1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 11:47 AM by Joel Cherney

Symbol Font not shown when placing text

Thomas19741974

HI all,

my problem: when placing a Word docx into InDesign 5.5, all characters that are formated in Word with the SYMBOL font, won't show as such in InDesign. Instead they are shown as ordinary letters. I use a SYMBOL ttf, i guess in the Windows folder. Placing this ttf file into the InDesign Font folder did not do the job. What can I do so that the import is just perfect??

Regards

• 1. Re: Symbol Font not shown when placing text
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What can I do so that the import is just perfect??

Absolutely nothing.

No, seriously. All day long I place Word docs in InDesign, and "perfect" import is impossible. "Better" is doable, though.

Because I place an insane variety of types of Word formatting into InDesign, I suspect I know what you're talking about. What symbol are you losing? Is it the bullet from a bulleted list? An automatically inserted glyph, like a copyright symbol? There are a bunch of automatic substitutions that happen within Word that don't make it out of Word files, and I have a collection of VBA scripts in Word that convert that stuff into plain-old symbols. You'll probably have to do something like that.

(But try saving RTF out of Word first, and placing that - perhaps VBA cleanup will be unnecessary if that works for you.)