18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2013 6:22 AM by Peter Spier

Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

G.Hoffmann Level 3

I'm testing Print Booklet for InDesign CS6 on Windows XP, using Acrobat 8.

I can't find the settings for compression (none) and resolution (288ppi) in the InDesign

dialogue.

I can set these parameters directly in the parameter list for the 'printer' Adobe PDF,

but these actual settings are not honored. Especially I'm getting always JPEGs instead

of no compression.

These are the most important windows:

#booklet-settings.png

Sorry for intermediate confusion.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Message was edited by: G.Hoffmann

• 1. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you gone through the Tabs in the box on the left in the Print window

#booklet-settings.png

• 2. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
            G.Hoffmann Level 3

Larry,

exactly there, in my system no settings for the compression mode and the resolution

can be found.

Knowing InBooklet SE, this actual imposition tool Print Booklet  is in my humble opinion

a desaster.

• 3. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you are trying to use Print Booklet to print to PDF or postscript, you need to enter the print setup dialog first from Print Booklet, then the printer dirver dialog to set the PDF settings you want to use.

• 4. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                G.Hoffmann Level 3

I would be very grateful if somebody could confirm, that there are really options for

resolution and compression in the suggested workflow.

Here I don't have these options (which are normally standards for Export to PDF).

I'm using PDF (based on PageMaker and InDesign sources)  since about 1998.

Could it be that InDesign CS6 doesn't cooperate well with Acrobat 8?

I thought, that Export to PDF in InDesign is independent of the Acrobat version.

The funny thing is, that my stone-age system CS2+Acrobat 8 handles everything

perfectly:

http://docs-hoffmann.de/howww41a.html

• 5. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

I thought we made it fairly clear that Print Booklet to PDF isn't really a recommended workflow.

• 6. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                    G.Hoffmann Level 3

For other readers:

InBooklet SE – an imposition module in InDesign CS2

Print Booklet – an imposition module in later versions, here CS6

IDImpose – an optional imposition module: http://idimposer.com/

--------------------

Peter, according to your post #3 one might assume that Print Booklet is

working as expected, if the operator follows some simple rules.

No, it doesn't, but I agree to your statement

Print Booklet to PDF isn't really a recommended workflow

I've updated CS6 for the newest state, it's now ID 8.01.

There are a couple of problems, using Print Booklet for 'printing' as PDF:

a) Settings for Resolution and Compression cannot be found in InDesign dialogues.

External settings in the 'printer' Adobe PDF are ignored.

b) Some Encapsulated PostScript components are considered as buggy, though

Export to PDF without Print Booklet for the same pages is flawless, and furtheron

these components themselves are correctly interpreted by other programs

(MathType, Photoshop, PSAlter...).

This is the error log:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
                    %%[Page: 1]%%
                    %%[Page: 2]%%
                    %%[ Error: typecheck; OffendingCommand: makefont ]%%

Stack:
                    [448.0 0.0 0.0 -448.0 0.0 0.0]
                    -file-
                    -mark-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
                    %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Obviously, Print Booklet uses the somewhat outdated workflow via PostScript

and Distiller. This is not generally wrong (worked pretty good with PageMaker),

but here it fails.

Now a few words about IDImposer, which I had tested:

This program creates an imposed version of an InDesign file by generating one PDF

for each page. These pages should be uncompressed and not downsampled, which

is unnecessary for InBooklet SE, where we have only links to already existing

components. The new ID doc contains one PDF per page in the imposed page structure.

Therefore nothing is editable by InDesign. The following Export to PDF leads normally

to correct documents with working Links for URLs (garbled in just one case).

This is obviously not an optimal substitute for InBooklet SE.

Thanks for the discussion.

• 7. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

I think Dov will have to tell us why you are getting jpegs with your settings (I didn't come to the web page for my first response, and your dialogs look correct to me).

