11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 7:51 AM by A.T. Romano

Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through

BabushkaBabs

Hi guys,

I am currently editing videos from my Canon SLR with Adobe Premiere Elements (Windows).

In the same project, I have only uploaded videos taken the same day with the same equipment. I have been able to process them all normally apart from one. For some reason, when I play this file with a basic video player, everything works fine but when I import it in the Adobe software and play it either through the small window or in the timeline, I have the same problem:

Everything works fine (audio and video in sync), until it reaches a specific point (totally random as far as I can tell) when the video keeps going but suddenly the sound repeats itself from the beginning of the file (and the audio which would correspond to the video is replaced by it). For you to understand better the problem:

Video:   ABCDEF

Audio:   ABCABC

I have tried opening it in a different project and somehow it happens exactly at the same point.

I am totally clueless of what it comes from and getting really frustrated!

Any idea?
      Cheers

Babs

• 1. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Babs,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for articles on how to do things.

I will Move your post to the main PrE Forum, where you will get help quickly.

In the meantime, can you please let us know which version of PrE, you are using, and your OS?

Then, can you tell us the full specs. of that footage from your Canon DSLR?

Last, please let us know what your Project's settings are.

Thank you, and good luck,

Hunt

[Move to Premiere Elements Forum]

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
            BabushkaBabs Level 1

Thanks Bill!

Here are some infos (I am really bad with IT stuff so I am just putting here any info I have found hoping the ones you need will be in it. Please don't laugh if I am putting totally unnecessary details as well ;-) ).

File settings:

.MOV                          VIDEO: Frame width/height = 1920/1088                      AUDIO: bitrate: 1537kbps

12 min                                     Frame rate: 29f/sec                                                      stereo

3.98GB                                                                                                                          48KHz

Software:

Adobe Premiere Elements 10

Project Settings:
            Display formats: 30fps Drop frame timecode

Sample rate 48000Hz

Capture format: DV

Is this what you needed? Cheers

• 3. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Babs

Answers are in details. Thanks for the follow up with the additional information.

First thing I want to do it to determine if you have set up the Premiere Elements 10 correctly for your source media.

You say that the source is a .mov file with frame size 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 frames per second.

What then did you set as the project preset when you opened the new project and were faced with the new project dialog?

a. NTSC DV Widescreen

b. NTSC AVCHD AVCHD HD1080i30

c. NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30

From what you see of your .mov file, do you know if it represents interlaced or progressive footage...do you see your camera setting saying 1080i or 1080p?

You say that your computer operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate. Can you confirm if the is a 32 bit or 64 bit computer operating system. That detail defines computer resources available to the application. More on that other time. Right now I want to make sure that the project is set up correctly for what you are importing and putting on the Timeline.

After the importing/editing details are worked through, how do you intend to export your Timeline?

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                BabushkaBabs Level 1

Wow it is getting harder and harder! I wish I were smarter!

I never change any setting on anything since I don't know what they do and so when I open a new project, the default settings are:
                "DSLR-1080p-DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97" so it looks like it is option c from your list.

I can't see any letter after 1080 on the camera settings.

The OS is a 64bit one

I intend to import it through Youtube (using the software option. I have done it before and it worked so I tend to do things the way they worked previously. Which is also why I don't understand why there is a problem since I haven't changed a thing and everything usually works fine!).

• 5. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                  BabushkaBabs Level 1

I have researched my camera (the exact model) and in the descritpion it says:

"Boastin Canon's EOS 1080p full HD video capture"

So I guess my file is in progressive...

• 6. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Babs

You are doing great.

If you have 1080p footage, the Premiere Elements 10 project preset should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

If that is what you have, that is good. And, if you have Windows 7 64 bit, that is great since you then have Premiere Elements 10 as a 64 bit application which means that it can take advantage of the additional resources offered by a 64 bit computer system. That means you will get larger projects taken to a successful completion than you would otherwise.

The good news and bad news is...the project seems set up OK but we have not ruled in an answer for your issue yet.

When you have your video on the Timeline, do you see a red line over the Timeline content? When you are playing back your Timeline in the monitor, is there that red line over the content that you are playing back? If so, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard, wait for the "rendering" process to complete (line turns green), and then check out the playback quality, video and audio wise. This rendering the Timeline gives you the best possible preview of what you have on the Timeline. (The red line means, needs rendering; the green line, means you have the best possible preview.) Green lines are not forever. Once you edit, back with the red with all its implications, that is, the program telling you that you do not have the best possible preview. There is a way to "render" selectively rather than everything. More on that later. Lets us see if this rendering of the Timeline to get the best possible preview gets us anywhere.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting. I will check your thread in the morning for later developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                      JoelDB

Hello, I'm new to using forums like this.  Is it appropriate for me to post that I'm having the same issue?  Also sounds similar to Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through as well.

