12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 3:04 PM by shooternz

RE:Safe Margins

animationlife Level 1

Hello Everyone.

Would you Please explain the Safe margins Boxes. If I am shooting, HD 1920 by 1080,How Is going to effect It.

There are Four Lines would you please explain all of them.

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: RE:Safe Margins
          pplabrisher Level 1

With "old fashion" CRT TVs, what you see is only a portion of the image on the CRT (the TV tube); how much you see varies with each make of TV. The Safe Margin Boxes address this issue (the so-called overscan); video footage within the area of the outer box (Action Safe Area) won't be cut off by overscan and neither will titles that are placed within the inner box (Title Safe Area). Premiere defaults for the Title Safe Area are 20% horizontal and 20% vertical, and those for Action Safe Area are 10% each. You can changes these if you want in the Project Setting.

With LCD TVs, overscan isn't an issue so in your 1920x1080 project, you can largely ignore the Safe Margin Boxes when you're editing; you can also turn them off, by the way.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RE:Safe Margins
            shooternz Level 6

Summarising.

If you aint Broadcasting..ignore them.

• 3. Re: RE:Safe Margins
              pplabrisher Level 1

mmm ... one of my first edits with Ppro was with V5.1 Lite (that's 5.1, not CS5.1) and I inadvertently violated the Title Safe Area and when I played back the final DVD on a Sony (CRT) TV, the title was partially chopped off. No over-the-air broadcast. Now, that may have been a fluke because the DVD was made with DVDit! (a non-Adobe product) and perhaps there was a slip between cup and lip.

In any event, with non-CRT TV being the norm now, the only use I make of the Safe Margin Box is to help position/align multiple objects in the Project Window.

• 4. Re: RE:Safe Margins
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oh i remember DVDit. Made some good dvd's.

The only time I use the safe margins is in the Titler.

• 5. Re: RE:Safe Margins
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

With "old fashion" CRT TVs

With most modern HDTVs, too.  In my experience, only the top end models actually show you the entire 1920 x 1080 raster.  Most HDTVs still have some amount of overscan and don't show you the full image, so using those guides is still a good idea for everything you want to be seen on a TV.  And with YouTube and so many other apps available on Blu-ray devices, game consoles and even Smart TV's, I'd say even web productions should be using those safe action and safe titles guides because more and more people are watching web shows on their TVs.  It get's a little annoying when the show's producer doesn't respect safe title and critical info appears off-screen because the show was designed around web viewing in a browser.

• 6. Re: RE:Safe Margins
                    joe bloe premiere Level 5

As shooternz says, unless you're distributing for broadcast,

you can generally ignore the 'Safe Areas'.

In most cases, broadcast distributers will require that HD content

adhere to the "Side Cut" requirements (titles will have to appear

within the SD Title Safe area).

There are Four Lines would you please explain all of them.

Safe.PNG

• 7. Re: RE:Safe Margins
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      As shooternz says, unless you're distributing for broadcast,

you can generally ignore the 'Safe Areas'.

No, you really can't.  At least not the outer two HD boxes, not if you want everyone to see your titles and all the action.

(And personally, I feel that even when you are editing for broadcast we should be ignoring the inner two SD marks.  There's no reason to be broadcasting 4:3 in this day and age.  But I digress...)

• 8. Re: RE:Safe Margins

Thanks, Jim.

I think you've outlined all of the potential pitfalls well in post 5.

(And personally, I feel that even when you are editing for broadcast we should be ignoring the inner two SD marks.  There's no reason to be broadcasting 4:3 in this day and age.  But I digress...)

Agreed, but it's still in the broadcast distributors' specs.

Their reasoning is that they can't control if the end broadcaster

will side-cut your 16x9 ad for 4x3 SD broadcast.

• 9. Re: RE:Safe Margins
                          pplabrisher Level 1

Thank you all for clarification.

The screen shot you show must be for PPro later than CS5; I misinterpreted his reference to four lines as the four lines bounding the safe area box on each side in CS5 and earlier. Here's another example in support of a suggestion made in the Lounge that perhaps folks should be required to state PPro version before being allowed to post.

• 10. Re: RE:Safe Margins
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The safe margins shown are for PPCC only.

• 11. Re: RE:Safe Margins

The screenshot was from Ae CS6.

• 12. Re: RE:Safe Margins
                                shooternz Level 6

That advice could get one into costly issues with Broadcast QC!