If you don't have crossovers or need creep, Dave Saunders' old build booklet script should work for you to make a perfectly editable imposed  2-up saddle-stitch file (not sure why you want or need to edit after imposition, though), even in CS6. http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip

• 8. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                        G.Hoffmann Level 3

Peter,

thanks for the link to Dave Saunders' script. Let's see what happens:

Start with 12 single pages A4 portrait

Execute the script

Result: 12 correctly shuffled pages: 12-1--2-11--10-3--4-9--8-5--6-7

Export as PDF delivers 12 single pages as well

Now we try

File>Document setup>facing pages

(we could have started with this mode, same result)

Now the pages looks like A3 landscape as wanted, but Export as PDF

delivers again 12 single pages A4.

Either I had overlooked something or Dave's script doesn't execute

the imposition for double-size paper. The last version is from 2008.

The comment mentions only shuffle.

• 9. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

Dqave script takes whatever pages you have deifined  and make a new file with the same pages, then shuffles thing into a two-up saddle-stitch imposition, creating new sections for each page to peserve the page numbering. That's all it does. Normal procedure then is to export PDF with the Spreads box checked to get your printer spreads.

• 10. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                            G.Hoffmann Level 3

Dqave script takes whatever pages you have deifined  and make a new file with the same pages, then shuffles thing into a two-up saddle-stitch imposition

Not here, Peter

After all these experiences I'm feeling like Hans in Luck, but fortunately I can still use InDesign CS2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_in_Luck

• 11. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

Perhaps you mean something different by impostion than I do.  Show me the pages panels for your second example before and after running the script and explain what is not "imposed."

• 12. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                                G.Hoffmann Level 3

What is imposition?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition

"Imposition is one of the fundamental steps in the prepress printing process. It consists in the arrangement
                                of the printed product’s pages on the printer’s sheet"

There is no printer's sheet in the InDesign appearance of Dave's shuffled pages. It's just a new linear order.

How to solve the Compression&Resolution problem for InDesign's Print Booklet:

1. Print to PostScript file (instead of Adobe PDF).
                                2. Distill with correct settings for compression and resolution in Distiller. These are honored.

This works, but it's perhaps a little oldfashioned... welcome in the 21.century as some well-known member
                                here used to say.

• 13. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

After you run the script export to PDF and CHOOSE SPREADS

spreads.png

• 14. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                                    G.Hoffmann Level 3

Meanwhile the discussion seems to be somewhat mingled (my fault).

a) InDesign's Print Booklet works correctly, going through PostScript,

followed by Distiller.

b) Dave Saunder's script does not deliver an imposed new doc,

neither in InDesign nor Exported as PDF, using Spreads instead of

Pages. The Dave-doc (InDesign) contains 4 spreads A4 for 4 pages A4,

sequence 4-1--2-3

(using now a simplified example, instead of 12 pages).

It might be necessary to test this old script (updated 2008) with CS6,

as I did.

Best regards  --Gernot Hoffmann

• 15. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

Dave's script is working EXACTLY as designed. It is up to you to export as spreads. You asked for an editable document, and this is it. As far as I know there is no easy way to move page content to a single double-width spread and make it both editable and preserve the orginal page numbers and other master objects, but you can ask in scripting if anyone has a better script. This one fit my needs for creating two-up booklets for years.

• 16. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

Here are screen shots of a four-page file with large page numbers so you can see the order, from CS6 and Acrobat 9:

Before running the script:

Before Script.png

After running the script:

After Script.png

The two-page imposed PDF exported from the second screen shot after selecting Spreads in the dialog:

Imposed PDF.png

Where is the problem?

• 17. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet
                                          G.Hoffmann Level 3

I got it working. This is the complete workflow:

1. Start with 4 single pages A4 portrait (I need as well a single page version)

2. Execute the script by Dave Saunders, see #7

Result: 4 correctly shuffled pages A4

3. File>Document setup>facing pages

This file shows the final printer's spread arrangement A3 landscape and is editable.

4. Export spread to PDF, using any settings for resolution and compression.

Where is the problem? Both steps 3. and 4. are necessary.

Gentlemen, thanks for discussion and help.

• 18. Re: Setting compression and resolution in Print Booklet

If you set up as facing pages to begin with you can get both PDFs from the same file. Before you run the script export your PDF with spreads deselected and you'll get single pages in consecutive order.

Run the script, and export with spreads selected and you get imposed spreads.

If you don't want a two-page master on your facing pages file, choose the master page options and change to one page.