10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 7:47 PM by JWB1967

Software and Hardware questions

JWB1967

I've decided to get back to editing years of video footage that I've taken over the years on various camcorders, the most recent being a Sony HD model. I gave up before because I was trying to run PE 7 on an old pc. So now I'm going to upgrade both my hardware and software.

My first question concerns the software. Premiere Elements should cover basic editing, sound overlay, titles, and making DVD's of the final product, correct? Even with HD video?

My second question concerns the hardware, but before I post my potential build out, is there a better forum that I should be posting this in? I didn't see a hardware forum for PE.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Software and Hardware questions
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Help-and-Tutorials page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 will give you a lot of advance information

Premiere Elements will do everything you mention... editing HD will also work... better if you have a fast computer

One idea for that computer would be the PC I built for my wife http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

I installed 32Gig of ram because she has a LOT of programs open at the same time... 16Gig would be a good place to start

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Software and Hardware questions
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, PrE 11 is current, but PrE 12 should be released within the next two months, if history is an indicator. PrE 11 will do what you want, but it's interface is a bit of a departure, from what you knew in PrE 7. Some like the new streamlined interface, but it does take a bit of getting used to, if one has used previous versions of the program. We will not what changes are in PrE 12, for a bit now. I am sure that there are some reports being written, as I type, but those will not be available, until the official release of the new version.

As for the hardware end of things, this forum should be very good for that. There is an Adobe Premiere Hardware Forums, but it is primarily for Premiere Pro, and it has some different hardware considerations. Also, most of the regulars there, are used to building very high-end, workstations for professional video editing. While their recs. are sound, they are often overkill for PrE users, who are more often hobbyists, and not professional editors, with deep pockets. Still, for some great technical discussions, do drop by that forum, and have a good read - just plan on interpolating some of those posts for a hobbyists machine: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=discussions If you wish to go to RAID, for instance, then DO drop by that forum, and look for posts from Harm Millaard, or Bill G., as they cover RAID from top to bottom.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Software and Hardware questions
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JWB1967

Just a quick comment. Please consider the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements before any purchases to make sure that it is compatible with your computer environment and video editing/exporting goals.

With a new version due out soon, some purchasing strategy needs to be considered if the purchase option seems a likely one.

There has been a major change in Premiere Elements 11 (current version) interface as compare to versions earlier than it. The principles are essentially the same but features have been relocated, or discontinued.

ATR

• 4. Re: Software and Hardware questions
                JWB1967 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll definitely check out the links and try the free download once I get the machine built. Since there isn't a hardware forum for PrE, I'll ask here.

I guess I'll start our by asking about the CPU. Is an i7-3770 sufficient, or should I go with something like a i7-3930? And how about memory? 8 GB? 16? 32?

• 5. Re: Software and Hardware questions
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The i7 3770 should be adequate, however, if one is editing any H.264 material, every bit of CPU power will be noticed, though perhaps not enough to get one's "bang for the buck."

As for the RAM, with a 64-bit OS, 8GB is about the minimum, that I would recommend, with 16GB being just fine. While I went with 32GB, since I use PrPro, and do very large Images in Photoshop, 16GB should be just fine.

Now, I do recommend at least a 2x HDD (or SSD) I/O setup, with a 3x being even better. Were I building, I would probably look to a larger SSD for the system drive, then 2x large, SATA III HDD's for the rest of the I/O.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Software and Hardware questions
                    JWB1967 Level 1

I'll stick with the 3770 and 16 GB of RAM for now. Speaking of RAM, do I need to worry much about speed? Will DDR3-1600 be ok or should I look at 1866 or 2133? I've read a few articles that say the speed benefit is negligible.

For storage, I was looking at a possible 3 or 4 drive setup, with the C drive being an SSD.

• 7. Re: Software and Hardware questions
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I would go with the best MoBo possible, and then let that dictate the speed of the RAM. While faster is, well faster, with 16GB, I doubt that you could really tell the difference in real-world work. One could benchmark it, but that would not directly apply to what you would take notice of.

That I/O sounds perfect. For HDD's, make sure to go with at least 7200 RPM units.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Software and Hardware questions
                        JWB1967 Level 1

Yeah, I've been looking at MoBo's, but everytime I think I've found a good one, the reviews I read on it tear it apart. I'm thinking you just can't make everyone happy with MoBo's, or anything for that matter.

• 9. Re: Software and Hardware questions
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have used Intel and Asus, with equally good results... buy either according to the total feature set... number of drive connections, etc

The computer I linked to back in my reply #1 that I built for my wife has been rock solid for her, with an Intel motherboard... she does medium to high end CAD (currently designing our next house) so it would do very well for Premiere Elements

My computer that I built 3+ years ago http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 with Asus for Premiere Pro is also rock solid (of course, mine uses a different CPU)

• 10. Re: Software and Hardware questions
                            JWB1967 Level 1

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback so far. I think I've figured out what I'll be going with that fits in my budget. It actually went over by a few bucks, but close enough.

CPU:                 Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler:      Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard:    Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory:            Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:           1    Corsair Force Series GS 180GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

2    Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

3    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

4    Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card:       EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card

Case:                 Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply:    EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive:     LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

My first question is do I really need an after market CPU cooler if I'm not going to be over clocking? Or can I stick with the one that comes with the CPU?

Second, is my power supply over kill? The website that I used to create this build shows it using around 400W but I'd like to have some extra wattage in case I add a second video card or more memory down the road.

Here is how I plan to use the hard drives. I found a chart online somewhere that showed the best way to configure your drives with your editing software, sorted by the # of drives that will be used.

Drive 1 - OS, Programs, Pagefile

Drive 2 - Media, Projects

Drive 3 - Media Cache

Drive 4 - Previews, Exports

Does this drive layout look ok?

Thanks again!