4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 2:04 AM by Pierre Devereux

Offset Effect

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

I am looking to create a simple effect, and I "Think" it might be the offset effect that would help, but not having used it before, I am not sure how to get the desired move.

I have a row of short vertical dashes:

01.JPG

Each Dash is a seperate element. These are then precomposed and copied to form a string:

02.JPG

This is then precomposed and added to a display. I want these to shift left and right, within its own space - in other words, the image must remain stationary, but I want the dashes to slide from left to right inside it.

The image was created in photoshop and imported into After Effects. Is Offset the correct choice?

Thanks guys

Pierre

• 1. Re: Offset Effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Why not use Motion Tile or CC Repetile to begin with? Could have saved you from manually repeating items... Otherwise this wil lwork just fine using these effects - by their nature, effects always operate within the layer's local coordinates.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Offset Effect
            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Well, luckily, I did not create the images, I just got them yesterday from one of my collegues. He had a lot of fun in photoshop, I have 25 different configurations of different images to play with. Today, my job is to create several templates, attaching controls to each moving piece, so that once they are added to the specific shots, they can be easily manipulated. I am just adjusting each layers anchor point, and giving it a good 'ol "wiggle" effect. that way, when the time comes, either the wiggle can be set properly, or ill advise on a nicer control.

Ill try one of the mentioned effects now.

Cheers.

Pierre

• 3. Re: Offset Effect
              Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Sorry, I cant seem to get this right, I am not sure if I explained properly what I wanted though...

The images are ready to go, so I dont want to change them at all, or add and more repetitions to it. I want it to animate - to have it seem to slide (loop) accross from side to side.

It is going to be a part of a display, and I thought it would be nice to give the option of having the bars looping to add animation to the scene.

Pierre

• 4. Re: Offset Effect
                Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Mylenium,

Thanks again for the advice. The effects you mentioned will really help the guys in the future to save time. Also, I figured out the issue. As mentioned, I have not used offset before, and was not aware (as obvious as it should be) that the image needs to be the same size as its comp, or it will offset within that comp - as you said, within its local co-ords.

The photoshop layer was createdas 1080X1920, and the actual set of stripes less than 100X100 pixels big.

I have changed the comp size, and now offset works exactly as i wanted.

Thanks again

Pierre