1080 has a PAR of 1,33. The 192x144 should also be set at a PAR of 1,33.

This 192x144 is way small, you wont have any watchable file left.

• 2. Re: Aspect Ratios and Video Distortion
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I suggest that you export to 256X144 using square (1.0) pixels. It will play properly on more players.

But why so small? It is 2013, not 2003.

• 3. Re: Aspect Ratios and Video Distortion
              swilliams1027 Level 1

I work in an athletic department and we are trying to put video up on our matrix board attached to our scoreboard. Currently we put stills up on it and we are trying to branch out to video. The dimensions of our stills on it are 192x64 so we were trying to format the video to near the same size. I would much rather prefer that we could use the bigger size, but the board isn't formatted for that.

• 4. Re: Aspect Ratios and Video Distortion
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK. Got it.

What I would do if I were you is create a sequence at that size, 192X64.

Bring your footage in and scale it down to fit in that little space. You might find that you pan around the larger frame instead of scaling it all the way down. For example, if you scaled it way down to about four times the size, you could show 1/4 of the frame, then another 1/4, then another, etc. Or, you could focus on the very best part of each frame. Kind of like zooming way in.

In this way, you will know exactly what it will look like upon export to 192X64.

This first image is actually a frame from a 1920X1080 video scaled down to fit the forum software requirements, The second image is what might look good on the matrix board.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Now, it doesn't look bad on my monitor, but how it will look on the scoreboard is something you will have to decide.

Keep in mind that with a ratio of 3 to 1, you really want to shoot your video very carefully to make the interesting parts a lot wider than they are tall. Shooting basketball players.... Well.... They better be laying on the court.

• 5. Re: Aspect Ratios and Video Distortion
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you follow my instructions you will be fine: no distortions.