7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 6:49 AM by A.T. Romano

Upgrade from 7 to 11

SallyTurner

Hi, I have a new computer and have reloaded PE 7.  I don't know how to use the upgrade to 11 that I bought sometime ago?

• 1. Re: Upgrade from 7 to 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SallyTurner

What is the description of your new computer?

There are all sorts of learning tools free and not free. Best to target those learning tools that are specific for your version. There have been marked changes in the interface of Premiere Elements 11 as compared to earlier versions of the program. I would keep Premiere Elements 7 installed until you feel comfortable using Premiere Elements 11. Just use one program at a Time.

I would encourage you to go through the Premiere Elements 11 Help PDF and then decide what additional learning tools that you need.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/topics.html

The idea is to get an overview of the program, explore and experiment, and, if you hit a block, post your question here. All are eager for

your success.

Since you have worked with Premiere Elements 7, you are a pro. Focus on the principles of 7 and 11 being very much the same. But, it is those feature locations that are going to need some getting used to. But, in one sense I am surprised when you wrote:

I don't know how to use the upgrade to 11 that I bought sometime ago?

Based on your Premiere Elements 7, you have a head start. Keep that thought on principles, and we will help you find any features that you had in 7 and that you cannot find in version 11.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

ATR

• 2. Re: Upgrade from 7 to 11
            SallyTurner Level 1

Hi, thanks.  What I mean is I don’t know how to actually upgrade the software version 7 (I have the disk)to 11 (I bought this and upgraded on my old computer and have been using for a while).  I have loaded 7 onto my new computer (because I had the disc), and now I want to upgrade it to 11.  I have the 11 upgrade serial number, I just don’t know how to physically do the software upgrade.  Hope you can help.  Sally

• 3. Re: Upgrade from 7 to 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SallyTurner

Thanks for the follow up with further details.

Premiere Elements 7 and 11 are standalone programs. For each to work beyond a tryout period, you need to purchase a serial number.

Apparently, you have the purchased installation disc for Premiere Elements 7.

Until proven otherwise, you have two choices to get Premiere Elements 11 onto your new computer.

a. Buy the boxed version, and install the program from the installation disc included. There will be the purchased serial number on the envelope for the disc (or somewhere in the packaging).

b. Download the free 30 day tryout from Adobe and then use it for 30 days as a tryout or, at any time, insert your Premiere Elements 11 purchased serial number into the dialog that says continue tryout or insert purchased serial number.

If you have a purchased serial number specific for Premiere Elements 11 and there is a problem, then best contact Adobe Chat who will quickly and effective straighten out the situation.

Use the link below and click on "I still need help" to get the Adobe Chat pop up.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=activating-my-product- or-serial-number-issues

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Upgrade from 7 to 11
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sally,

As ATR points out, Adobe programs do not overwrite, or replace previous versions. When one buys an newer version, it installs as a stand-alone, and can co-exist with the previous version, just fine - or, one can uninstall the previous version. In the case of PrE 7 and PrE 11, I would keep PrE 7 around, even after you install PrE 11, while you learn to use it. There are significant changes in PrE 11.

Now, as for installing PrE 11, it appears that you bought that as a download, and received your S/N via e-mail. Is that correct?

If you do have the physical media for PrE 11, then you would install from that, and plug in your S/N.

If so, just install PrE 11 on that new computer, and when you launch it, add your S/N to that installation. Done.

Try out PrE 11, and if you need to get acquainted with it, and with its changes, see this article for learning resources: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5633668#5633668

I have PrE 4 and PrE 11 installed on the same laptop, with no conflicts. I believe that ATR has PrE 7, through PrE 11 (all versions), on his computers, and have not heard of any conflicts there (maybe multiple computers?).

Please let me know if the above is correct, and also if it answers your questions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Upgrade from 7 to 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

On my Windows 7 64 bit desktop computer, I have all of the following on that one computer:

Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4

Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7

Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1

Photoshop Elements 9/Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1

Photoshop Elements 10/Premiere Elements 10

Photoshop Elements 11/Premiere Elements 11

and there are no conflicts between any of them. I run one at a time, except when integrating a particular combo. All run very well.

I also have a Windows 8 64 bit laptop computer that has the following co-existing there without conflicts

Photoshop Elements 11/Premiere Elements 11

Photoshop Elements 10/Premiere Elements 10

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1

and, believe it our not, as a troubleshooting favor for someone, I installed Photoshop Elements 3 on this computer. It installed great

from the installation disc and is not in conflict with any of the other Adobe programs on this Windows 8 64 bit laptop..

ATR

• 6. Re: Upgrade from 7 to 11
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thanks for the update to my post. I knew that you had many versions installed, but the count is even greater, than I thought.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Upgrade from 7 to 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

That desktop Windows 7 64 bit is my computer of preference.

So, when Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 (assumed that is what the next version will be named) are released by Adobe and then the tryout of both downloaded and installed by me on this same computer, I just hope that the computer does not go "tilt".

ATR