1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 10:56 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?

Ben_McPhee

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new monitor, primarily for stills editing, but I want to make sure it's not just capable of, but GOOD for video editing/grading too (I'm new to it, but definitely plan to do a lot of it).

I'm looking at either an NEC or EIZO Monitor - 27" (Maybe 24"), but I haven't decided which one yet. This is primarily because they are the best screens for stills. If that doesn't hold true for video, please let me know what other brands/models I should look at.

Are there any differences between a good stills and a good video editing screen? What should I be on the lookout for?

I'm guessing response time would be one factor? The monitors I'm looking at seem to be about 6ms, although some are at around 8ms. (But I know there are 2ms monitors out there). Is that a major concern?

Anything else?

Cheers!

Ben

• 1. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The differences have to do with color range and color space. Those 2 would be fine for video and still work. The Dell Ultrasharp series would be another option.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
            Jack Banatoni Level 1

I'll second ECBowen's comment.  I used NEC monitors for a few years.  Loved them, but when it came time to buy another set I gave the Dell Ultrasharp series a try.  They've been great, both the 23" and 24" varieties.  Though, I notice the 23" shows hashmarks in certain lighting conditions on light colors that aren't as noticeable on the 24".  Not a huge deal to me, though.

Be sure you're comfortable working on a huge 27" screen if you go that route.  It took me a while to get used to dual 24" monitors.

You may also want to consider getting a color calibration tool with your monitors.

• 3. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I would not normally wake up an older thread like this, but it is pretty close to the info I need.

I am going to buy two new monitors and give my old, inexpensive, LG monitors to my wife.

The Dell Ultra Sharp series has a stand for two monitors, and since Eric says that series is a viable option, that helps.

The 23" is 1920X1080 and the 24" is $140 more for the pair and is 1920X1200.

I am used to making my second screen a full screen monitor for Premiere Pro. What happens if I do that with a 1920X1200 screen. Does it handle the ratio properly and just letterbox it, so to speak?

The monitors I have are 24" so I am used to that size. I can justify going to 23" if it makes it easier to use and saves money.

However, with 24" it will be ever so slightly better for working with Photoshop.

Speaking of Photoshop, what calibration tool is the best bang for the buck to keep these things calibrated properly? I really want to have well calibrated monitors.

• 4. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?

The 16:10 shouldn't be an issue for scaling. Either should be fine however the 24 will be better for PS. The Spyder series is the colorimeter most photography people use. The X-Rite would be the standard Colorimeter that I believe NEC uses as well with their monitors.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

So the Spyder and the Dell monitors work well together?

If so, I suppose I might as well spend the money and get the 24".

Any larger than that and it gets a little crowded in here.

Is there any reason to go with thye Elite or the Pro over the Express? (Not counting the ability to calibrate other devices.)

• 6. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?

Get the Elite. Your not just working Photography.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                      Jack Banatoni Level 1

Just double checked for you.  1920x1080 footage simply letterboxes on the 24" screen in Premiere Pro CC.

I bounce back and forth between my workstations with the 23" and the 24" monitors throughout the day.  For most needs the 23" is fine, though I do prefer the 24".  Might not be worth the price difference for everyone.  I keep one monitor horizontal and one vertical... the extra bit of space on the 24" comes in handy for the vertical monitor.  Not sure I'd miss it much if I kept them both horizontal.

I calibrate with a Colormunki Display.  I've had the 24" Ultra Sharp monitors almost a year and still enjoy them.  No issues.

jb

• 8. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                        naumen Level 1

dont forget that u need a 10 bit card if u want to get 10 bit image out of your 10 bit monitor!

• 9. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I don't know if I should even be concerned with 10 bit at my current stage of development. I have the GTX 670 which has been just fine.

I could always buy a new card and stick the GTX 670 in a new PC for my wife, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. I might be wrong. If so, ignorance is bliss.

Right now, all I want is to have my video look right when played on a professional studio monitor - or as close as I can get with the money I am willing to spend. And I want my photographs to come off of a professional printer looking just like they did on my monitor. Or, once again, as close as possible.

• 10. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jack,

Thanks for checking. That verifies what I thought "should" happen, but it is nice to know for sure.

• 11. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Your not just working Photography.

That's correct. I am not.

So, as in the past, I will rely on your good judgement.

Thanks!

(Just for the record, Eric built my PC.)

• 12. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                heavow

agreed,The Dell Ultrasharp will meet your demand.LOL

• 13. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Just thought I should stop back by and mention that I just ordered a pair of the 24" Dell Ultrasharp and I splurged on the single stand to hold them. I am a little tired of trying to line up two monitors when a single stand will do the job better.

The next purchase is the Spyder. I just need a day or two to get over the pain of the huge expense.

• 14. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                    SebastiaanFP Level 1

Steven,

I would really like to hear from you some more details after you have been working with them plus your calibration device. If after some time you would wake up this thread again to report your findings, I would like your follow up on this.

