5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 5:14 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Require urgent help.

Argentinaland

Hello there, this is my first post here, so  forgive me if I'm in the wrong section or something.

I've been using Photoshop CS5 for years now and never had any trouble with my lineart. I use an Intuos 4 tablet.

This is what my lines used to look like last time I used Photoshop. Always on a 1 px round brush with the following settings:

egh.png

http://24.media.tumblr.com/bf39418a8e0c0010349088d8fd8e149f/tumblr_mqyiv2ciEJ1qk3k2go1_1280.png

Now, all of a sudden, my lineart looks pixelated. I am using the exact same settings and even tried updating my drivers, it has not been fixed. It's causing me insane amounts of stress since this is what I do for a living and the decrease in lineart quality is really taking a hit on my work.

This is what they look like now.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/6pb2pt.jpg

Please, pleaaaase help me. Both documents were done in 72 DPI and this is driving me absolutely insane.

• 1. Re: Require urgent help.
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The first thing I would do is turn off Shape dynamics.  But have a look at the settings inside Shape Dynamics.  I bet you have got Size jitter set high, minimum diameter set low, roundness jitter set high.  Stuff like that.

If you want to use Shape Dynamics these settings would work for you, but you would still have line thickness with pressure with Shape Dynamics unchecked completely.

[Shape.JPG

BTW  I am in awe of your beautifully curved lines.  I have to cheat using selection tools, but I have feeling you lay them straight down free hand.  Nice one.

• 2. Re: Require urgent help.
            PeterK.. Level 3

I don't see any difference in the quality of the lines. If you load up the same image you say looks good in Photoshop, does it also now look pixelated? I'm guessing it could be something only you can see, such as maybe you changed your monitor resolution to something other than  its native setting.

• 3. Re: Require urgent help.

Peter click on the second example image to see it full size.  Maybe even copy it into Photoshop.  There is a definite difference in line quality.

Better still, copy the pirate image into Photoshop (if you have a tablet) and test it with a 1 pixel brush, and check the Shape dynamics I mentioned.  Any of those jitter settings can mess you up - especially if say minimum size was set to zero, with size jitter set to 100%.  But Angle and roundness jitter can also mess you up.  The results are not going to be so obvious with a 1 pixel brush.  That is to say, you'd get thin lines that look like the layer blend mode is set to Dissolve.  A bigger brush would make it clearer what is going on.

• 4. Re: Require urgent help.
                Argentinaland Level 1

Thank you very much to the both of you. I tried what you suggested for the brush settings and did not really see much change. It's extremely frustrating, since this truly happened completely out of the blue. Blah. Maybe uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them might help?

Either way I appreciate the responses a lot. (And yes, all my lines are hand placed haha, glad you like them)

• 5. Re: Require urgent help.

Just noticed you have Flow Jitter control set to Off.  That needs to be set to Pen Pressure.  Setting the Opacity jitter control to Off gives you a heavier line in the Preview at the bottom of the Brush presets panel, but I don't think it makes a difference to using the pen though.  You need at least one of the Flow and Opacity settings set to Pen pressure  — even if the amounts are set to zero — in order to get control of line thickness with pen pressure.

If you still have a problem,, then I would start thinking about the tablet drivers or Properties settings.  These are mine with a medium Intuos 4

wacom.JPG

Nice one for the freehand drawing, but surely you use the Pen and Stroke some of those straight lines, like the pirate’s scimitar?  I shall bee forced to give up if you tell me you can doo all that freehand.