23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 3:10 AM by COFilms

Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?

COFilms Level 1

Hello Adobe Experts,

I am appealing for some help with an issue that has bugged me for a little while. The best way to explain it is to show you the problem in a short 4 minute video which I will post below for those who have the time to take a look. Failing that my description is beneath the video.

Essentially, I upgraded to Premiere Pro CS6 from CS5.5 and discovered GPU acceleration. Wow! I subsequently was due to upgrade my iMac and bring in the specs to make the most of this technology, especially within colour correcting and grading. The new machine we got is a 2012 Mac Pro 12 core (2 x 6 cores 2.4Ghz) with 32 GB Ram and a Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac (2GB). It also has an SSD drive as the OS boot and applications drive so hoping that things would be super quick.

For a time they were, I can remember adding the Fast Color Corrector effect to a video clip and dragging the wheel around and everything would move in realtime, the program monitor was updating as I moved the mouse within the colur wheel. It was smooth and silky which I just loved as it meant that colour correction/grading would be now very easy to accurately dial in a look quickly and then move to the next clip. Plus no need to render afterwards either, hooray!

Then recently, and I am not sure what has caused this, it stopped working as well?!? I still don't have to render the clip after adding the effect or making a change to the parameters, however the process of making the change has become slow, unresponsive, laggy, delayed, laboured or any other similar adjectives. Now when I drag the mouse in the colour wheel the update happens in delayed steps and it is certainly anything from smooth and silky anymore. The problem with this is that it is very hard to accurately and quickly move the parameters around and make those fine adjustments which in turn slows down the process greatly.

I am really keen to know the following:

• Does anyone else with a similar system have these issues?
      • Is this just how it is? (Trouble is I remember it being much faster and more responsive. Also I watched Maxim Jago at a workshop and he didn't seem to struggle with these issues when showing off GPU acceleration and adjusting effect parameters, even during playback)
      • Is it a hardware issue? Does my GPU need to be faster or is it not being correctly allocated to Premiere Pro?
      • Is it a software issue? Is it something that has come about in more recent versions of Premiere Pro?
      • How can I go about resolving this issue?

So far I have tried a fair few things like resetting preferences, ensuring the GPU acceleration in the 'Memory' preferences tab is turned on, clearing media caches, removing and reinstalling Premiere Pro et cetera.

If any experts from the community can help or indeed anyone from Adobe can help me resolve this issue, or at least feed back thoughts and comments, then I would be so grateful.

Best wishes,

Alex

• 1. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What nVidia driver version are you using?  CUDA version?

If the Quadro driver is version 320.xx, try rolling back to 311.50 (Adobe's recommendation).

Jeff

• 2. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
            COFilms Level 1

Hi Jeff,

nVidia driver version is:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/374a1713-0860-47b4-af6e-35eefe291db2/a35f6dee28fdbe31530936dbcd408c91/deep/0/CUDA%20Preferences%20and%20Adobe%20Community:%20Adding%20GPU%20Accelerated%20Cuda%20Effects%20is%20suddenly%20very%20laggy?.png

Can't see 320.xx style of number sequence anywhere? Sorry to be slow.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

That's the CUDA driver version.  I think that one's OK.  Do you know how to launch the nVidia control panel?  I'm on Windows so I can't tell you how to do it on a Mac.  On Windows, I right/context-click the desktop and I get an option to launch the nVidia contro panel.  The Home screen will show you the Quadro driver version.

Jeff

• 4. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                COFilms Level 1

Interestingly Jeff. I went looking for the GPU Driver Version update and found this:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/ad37a97d-dfc2-4f77-bbc9-c5066d0f22a1/68bb78a53c61f05e2c60f17c5f484572/deep/0/NVIDIA%20DRIVERS%20313.01.01f03.png

So downloaded this and installed now I get this in my System Preferences:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/63e305cc-314c-4a86-91af-d3b0982ee034/a9d6e0bba1c7c39f26703472d961401d/deep/0/System%20Preferences%20and%20Adobe%20Community:%20Adding%20GPU%20Accelerated%20Cuda%20Effects%20is%20suddenly%20very%20laggy?.png

Would seem that this has updated the driver also and will now keep me updated of future updates

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/a51810db-9273-457f-a0fa-5f98ae700cc6/e36fee3daffe2d9939f8aa362f3b8bd8/deep/0/CUDA%20Preferences%20and%20Adobe%20Community:%20Adding%20GPU%20Accelerated%20Cuda%20Effects%20is%20suddenly%20very%20laggy?.png

About to give it a go in Premiere and see if any difference occurs.