I myself have the X-Rite i1Display Pro, but I am in no position to judge its workings, because I am really new to this field, and only have two old monitors right now: 2 x HP ZR24w, and a wacom Cintiq 24HD, on which I am using the Xrite calibrator. But all these 3 monitors are not so good for color accuracy as far as I know, so I also like to buy some new monitors (the Wacom Cintiq I do not use for color accuracy, but as a drawing / input device for my editing, and for this usage it is really brilliant, I really love it).

• 15. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I will be sure to come back and brag, oops, I mean report my results.

I decided a while back to just trust Eric's judgement on stuff I know little about, so I will probably order the Syder Elite. I just don't really see the advantages for me personally of the Elite over the Pro. Yet I would hate to not have something it turns out I needed after all.

So, what the heck? Might as well. It's only money.

I am getting closer to wanting to have my photos professionally printed. The only ones I have had printed so far were for the people I was shooting. I have yet to shoot something so good I just had to put it on my wall. Yet.

• 16. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?

http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4elite/

Look at product comparison.

Elite has open calibration options to calibrate as needed.

Eric

ADK

• 17. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Eric,

I did read it. I just didn't understand it.

The features that the Elite has over the Pro are software features that I don't know anything about.

However, I don't want to get put in a spot that some printer tells me all I have to do to get to exactly where I want to be is do A, B and C, and it turns out that I don't have C.

Will I need Gamma Curve editing? Or the Curves import function? Or the Precise Light function?

If there is even a small chance, then I will spend the extra money and feel like I am fully covered.

• 18. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                            SebastiaanFP Level 1

Steven,

Exactly which 24inch Dell ULtrasharp did you buy? I found at least 4 models for sale right now, all 24 inch, quite different prices. The Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q seems to be the best one?

Goedkoopste Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q Zwart

Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q

Greetz Sebastiaan.

• 19. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q seems to be the best one?

LOL.

Yes, I imagine that is the best. But I am old enough that I can remember when a brand new car off of the showroom floor cost less than a pair of those monitors.

And I don't know that cramming that many pixels into a 24" monitor would be advantageous. I don't know that my eyes can even resolve anything that fine.

I bought a pair of the 24" 1020X1280 monitors. U2412M

• 20. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                SebastiaanFP Level 1

Damn....! Thats really ...... ehh ... old!! LOL!

Thanks for clarifying Steven, and the good link with the monitor specs, till later and greetz.

You see how I spell `Greetz` ending with  -z, trying to make me look young! But I cannot remember cars at these price ranges....

• 21. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

First, the resolution is 1920X1200 (not 1280).

Second, I remember when a brand new Vokswagen bug was $1995.00

Third, thank you for posting. While retrieving the link to show you what I bought, I saw that the price had been reduced by $60.82 each. So at the moment, I am on the phone with Dell, and they are processing a refund of $121.64 plus the tax.

The price of these monitors, at only $277.49 is really amazing. When I first started looking at them they were almost $400 each,

• 22. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

Santa came to town: Lenovo Pro 2840m: a 28" $4K monitor for $799. Shipping in April supposedly. Panel quality, features, calibration - all unknown - but we can bet it'll help bring competing 4K panel prices down, way down. Lenovo touts it as "professional", geared for high-end graphics, etc. - so there's hope the panel will work for both still and video editing.

• 23. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

That would be something I might use as a third monitor. Specifically for playing full screen video from the timeline. I can deal with less than full screen in the Program Monitor, but I want to see it full screen now and then along the way.

I wonder though. Is a 28" 4K monitor really large enough to get all the benefits of 4K?

• 24. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                        Alex - DV411 Level 2

Haha, of course not.The full benefits? Look no further than LG 105" 5K TV

LG 105-Inch Curved TV

On a serious note - I was wondering if there's any use in a 1080p screen on my 5" Nexus 5, or in Retina displays on 15" MBPs. Nobody's complaining, and people are really enjoying those super-high-density displays. My current 2560x1600 30-incher that I've been using for 5+ years was a huge step up from 1920x1200 24-inchers, and I expect 4K, even in a smaller form factor, would be a boon to use and work with.

• 25. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Another rather extreme example is Vizio announcement of a Reference Series 4K TVs. Sounds impressive, and will likely work really well for critical video monitoring:

• Rec 2020 color gamut
                                                          • true 10-bit
                                                          • full-array local dimming LED backlight
                                                          • 800-nit brightness
                                                          • HDMI 2.0

Probably very expensive, even from Vizio - yet there's hope the tech will trickle down to smaller, more affordable models.

• 26. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Haha, of course not.The full benefits? Look no further than LG 105" 5K TV

That is one heck of a TV. We are not that far from having the entire wall be a TV screen. It will most likely happen in my lifetime. It will certainly change the way houses are built, I imagine.

I was wondering if there's any use in a 1080p screen on my 5" Nexus 5, or in Retina displays on 15" MBPs.

That is kind of my point. I carry a smartphone with a 1920X1080 screen, and I seriously doubt that I would notice if it was replaced by a 1280X720 screen. After all, I don't hold it up to my eyes. On the other hand, there are times when I feel like doing that when I am watching software tutorials. But my eyes can't focus that close, so what is the point in such a high pixel count screen?

At 15" it might make a difference though.