My situation is:

Win7 64-bit, i7 920, 2.67GHz, 8GB RAM

Multiple Nikon D7000 video clips I've taken play back fine except for the following clip.  In Windows Media Viewer, I have no problem, but in PE10, in the timeline editor, this clip repeats the audio from the beginning starting about 6 minutes into the video.  I have Quicktime version 7.7.5 installed which I noticed was mentioned as a possible culprit in the other thread.

I've been using my camera primarily for stills, but decided to have my mom tell her story before she wasn't able to.  I'm so frustrated with this problem because I know the audio is just fine since I can play it back synchronized throughout the entire clip in WMV.  I've tried cleaning out PE caches as best I can figure them out and created new projects without any better luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm open to getting a new version of PE or another program if I could believe that I wouldn't run into this issue again.  This seems like such a vanilla problem since all my other clips seem to be fine and this one does too on WMV.

Thanks for any help you can provide.  I don't really know where else to go to figure this out.

Joel

My Premier Elements Project settings are:

Editing Mode: DSLR

Timebase: 23.976frames/sec

Video:

Framesize: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Display Format: 24fps Timecode

Audio:

Sampe Rate: 48000 Hz

Output from MediaInfo

General
                      Complete name                            : Z:\NikonVideo\MomsStory\JDB_20140702_6537.MOV
                      Format                                   : MPEG-4
                      Format profile                           : QuickTime
                      Codec ID                                 : qt 
                      File size                                : 1.46 GiB
                      Duration                                 : 10mn 32s
                      Overall bit rate                         : 19.8 Mbps
                      Encoded date                             : UTC 2014-07-02 18:22:46
                      Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-07-15 03:24:05
                      NCDT                                     : NCTG

Video
                      ID                                       : 1
                      Format                                   : AVC
                      Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
                      Format profile                           : High@L4.0
                      Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
                      Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
                      Codec ID                                 : avc1
                      Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
                      Bit rate                                 : 18.3 Mbps
                      Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
                      Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
                      Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
                      Frame rate mode                          : Constant
                      Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
                      Color space                              : YUV
                      Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
                      Bit depth                                : 8 bits
                      Scan type                                : Progressive
                      Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.368
                      Stream size                              : 1.35 GiB (92%)
                      Language                                 : English
                      Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-07-02 18:22:46
                      Transfer characteristics                 : BT.470 System M
                      Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601

Audio
                      ID                                       : 2
                      Format                                   : PCM
                      Format settings, Endianness              : Little
                      Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
                      Codec ID                                 : sowt
                      Bit rate mode                            : Constant
                      Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps
                      Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
                      Channel positions                        : Front: L R
                      Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
                      Bit depth                                : 16 bits
                      Stream size                              : 116 MiB (8%)
                      Language                                 : English
                      Tagged date                              : UTC 2014-07-02 18:22:46

• 8. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                        JoelDB Level 1

Well, these things often happen this way for me.  Just after I posted this, I stumbled across a menu that showed me the real location of the caches.  I cleared out the old files that were reasonably new and close to the dates I've been working on.  The audio is synchronized now!!

Hopefully someone else stumbling across this thread will find this useful.  I found the locations pointed to in the Edit->Preferences->Scratch Disks... menu.  I cleared out the Media Cache files that were possible candidates.

• 9. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

JoelDB

Thanks for the good news that you resolved your own issue by cleaning out the conformed audio in the Media Cache Files Folder in its default location

Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk. Good job. After you do that, the program generates a new conformed audio file when and if the program decides it needs it.

Remote - Curiosity questions..

1. When you were playing back the Timeline content and getting the audio repeat, was there a red line of that Timeline content?

2. Interesting that both you and the Premiere Elements user who originated this thread were using Premiere Elements 10.

Out of curiosity I would ask "What video card/graphics card does your computer use?"

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                            JoelDB Level 1

Hello AT,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Yes, I did have the red line on the timeline.

My display card (shown in Device Manager) is an ATI Radeon HD 4650.  The computer I now realize is over 4 years old, but still holding up pretty well.  An SSD sure helps a lot!

• 11. Re: Audio doesn't match video because repeated half way through
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

JoelDB

Thanks for the follow up information.

That is good background information to have to focus in on and deal with these mysterious audio looping/repeating issues.

Best wishes

ATR