I will report back shortly.

• 5. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                  COFilms Level 1

Hasn't seemed to help at all! Well maybe a bit!

Damn!

• 6. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                    COFilms Level 1

So I am still having this problem and it is starting to drive me bananas.

I spent like 3 hours on the phone to Adobe and still no real resolution to the problem. My system spec is good so there should be no problem there.

The problem is that, when I add either the Fast Colour Corrector or the Three Way Colour Corrector I find that the performance of these effects is insanely slow considering they are CUDA accelerated. I used to be able to click and drag in the colour wheel and the dot in the middle would follow my mouse around as I adjusted the colour. Now it lags behind and if I simply click and wait for it to catch up it takes about three seconds. Same with the TWCC.

I have seen numerous videos online of colour correction where people are making these adjustments without the same type of delay which makes me think there is either something wrong with Premiere or my system. When I first bought the system just under a year ago it was able to make these adjustments in real-time and as the video played back! Not now though so I can't work out what has changed or is now causing the issue.

Is it woth me completely resetting my system to factory, re-installing Premiere and then seeing if this helps? If so I can then add Applications one by one to see if any of them affect the performance or the issue reoccurs.

Any thoughts on this guys and girls? Any advice or help much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Alex

• 7. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                      JFPhoton Level 3

.....first, try rolling back your NVidia driver to the one he recommended. If that does nothing, you may want to take your problem to the Hardware forum....the specs you have mentioned so far are not detailed enough.

What codec(s) are you using ?.....are they the same as always ?

How many tracks ?

Are you using any plug-ins,or,non CUDA accelerated effects ?

What exactly is your disk system and how full is it ??

Remember " Occum's Razor"....the solution is usually the SIMPLEST one !!

• 8. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                        COFilms Level 1

Hi there JFPhoton, Thanks for taking the time to respond. In answer to your questions:

JFPhoton wrote:

What codec(s) are you using ?.....are they the same as always ?

The codec is straight from Canon DSLR so it is an H.264 .mov file. This was the same as it was when the problem didn't exist.

How many tracks ?

Just two, sometimes only one! Still happens.

JFPhoton wrote:

Are you using any plug-ins,or,non CUDA accelerated effects ?

No plugins and no non CUDA accelerated effects. Main issue is with Fast Color Corrector and Three Way Color Corrector.

JFPhoton wrote:

What exactly is your disk system and how full is it ??

Disk setup as follows:

• 512 GB SSD - Mac OS and Applications (Premiere is installed here)
                        • 3 x 1TB HDD Internal - These are striped together in a RAID (done via Disk Utility) and form a 3TB internal drive for large throughput (My project, scratch disks, footage and other media are here for any project I am currently working on). Ran test via BlackMagic Speed Test app and the results were ideal.
                        • External 5 Bay Drobo S with 5 x 3TB HDDs installed and connected via eSata. Forms Backup and main storeage drive for projects I am not working on.

The scratch disk has 2.46TB of free space apparantly.

What other specs are needed?

• 9. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                          JFPhoton Level 3

....1.  Did you roll back NVidia driver to the one recommended ?????   Try this first !!!!

....2. Your disk system appears plenty fast enough....especially concerning  Canon .MOV's.....which are highly compressed and put more of a strain on the CPU.

...3. not familiar with Macs...I'm a PC user.....however, I AM aware that PPro versions AFTER 5.03 have had various bugs with these .mov files....some have been corrected, I think....CCloud version may not have any of these bugs...I am not sure...esp. with the Mac versions.

...4. In general....these Canon .MOV files have been discussed many times before on these forums. The issue has been that on Windows machines.....the OS and PPro is now all 64bit, whereas the .MOV Canon files would trigger a 32bit process to run , ( "Quick Time Importer) slowing everything down because : the 32 bit process limits the system memory to 4 GB AND the slower 32 bit operation for the program and CPU. Suggestions were made to "rename" the file extension to "mp4" to FOOL PPro into  handling it like a 64bit file and NOT starting the 32bit "QT Importer". This did NOT work for me....I had to transcode to the intermediate  codec DNxHD in order to edit these files.