My current 2560x1600 30-incher that I've been using for 5+ years was a huge step up from 1920x1200 24-inchers, and I expect 4K, even in a smaller form factor, would be a boon to use and work with.

I can see the point in a 2560X1600 for photography, even though I would have trouble justifying the cost. If I continue with photography in a more professional vein, I might have to consider something with a very high resolution. It might be a couple of years or more before I upgrade from my camera that can shoot 5 frames per second for quite a while, to one that shoots 24 frames per second indefinitely. We are really close and those CinemaRAW cameras are pretty exciting.

My question remains. You went from 24" to 30" when you went to the higher pixel count. Would it have been better even on a 24" screen? Perhaps. But how much better? We still need a good bang for our buck. Right? It has to be enough better to make it worth the money. How much better is certainly an individual thing with every user.

So, I imagine that 4K on a 42" or so might make a huge amount of sense, but until these old eyes see 4K on a 28" screen, I won't know if it is right for me.

• 27. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

One other thing.

I am sitting here thinking how cool it would be to have an enormous monitor that could handle the entire frame of a photo from a Nikon D800 without having to scale it down.

In my mind's eye I see a wall with the monitor, and quite a few feet back, a standup desk with my mouse and keyboard - soon to be replaced by simple hand signals so I can skip the desk and edit from my easy chair.

After all, i need to see the entire screen!

Just picture a monitor capable of 36.3 Megapixels. I wonder how long it will be? Because at this rate, it might not take as long as one might think. But will it be in time for me? I am getting pretty old, pretty fast.

And not to throw a wrench in the works, but by the time that monitor is available, the cameras will probably be available with resolution at many times the current capabilities.

• 28. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We will be editing holograms by then.

• 29. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

That is kind of my point. I carry a smartphone with a 1920X1080 screen, and I seriously doubt that I would notice if it was replaced by a 1280X720 screen. After all, I don't hold it up to my eyes. On the other hand, there are times when I feel like doing that when I am watching software tutorials. But my eyes can't focus that close, so what is the point in such a high pixel count screen?

Valid point. I went from a 720p Nexus 4 to a 1080p Nexus 5 and did notice the difference - but I am badly shortsighted, and often use the phone with glasses off, i.e. real close to my eyes, where every pixel counts.

The other possible benefit is imperceptible, not easily measurable: smoother fonts, sharper lines in images, etc. Not easy to put my finger on it, but it's there.

For me personally, a 28" 4K monitor will definitely work and be miles above a 30" 2.5K one. At $799, I might even be able to afford it.

• 30. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Well, if you do buy one, let us know how you like it and how it compares.

• 31. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                      SebastiaanFP Level 1

Bob,

Yes we will be editing holograms probably sooner then we expect, see this link:

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=154571

I am watching the developments here to be ready to jump on it when it will become a little bit more accessible. Which will be more fast probably then expected, especially since it's counterpart, 3D-printing has really jumpstarted too.

• 32. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

And maybe, eventually, we would be talking Holodeck technology where instead of a coffee table sized device, you would just put on your special goggles and feel like you were actually at the game. Except that getting up to get a beer would be a LOT less expensive.

• 33. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

My new monitors and the stand arrived today.

Now I need to buy a PC for my wife that is just powerful enough to run Windows and Microsoft Word and Excel, so she can use my old monitors.

Hey, Eric, you got any old refurbs sitting around you would let go cheap? Maybe 8G of RAM and a couple cores, tops? The only other requirement is the ability to run two 1920X1080 monitors.

I may head over to Frys and see what they have in the refurb department.

• 34. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?

Unfortunately we dont have or keep Refurbs. Frys would be a good choice there.

Eric

ADK

• 35. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I figured as much, but it never hurts to check.

It is amazing how cheap they sell Windows 8 machines with 4G and a small hard drive. Perfect for my wife. I may get away with under $200.

By the way, I ordered the Spyder4Elite. It arrives on Monday.

• 36. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I set up my Dell monitors today. I will calibrate them after dinner.

Just so you know, the stand that holds two monitors is possible a bad idea if you are short of space behind your desk. The face of the monitor will be a minimum of 10" away from the wall. Using the regular stand they would probably be half that distance.

It turns out there is nothing magical about the dual stand. It does not hold the monitors together any tighter than two stands pressed up against each other.

I will probably return it.

It might be time to mount them on the wall. That would really give me some room.

• 37. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                                  SebastiaanFP Level 1

Thanks for posting Steven!

• 38. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK, so the Spyder4Elite adjusted the two monitors. Lots of testing and adjustments for so little change.

Hmmm. OK. Well, I do see a slight difference. (The calibration software has a buttub you can click to toggle between the calibrated and uncalibrated states.)

So now I suppose the next thing to do is go to Mpix or something similar and have a photo printed. Then hold it up against the screen and see how close it is.

• 39. Re: Photo vs Video editing Monitors. Any difference?
                                                                                      UlfLaursen Level 2

Nice, Steven.

I have a dual stand for my old 24" Dell's but for my new 27" I use the two Dell stands. I think you are more flexible with the two stands than the one for two I have. The dual stand I have only have one fixed position for the monitors.

Ulf

1 2 Previous Next