3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2006 12:30 PM by NSurveyor

Change Movie Clip Color with External Variable

KidRacer-X
      I have a movieclip in my flash file (WhiteBarMC) that I want to be able to change colors on using a variable (hexidecimal number) assigned from an external file. I found a script that gets closer to what I want to achieve, but I'm not sure how to execute the alterations I need to make it work.

on (rollOver) {
      var colorful = new Color("_root.WhiteBarMC");
      colorful.setRGB(0x006699);
      }

This is close because it changes my object/Movie Clip on roll over. BUT, I have two problems...

1) I want to set the hex-color code in an external file as a variable that flash retrieves and then applies to this movieclip. If it helps to explain why, it's because I have multiple variations of this swf throughout my site with different text overlaying the colored movieclip bar (i.e. galleries, contact, about, etc.) So, with one change in an external file, I have the ability to change the color bars globally to match changing color schemes on the site.

I set up an external ".txt" file with only "var myColor=CC0033" in the file. I'm not sure if that's right, or even the right method, but I thought it would help you smarter ones to know what I'm doing.

2) I don't want my viewers to have to "roll over" it to actuate the change. I want it to happen on load.

ANYONE who can help is a hero. Remember, I'm not that proficient at action script, so a little guidance and clarity in your response will help immensley! I owe you a dinner!
        • 1. Re: Change Movie Clip Color with External Variable
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          1. use: &myColor=0xCC0033&

2. attach your code to frame 1 of your _level0 timeline.
          • 2. Re: Change Movie Clip Color with External Variable
            2m Level 2
            dinner sounds great ;-)

instead of using an external file (txt or xml) which would be a bit more complicated (as you have to know when it has finshed loading) you could try to use flashvars. That would only be a good choice though if you use your swf on only one page, or on dynamicaly created ones.

If that is the case and you need more help - let us know.

What kglad wrote about the color-variable would be right in any case. (Guess he's the one who's earned the main course, but I'll try for dessert ;-) )

if you want to use clip events your code would be:

onClipEvent (load) {
            var colorful = new Color(this);
            colorful.setRGB(_root.myColor);
            }
            put directly on the clip in question.

on a timeline frame frame it would be:

var colorful = new Color("_root.WhiteBarMC");
            colorful.setRGB(_root.myColor);
            • 3. Re: Change Movie Clip Color with External Variable
              NSurveyor Level 2
              Place this code on the root timeline containing your clip:

my_lv = new LoadVars();
              my_lv.onLoad = function(s){
              if(s){
              var colorful = new Color(_root.WhiteBarMC);
              colorful.setRGB(this.myColor);
              }else{
              trace("Unable to load file");
              }
              }
              my_lv.load("colors.txt");

Where colors.txt is a file with: &myColor=0xCC0033& (as kglad said)