...5. Being that your hardware appears very sufficient....it SEEMS like something is INTERFERING with the normal CUDA acceleration that is supposed to be taking place with your video card. Are you SURE its running in " GPU Hardware Acceleration" mode and NOT in "Software ONLY" mode....which means GPU acceleration is turned OFF !!  If it IS running in "Accelerated" mode....see if you can "monitor" the activity of both the CPU AND GPU while running the program....then COMPARE results with shutting OFF the acceleration.

...6. It REALLY sounds like a driver issue.....or, an update to your CS 6 PPro which you may not have installed yet, ( that could have a "bug fix" ) or, perhaps something with your OS....maybe an update THERE not installed.....it does NOT sound like a hardware issue right now. You have red lines above parts of your timeline.....were they THERE BEFORE when appying those accelerated effects ????...or, is this NEW to have them on your machine ??? If they WERE red before....did it STILL scrub smoothly then ????...( sometimes it can ). Check to see if there are users still complaining about any "AVCHD" bugs on CS6 versions of PPro,or, if they have been fixed. Good Luck!!!...report back if you find the problem,or not!

****** JUST NOTICED that the last NVidia driver you installed is CLEARLY INCOMPATIBLE with your Mac....it appears to be for OLDER Macs ONLY...not yours !!!!!......that what is says on the description.

****** MAKE SURE you are using the PROPER NVIDIA driver for your machine !!!!!

• 10. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                            COFilms Level 1

Thanks for coming back so quick. Really frustrating now as I just spoke to Nvidia support who were seriously unhelpful!

I don't know how to do the roll back that people are talking about? That is one of the reasons I contacted Nvidia. I have done a search on the Nvidia Driver page and not found any older drivers matching the description above?

The .movs never caused an issue before. I have tried transcoding via MPEG Streamclip to ProRes 422 to see if this made a difference but no! Is this still a Quicktime codec? I am fed up of the Quicktime codec 32-bit thing as this impacts on Media Encoder as well! Will Transcoding to DNxHD reduce quality noticeably? Otherwise they edit fine and all the other CUDA effects work great! I also don't have to render any of these effects once applied. It seems weird that the main ones I am having issues with are the ones with visual colour wheels! This is why I think it is a graphics card issue.

Definitely have it running in GPU CUDA Acceleration. Not sure how to monitor the GPU on a Mac annoyingly it doesn't show in Disk Utility.

I got so desperate that I actually backed up my machine and restored to factory settings. Reinstalled a fresh copy of the OS and then redownloaded Premiere Pro CC direct from Adobe. Surely there should be no bugs now on the system or in the software? Problem still persists!

Red lines still do scrub smoothly.

Grrrr! It's a small thing but it is really annoying me as it seriously is slowing down my workflow when it comes to the grade. Using the RGB Curves works well but it is much harder than a visual wheel. Looking forward to October update of CC when a direct link to SpeedGrade is introduced!

• 11. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                              Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please go to the link below to check all the Previous drivers for Nvidia cards for MAC.

You can roll back to CUDA 5.0.61 driver for MAC or any other update that works for you.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Regards,

Vinay

• 12. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                JFPhoton Level 3

.....you say you are now using CCloud....are you using the ACTUAL PPro CCloud, OR, did you use CCloud to download and use CS 6 PPro ???.......some others have been confused and DID NOT understand which version of PPro they have been using !!!!! The version matters....especially if you are NOW using something different than you were before.

.....I'm assuming your RAID is RAID 0, with the 3 drives mentioned....if NOT....THAT could introduce problems.

.....being from Windows, I cannot comment on how the codecs will work on a Mac.....I DO know a recent addition of the 64bit DNxHD codec in an .MXF container is a MAJOR improvement for Windows users of PPro CCloud....vs. the previous versions that DO NOT have this feature. I used the 32bit DNxHD.MOV free codec with PPro version 5.03 to edit successfully.......where the native Canon DSLR .MOV files would NOT !!!!....even with an i7,plenty memory,SSDs, AND good NVidia CUDA card !!!....NOW, CC only users can transcode to DNxHD.MXF which is 64bit and much easier on the CPU , without the 32bit issues !!!

....if OS is fully up to date and PPro fully updated.......it appears the only thing left is to MAKE SURE you have the CORRECT NVidia driver for your Mac Pro 2012 and specific video card !!!!

• 13. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                  JFPhoton Level 3

....again...that 313 driver you installed is for OLDER Macs...NOT yours!!!! It states that CLEARLY at the bottom in the release notes...DID YOU SEE THAT ???....try whatever is the newest FOR YOUR MACHINE and card...

