14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2013 10:14 AM by Pickory

Showing changes to proofreaders

Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Hi,

As you know the Track Changes feature only shows changes in the Story Editor. I need visual indications of insertions, changes and deletions that can be exported to a PDF file that my proofreaders can comment.

Currently, I'm adding change marks by hand, but this is not the ideal situation. Has anybody found a way of automatically showing changes in the final pages of an InDesign document?

Thank you,

Paolo

• 2. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
          peter minneapolis Level 4

Acrobat (full product) has a PDF document comparison feature. Your proofreaders can compare the newest PDF to the previous one, to see the changes.

If editing and correcting in InDesign, and proofreading the PDFs is your preferred workflow, then the commercial plug-in DTP Tools - Annotations for Adobe InDesign may not suit your workflow. It imports comments from PDFs into ID documents. It's worth a look and test with the free trial.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

Hi,

As you know the Track Changes feature only shows changes in the Story Editor. I need visual indications of insertions, changes and deletions that can be exported to a PDF file that my proofreaders can comment.

Currently, I'm adding change marks by hand, but this is not the ideal situation. Has anybody found a way of automatically showing changes in the final pages of an InDesign document?

Thank you,

Paolo

• 4. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
            Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Thank you for your answers.

Peter, I've used the comparison function of Acrobat Pro, but it seems not to work. I've never been able to make it work, even with the most similar versions of a document. It says "Acrobat could not compare the documents completely", and just gives me a comparison document nearly mirroring the newer version.

Otherwise, this would be my preferred way of work.

Paolo

• 5. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders

Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

Thank you for your answers.

Peter, I've used the comparison function of Acrobat Pro, but it seems not to work. I've never been able to make it work, even with the most similar versions of a document. It says "Acrobat could not compare the documents completely", and just gives me a comparison document nearly mirroring the newer version.

Otherwise, this would be my preferred way of work.

Paolo

Try posting your request in Adobe's User-to-User Acrobat forum; those folks should have the expertise to sort this out for you. Also, consider a Google search for "acrobat pdf compare documents," without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

The way I work with my editors is they create notes in acrobat and they look at the PDF and then make the changes in the ID file.

This way they have total control as to what changes they want to make or discard.

• 7. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                  David W. Goodrich Level 3

Getting Acrobat Pro's PDF comparison to work as one would like isn't simple.  For instance, I often forget to change the comparison from the default "light-table" mode to text.  Moreover, it is prone to errors, though generally these are false positives.  The side-by-side comparison is no longer the default view, as it was for Acrobat 7, but I still find it very useful on a big screen (I used to save these and send to editors with a note about the false positives).

But most important, it continues to save my bacon.  Some months back IDCS4 had a "senior moment" when generating the final, press-ready PDF for a 500-pp. book, and changed footnote numbers in a few dozen notes, out of hundreds, seemingly at random.  I assume ID had trouble digesting 2,000 cross-references spread throughout a very large file, but whatever the cause, text comparison against the previous proofs alerted me to a problem my eyes hadn't caught -- well worth the bother of comparing in 200-pp. chunks.

David

• 8. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders

David:

Good info about bad ID behavior! I'll be useful to lots of folks.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

David W. Goodrich wrote:

Getting Acrobat Pro's PDF comparison to work as one would like isn't simple.  For instance, I often forget to change the comparison from the default "light-table" mode to text.  Moreover, it is prone to errors, though generally these are false positives.  The side-by-side comparison is no longer the default view, as it was for Acrobat 7, but I still find it very useful on a big screen (I used to save these and send to editors with a note about the false positives).

But most important, it continues to save my bacon.  Some months back IDCS4 had a "senior moment" when generating the final, press-ready PDF for a 500-pp. book, and changed footnote numbers in a few dozen notes, out of hundreds, seemingly at random.  I assume ID had trouble digesting 2,000 cross-references spread throughout a very large file, but whatever the cause, text comparison against the previous proofs alerted me to a problem my eyes hadn't caught -- well worth the bother of comparing in 200-pp. chunks.

David

• 9. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                      Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Sandee, my case is a bit different. The case you describe is (correct me if I'm wrong): a writer writes a documents, and an editor revises the full text. My case is: a writer modifies a documents, and an editor revises the changes.

The problem is: how to show the editor what was changed by the writer? Change tracking, or document comparison, seems to me the only way to do it. The matter is that I did this with the dedicated software functions when using FrameMaker, and have to rely on a manual marking with InDesign (using conditional text and Find/Change).

The smarter alternative seems to be the nice (while quite expensive) plugins suggested in this thread.

Paolo

• 10. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                        Pickory Level 3

Hi,

The free script editmarksviewer can print the insertion marks to pdf.

http://www.kerntiff.co.uk/free-stuff/editmarksviewer

The script uses conditional text to mark the nsertions.

P.

• 11. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                          Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Pickory, I was still exploring your scripts, and had missed EditMarksViewer. This is really a great gift! Thank you!

Paolo

• 12. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                            Pickory Level 3

It does convert the inserts to conditonal texts, so use with care. Maybe only use it on a backup of your document.

All the best.

P.

• 13. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                              Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

I actually use conditional text to track may changes. Conditional text allows me to 1) hide the deleted text when I want to give the proofreaders a cleaner document, and 2) hide the indicators for intermediate draft, without removing indicators that will be useful to translators having to only deal with modificed text.

I still unsure, but I fear manually track changes is needed anyway. Your scripts will be useful to speed the work. My InDesign workflow could be this one:

1) Use Track Changes or EditMarks to automatically keep track of changes.

2) Let EditMarksViewer propagate changes to the Page View mode.

3) When editing is completed, extend change markings to full sentences, to avoid giving translators only parts of sentences. Full sentences will be easier to understand, and will not confuse CAT software.

Step #3 will always have to be manual.

Paolo

• 14. Re: Showing changes to proofreaders
                                Pickory Level 3

There is also EditMarks Navigator. This free script also navigates InDesign track changes.

http://www.kerntiff.co.uk/products-4-indesign/editmarks/editmarks-navigator

The script can be used to create a report detailing, who, where and when the changes were made.

P.