.....according to the NVidia Website....the correct driver for your card is : 5.5.24      released in August 2013 ...it is specifically mentioned that this driver is to enble CUDA accelerated programs on a MAC.

......Also, your Quadro card is VERY wimpy compared to the GeForce cards.....you only have 256 CUDA cores and a smaller Bandwidth of 89 GB/sec......I do NOT know what NVidia cards you may put in a Mac that would be better, or, if you can apply the "hack" to enable a "non-certified" card to work with the Mercury Playback Engine......you may look at the Studio One website for info and further into the PPro forums.

• 14. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                    COFilms Level 1

Thank you Vinay for this link.

I have now tried rolling back to the driver you suggested but no joy. I then tried going back to the CUDA driver that must have been installed when I received my Mac Pro last November and all was working fine. Sadly still no luck!

I am convinced it must be something obvious as all the other CUDA accelerated effects work excellently. It seems to be just the Fast Color Corrector and the Three Way Color Corrector that are affected. Also this only seems to be when using the actual visual colour wheels.

Want to reitterate that they are working but it is incredibly slow to update and pin in wheel doesn't follow mouse accurately when making adjustments which means fine tweaks are very slow to make and therefore incredibly time consuming.

Anything else to suggest? Should I try all the CUDA drivers inbewteen?

• 15. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                      COFilms Level 1

Cheers JFPhoton,

JFPhoton wrote:

....again...that 313 driver you installed is for OLDER Macs...NOT yours!!!! It states that CLEARLY at the bottom in the release notes...DID YOU SEE THAT ???....try whatever is the newest FOR YOUR MACHINE and card...

I thought this but my Mac is a 5,1 model which is the one mentioned in the notes for that driver despite it saying 2010 not 2012 models.

JFPhoton wrote:

.....according to the NVidia Website....the correct driver for your card is : 5.5.24      released in August 2013 ...it is specifically mentioned that this driver is to enble CUDA accelerated programs on a MAC.

Yes quite right and this is now installed but not rectifying the situation any better.

JFPhoton wrote:

......Also, your Quadro card is VERY wimpy compared to the GeForce cards.....you only have 256 CUDA cores and a smaller Bandwidth of 89 GB/sec......I do NOT know what NVidia cards you may put in a Mac that would be better, or, if you can apply the "hack" to enable a "non-certified" card to work with the Mercury Playback Engine......you may look at the Studio One website for info and further into the PPro forums.

I had wondered if this might have been the problem there is another card that is a bit beefier but it comes at a very very high cost. Also, this card was working fine when I first received the system and spoken to countless Adobe support guys who have not once mentioned I have an insufficient card. Don't want to necessarily go throwing money at expensive soultion if it isn't going to rectify the problem but certainly something to consider.

Still convinced it is something simple as all the other CUDA effects work smoothly and as expected. The FCC and TWCC are the only two affected and they both have those visual wheels which are the areas where I am noticing the problem.

Incidentally, in SpeedGrade I am able to make adjustments using the visual wheels without any lag or delay? So I reckon if I can't find the problem then I'll just make do with RGB curves for now and then on October 18th when the new direct link to SG comes out via PP update start using this more for correction and grading.

My only concern is that this problem is a sign that my system is incorrectly set up or under performing due to another underlying issue. Anyway as said before if it ain't broke...

• 16. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                        Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi,

I think trying all CUDA drivers will not be a good idea beacuse it might end up with the same result. Please try to create a new user account and check whether the issue persists in that user too. I have seen this issue before with the color correctors so try a new user account and check the performance.

Regards,

Vinay

• 17. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                          JFPhoton Level 3

.....many questions you did not answer to rule out problems :

which version of PPro are you using......CCloud, or CS 6 ?

is your RAID setup configured in RAID 0......what were test results for speed ?

PPro version IS important......CCloud ONLY supports multiple GPUs.....a possible improvement for you

Not knowing about Macs......I do not know if you can install a GeForce card in your machine.......they are MUCH cheaper than Quadros......( which are almost NEVER recommended for Windows machines )...AND their performance is WAY BETTER !!

If I were you....I would look into whether or not I could install one.....or even two...better GeForce cards into the machine. I do not know if this is even possible,as with Macs........the rules are all different. Eric,from ADK may be able to help......he participates on this forum regularly.....try and contact him.......he KNOWS his s**t !!!

• 18. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                            Maxim Jago

Hi Alex,

Which really basic things have you ruled out?

Have you reset the Premiere Pro preferences? I notice you're running playback at full res - does dropping the playback resolution improve things? H.264 media needs pretty fast drives to build the frames (being long gop), so drive speed is definitely a factor.

I also notice you have quite a lot of other software running along your menu bar. Is it possible anything there is tying up your GPU? No energy saving prefs set to save power?

I take it you're on the most up to date CC version of Premiere Pro? If not, which version are you using?

The quadro 4000 should be great - until recently it was the only card that would fit in a Mac Pro tower and it's a fine card. Do other graphics intensive applications work fine? Do you have this problem with a different project and different codec media?

Maxim

• 19. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                              COFilms Level 1

Hi Maxim and JFPhoton,

I'll try and come back to all those points:

To JFPhoton-

which version of PPro are you using......CCloud, or CS 6 ? - CC Latest version

is your RAID setup configured in RAID 0......what were test results for speed ? Three internal HDD 3TBs striped together for maximum throughput. Speed results = https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/6fd1cf94-e93b-4a13-b58e-e7481f60e070/a70d0dd5a733743f16ae66e51d0bdf92/deep/0/Blackmagic%20Design%20Disk%20Speed%20Test.png

To Maxim Jago-

• Yes I have reset the preferences. I have also unisntalled Premiere and then reinstalled it. Also completely reinstalled my OS just in case.
                                              • Playback is running at full res and has been since I got the machine - never had an issue from the start and then all of a sudden..... meh!
                                              • I have three internal HDDs (3TB) striped together in raid for maximum throughput which are pretty quick (speedtest above). I did try to check this though by putting source content onto my boot drive which is an SSD and then trying to see if issue exists in this case which it does. I also tried transcoding to other codecs than h.264 and the problem is still present.
                                              • Yes there is a fair bit of software running in menu bar. Used to have iStats running which I have removed now and problem still persists. Others I wouldn't think should be taxking the GPU. Although I will try quitting out of everything none essential.
                                              • Definitely up to date on most recent version of PPro
                                              • The Quadro 4000 was superb once I first got it. As mentioned above, I could perorm all the edits to the mentioned effects with ease at full res whilst plyaing back and everything working fine! I just wonder however if the card may have developed a fault or need cleaning out of dust or something? (quite a lot of dust present when I last opened the side door). Is there a way to check this?
                                              • Same problem persists across different projects and codecs.

As I just mentioned to Maxim, I wonder if my GPU has developed a fault? The reason I say this is because sometimes my monitor doesn't come on correctly (just shows a black screen) and I have to turn on and off again. Also, sometimes within Premiere I have an issue where I resize a window and I get 'ghosting' of that window as I drag. Did also previously have an issue changing between colour correction workspace and editing workspace. The workspace simply wouldn;t change and everything was completely unresponsive. I just wondered if anyone knew a way to check the GPU without taking it out of the machine or indeed if this might be the cause of my problems?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really really appreciate it.

Best wishes

• 20. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                                SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Hey Alex, we've made improvements to the responsiveness of the color wheels in the upcoming October 2013 release of Premiere Pro. Please let us know how this looks when it is out.

• 21. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                                  COFilms Level 1

Hi Steve,

Really? That's awesome! I so hope it resolves the problem! I've been going slightly crazy here!

So was it something that was recognised as a bug then that Adobe were aware of? Would be great to know that I wasn't the only one seeing the issue!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best wishes,

Alex

• 22. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                                    Maxim Jago Level 1

Hey there Alex,

Do you get any graphics issues when you're using any other applications? If you're finding windows are ghosting as you drag them, just in the operating system, along with things like your monitor not coming on, I wonder if the problem is, as you suggest, a hardware one.

It's a total pain, I know, but if you have any way of swapping out the graphics card temporarily, you might discover a sudden improvement. It could even be something as simple as re-seating the graphics card in its slot.

Maxim

• 23. Re: Adding GPU Accelerated Cuda Effects is suddenly very laggy?
                                                      COFilms Level 1

Hello All,

Just a quick update to let you know that the issue has been resolved in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 7.1 and we are now lag free when using the colour wheels and CUDA accelerated effects! Hurrah.

Thank you Adobe!

Here's a quick video to show them working as expected: